I really should know better but....(Bose 901 musings)

I`m sorry to say and admit that i am also skeptical , that`s why i asked for pictures ...
I would like to see some pictures of those new and improved drivers , should n`t be to hard to pry off those screens and everybody has telephone camera nowadays . easiest and quickest way to get this over with.

I`ll be trying cross wiring later this weekend,have to work tomorrow,but very curious about that.
Love those cables...

Attachments

• kabeltjes.jpg
    kabeltjes.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
As far as the cross wiring goes, I wasn't really arguing with that concept. It had to do with these alleged speakers he claims to have, but Bose apparently knows nothing about. If it turns out I'm wrong, I'll apologize in a heartbeat, but until then I'd like to see some real proof.
.....fair enough, FreeToAir, but I had a woman at Bose tell me one time all the Bose equalizers did the very same thing and were all just alike, and Series VI had just come out....now, it's been proposed they aren't all alike....I'm just saying you never really know who you're talking to at Bose, and points could certainly be misinterpreted as well.....

.....how do you have your Series VI 901's positioned?....what are you pushing them with?....if new guys post in speakers before posting in the Introductions Forum, they have to post a picture of their system here in speakers....Rule 29-C-subclause-4....just a head's-up, Grumpy leans on that one kinda' heavy when he roams about.....

Last edited:
.....HiFiSoundGuy, is there any way you can take a picture of your 4 901s as you have them now, or describe how they're now positioned?....are you still using two 901 eq's affecting each speaker of your four, one on your tape-monitor and one between the pre-amp and amp?.....
Sorry, but I don't have a digital camera to take pictures. I asked all my friends and none of them have a digital camera. No, I'm not still using two equalizers now and I'm not using the bose 901 speaker stands. After listening more I found out they sounded better with three large brass Mi-Rollers under each 901 speaker. I also have three Mi-Rollers under the bose equalizer too. I now have both pair of 901's stacked on top of a 24 inch tall end tables and its about 14 inches from front wall to the back side tip of the 901's. I have my 901's 6 feet 8 inches apart from each other and they are a little more than 4 FT from the left side wall and a little more than 2 FT from the right side wall. My walls and ceiling are all hard coated and my room is about 16 FT by 22 FT and they are carpet on the floor. Like I said before, I talked to one of the bose techs if they had been any changes to the 901's before buying mine and he said yes and told me about the improvements done on them. Right where you hook up the speaker wire to the 901's it says, bose 901 series 6 version 2 . Back years ago when I got my Mi-Roller they had Demo large brass mi-rollers for a, I think it was about $6 each. I don't know if they are still selling demo large mi-rollers at that price. Here's a good review on the mi-rollers ....... http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1004/mirollers.htm

Last edited:
.....how do you have your Series VI 901's positioned?....what are you pushing them with?....if new guys post in speakers before posting in the Introductions Forum, they have to post a picture of their system here in speakers....Rule 29-C-subclause-4....just a head's-up, Grumpy leans on that one kinda' heavy when he roams about.....

I don't have series 6 anymore, I have series 4. I just re foamed them. I have them sitting on the 901 pedestals that Bose makes for them. I have them a cpl of feet out from the back wall and a cpl of feet away from the side wall, with the backs of the speakers facing the back wall. I'm currently pushing them with a 100 watt per ch Bose Spatial Control Receiver. Regardless what some may think of 901s, I guarantee you my system jams and gets down with it. I've done some interesting tweaks that really bring these babies to life. The bass I now get out of them is incredible for speakers their size. This tweak I did, well it's something I came up with just recently. Since my other hobby is satellite dishes, such as Cband and KU, I came up with this idea. I can certainly tell a big difference in the sound. The bass I'm now getting is tight tight, and well defined. The louder I turn it up, the more profound the bass gets. Before the tweak, I experienced that so called wind the Bose 901s are famous for, when cranking up the sound. I find it a bit annoying myself. After this tweak, I've yet to hear that wind sound when cranking them. The bass stays well defined now, even at gut wrenching levels.

The reason I acted so boldly in my last post is because I called Bose yesterday.
I called their sales dept at 1 800 444 BOSE. The sales guy assured me no such improvements have been done to the 901s. Why would he tell me that, if improvements have been done lately? He assured me if improvements had been done, the website would reflect that. Is it possible that Bose's own sales reps would be ignorant of this kind of info? I don't see how. They would have to be familiar with the line of Bose products I would think.

I talked to one of the bose techs not someone in the sales dept. If they have a bose outlet near you go find out for yourself that they are selling bose 901 series 6 version 2 now.

I talked to one of the bose techs not someone in the sales dept. If they have a bose outlet near you go find out for yourself that they are selling bose 901 series 6 version 2 now.

No Bose outlet in this city, so can't do that. But I did the next best thing, I emailed Bose's tech dept to see if I could get more info on these alleged new and improved speakers. Since it's indeed possible that the sales people might not be aware of everything going on with Bose products, I know for a fact that the tech people would know. When I receive their response, I'll post it here for all to see. I could just call them again in the meantime, but I'd rather have it in writing, so that way there's no doubts left in people's minds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.

We have received your email. We will respond to all messages within 3 - 5 business days.

If you are contacting us with a technical concern, please allow more response time, as we may need to consult our technical staff for a resolution.

If you need immediate assistance, please contact our representatives at the telephone number below.

Thank you,

Bose Corporation
US Telephone: (800) 367-4008
International Tel: (508)766-1099
Fax Number: (508) 766-1919
Email: http://www.bose.com/ContactUS
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30AM-9:00PM, Sat 9:00AM-5:00PM (EST)
Visit our Website: www.bose.com
----------------------------------------------------

***This is a system generated response. Please do not reply to this message.***
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess we'll all know in a cpl of days. This time we'll have the official answer in writing, so to speak. And if it turns out that Bose actually did do a version 2 of the series 6, I'm going to buy me a pair just for the hell of it. But I don't suspect I'll be looking for that UPS truck anytime soon tho. I guess we'll know soon enough.

I called two of my friends to see if we could get my 901's to sound even better. I just sat there and listened the music as my two friends moved the 901's inch by inch. We did get them to sound a little better with the speakers 12 inches from front wall to the tip of the 901's with the speakers toed-in a little. If you have two other people helping you set-up these 901's you can find the G-Spot :yes: for the 901's in your room a lot faster. My friends could not believe the sound coming out of my 901's ! One of them has been going to the CES Show for years and said he's never heard better sounding speakers ! He told me only time he's heard sound like that was at a live concert !...

Sorry, but I don't have a digital camera to take pictures. I asked all my friends and none of them have a digital camera. No, I'm not still using two equalizers now and I'm not using the bose 901 speaker stands. After listening more I found out they sounded better with three large brass Mi-Rollers under each 901 speaker. I also have three Mi-Rollers under the bose equalizer too. I now have both pair of 901's stacked on top of a 24 inch tall end tables and its about 14 inches from front wall to the back side tip of the 901's. I have my 901's 6 feet 8 inches apart from each other and they are a little more than 4 FT from the left side wall and a little more than 2 FT from the right side wall. My walls and ceiling are all hard coated and my room is about 16 FT by 22 FT and they are carpet on the floor. Like I said before, I talked to one of the bose techs if they had been any changes to the 901's before buying mine and he said yes and told me about the improvements done on them. Right where you hook up the speaker wire to the 901's it says, bose 901 series 6 version 2 . Back years ago when I got my Mi-Roller they had Demo large brass mi-rollers for a, I think it was about $6 each. I don't know if they are still selling demo large mi-rollers at that price. Here's a good review on the mi-rollers ....... http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1004/mirollers.htm

Perhaps it's just me, but for someone that has new and improved Bose 901s in a room with a large plasma tv, and several friends to boot, yet no one has a digital camera, nor a digital cell phone that takes pictures..well..you don't have to draw me a picture..there's something wrong about that picture. But not to worry tho. I'm simply finding some of this stuff amusing. It's usually the other way around. The Bose haters usually find the Bose lovers amusing. I wouldn't call myself a Bose lover tho, but I do like their 901s for the most part. The rest of their products, I have little interest in them.

....Series 6 version 2 901s have drivers from a different supplier than the version 1 drivers....I got this about 10a from the 1-800-367-4008 number, option 6, from a Bose tech named Mike....he pulled up visual shots of both versions on his screen, and said there didn't appear to be a difference on the cone surfaces in any way, like the addition of a whizzer-cone for a concentrated throw of higher frequencies....so, maybe that's out, but the cones are, and always have been made from paper, so maybe HiFiSoundGuy was told something wrong on a misinterpretation from an inexperienced Bose tech, I don't know.....

.....I actually called twice, getting a Chris the first time, and he told me the version 1s were rated at 250 watts continuous, and the version 2's were rated at 450 continuous....Chris didn't say anything about them being different drivers from different suppliers, either....on the second call, Mike said they were both rated at 450 watts continuous, and mentioned the drivers were from different suppliers....see what I mean?....crap, don't worry about all the technical jargon, just hook 'em up and crack sheetrock.....

Last edited:
....Series 6 version 2 901s have drivers from a different supplier than the version 1 drivers....I got this about 10a from the 1-800-367-4008 number, option 6, from a Bose tech named Mike....he pulled up visual shots of both versions on his screen, and said there didn't appear to be a difference on the cone surfaces in any way, like the addition of a whizzer-cone for a concentrated throw of higher frequencies....so, maybe that's out, but the cones are, and always have been made from paper, so maybe HiFiSoundGuy was told something wrong on a misinterpretation from an inexperienced Bose tech, I don't know.....

.....I actually called twice, getting a Chris the first time, and he told me the version 1s were rated at 250 watts continuous, and the version 2's were rated at 450 continuous....Chris didn't say anything about them being different drivers from different suppliers, either....on the second call, Mike said they were both rated at 450 watts continuous, and mentioned the drivers were from different suppliers....see what I mean?....crap, don't worry about all the technical jargon, just hook 'em up and crack sheetrock, I always say.....

Perhaps I reason things differently than most folks. Starting at series 3, and up unto series 6, Bose made it where the back grilles are easily removed. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to remove that back grill and check for themselves. I'd almost bet a 3 year old could figure out how to get that back grille off. Once the back grille is off, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to discern whether the cone has whizzer or not. A 3 year old might not be able to tell, but any adult familiar with this hobby, they could easily know, just by looking. Only in my opin tho.

Since I'm the new guy here, and the fact I don't know anyone yet, then it's all about credibility. Who in here is credible? That's what I'm trying to determine, lol. For example, if I'm going to consider taking advice of other forum members, I'm probably going to ignore the advice of the ones that prove not to have any credibility concerning certain things. If someone is going to advise me to try something that may cost a few hundred bucks to try, I'm going to make sure that person is credible first. Only an idiot wouldn't.

Ok, I took one of the back covers off my 901 series 6 version 2 speakers and they have NO whizzer-cones BUT these speaker drivers look different from the series 6 version 1 speaker drivers I've seen selling on E-bay. The series 6 version 2 drivers have a ruffled type surrounds on them so they must be using a different supplier now.

Perhaps I reason things differently than most folks.
.....and maybe, you're used to other audio sites where attacking and name calling run rampant....that doesn't happen here at AK, at least for very long.....

.....one thing I've had to learn the hard way here, more than once, and I'm sure this applies to about all active members, is not to make a statement of fact, unless I know it's a fact....to "wing" something here at AK, will bring someone responding as a hawk out of the hayloft to make you feel stupid....you either know something to be a fact, or you don't....but....asking ANY question is fine.....

.....FreeToAir, again I say welcome to AudioKarma....if you're set on your Bose system and don't really want to read much on things audio, check out the off-topic forums and jump in....there's forums for photography, cooking, gardening, and all kinds of interesting threads everywhere......

.....and maybe, you're used to other audio sites where attacking and name calling run rampant....that doesn't happen here at AK, at least for very long.....

.....one thing I've had to learn the hard way here, more than once, and I'm sure this applies to about all active members, is not to make a statement of fact, unless I know it's a fact....to "wing" something here at AK, will bring someone responding as a hawk out of the hayloft to make you feel stupid....you either know something to be a fact, or you don't....but....asking ANY question is fine.....

.....FreeToAir, again I say welcome to AudioKarma....if you're set on your Bose system and don't really want to read much on things audio, check out the off-topic forums and jump in....there's forums for photography, cooking, gardening, and all kinds of interesting threads everywhere......

I'm not attacking anyone. You're simply misenterpreting me. If folks are going to make claims, especially on the net, why would it be too much to ask for proof? I used to work for a hillbilly redneck here locally. He rode around in a beat up old ugly truck, lived in a shack, but even he had a cellphone that takes pictures. Who these days doesn't have access to a digital camera or a cellphone that takes pics? Apparently someone with new and improved 901s. Even if it turns out that Bose did improve these lately, this still doesn't prove HiFi actually owns a pair. Some folks like to mock the 901s. I've seen it too many times. I've seen a lot of folks pretend to have them, just so they could mock them. There's just too many coincidences. No 901 owner would turn these around backwards, then claim they sound better. Then turn them around the right way, and now claim they sound like a live band. Why didn't they sound like a live band when they were turned around backwards, if they allegedly sounded better that way? Too many coincidences that just don't add up. I'm probably more familiar with the 901s than anyone in here. In the last 30 years, I've owned series 1, series 3, series 4, series 5, and series 6. I now own series 4 again. I usually tire of these things and get rid of them after awhile. But for some reason, I find myself always wanting a pair again.

I'm probably more familiar with the 901s than anyone in here.

I have seniority. I still own a pair I ordered in 1968, just a month or two after the first reviews appeared in High Fidelity and Stereo Review. I also have a Series II and a Series IV.

I also have a pair of Mag SMGas, KEF 105/3 and TimeFrame 600s. These are all good speakers with lots of fans, but like you, I keep going back to the 901s.

I won't argue that they are objectively more accurate, but I like them.

In order to feed them I have had to acquire some big power amps. That's taken a while on my limited budget, but I now have amps that don't die. I also have a storage box full of Series I and Series II drivers, purchased on ebay. The Series I have cloth surrounds, but I had to replace one driver that just failed.

The Series II were purchased used, and I think the drivers had been replaced by Bose. The Series IV have been refoamed.

I have tried turning them around, but after a while it becomes clear that it just ain't right.

I have seniority. I still own a pair I ordered in 1968, just a month or two after the first reviews appeared in High Fidelity and Stereo Review.

In that case, I retract my prev statement. I wouldn't be the most familiar with them then. But I am very familiar with them tho, and know for a fact they don't, nor ever did, sound better turned around backwards. I've turned them around backwards before. It didn't take me long to determine that's not the way to do it. if you expect to get good sound out of these things. And as far as these sounding like a live band, on certain recordings, in my opin, these indeed can sound similar to a live band. I don't know how many in here listen to mp3, ogg, flac, etc, but at http://www.archive.org/details/etree there are some recordings here that absolutely come to life via my 901s. Not all the recordings sound real great, but there are many many that sound stellar to my ears. I usually use vlc-1.2.0-git-20101027-0002 to play these files, then feed the sound card to the Bose Spatial Control Receiver.

.....ok, if you guys are through measuring, :D, I have a question for both of you....of the 901's you've owned, which series sounds, or sounded, the best to you?.....

Last edited:
Bose must be using very.. very good speaker drivers in these new bose 901 series 6 version 2's because I mostly listen to the music channels on DirecTV and most ever thing sounds "very Live", much like you hear at a live performance !

Bose must be using very.. very good speaker drivers in these new Bose 901 series 6 version 2's because I mostly listen to the music channels on DirecTV and most ever thing sounds "very Live", much like you hear at a live performance !
.....I hear ya', HiFi....glad you're happy with your system, that's what it's all about....I guess it took Series II 901's and a Marantz 3300 pre-amp to make two equalizers sound right, I don't know, but I'm still disappointed over negative reports of trying two eq's....and, I can't help but wonder if treble tone controls were at 5 o'clock.....

The official word from Bose, in writing, so to speak..

It looks like Bose's sales dept is clueless about it't products, since they told me just the opposite. The tech dept just sent me this reply

*****To reply to this message, please select the reply button. To help us expedite your inquiry, please be sure to include our original response.******

Hello David TH:

Yes it is true..you have to make sure the label on the speaker itself says 901 Series VI Version II. This version just came out about 3 months ago. Otherwise, if you just see 901 Series VI (without the version II)..then the speakers could have been made anytime from 1988 to 2010.

Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.
Kevin
Product and Technical Support Team
-------------------------------------------------
Bose Corporation
US Telephone: (800)367-4008
International Tel: (508)766-1900
Email: http://www.bose.com/ContactUs
Fax: (800)278-7970
Telephone Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30AM-9:00PM, Sat 9:00AM-5:00PM (EST)
-------------------------------------------------
Music has the power to move you -and Bose has an iPod speaker system that moves with your music. The SoundDock Portable digital music system reproduces your favorite tunes with fullness and clarity. And it's so compact, you can take it just about anywhere, even outdoors. Ask about our special package prices. Call 800-767-4131 to learn more about our exciting options or visit http://www.bose.com

------------------------------
Technical Support Information:
[Email Id:1-8QLRA8]
[Email Agent Id:1-FJC4V]
[Queue Id:1-HMFN]

It looks like I owe someone an apology bigtime.

HiFiSoundGuy, I want to apologize big time for doubting you. I guess those coincidences that didn't add up, I guess they were really coincidences after all. i'll understand if you don't want to except my apology. Wouldn't blame you at all. But I'm still going to man up to my part here, and admit I was simply wrong about you. I simply thought this was a big joke once Bose sales dept said this wasn't true. Everything went kind of downhill from there, on my part. I sincerely feel bad about it. Since you don't know me, perhaps that doesn't mean much to you, but I do sincerely feel bad. If you say you have a pair of these, i'm no longer going to doubt your word. You proved your case as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to have to get me a pair of these now. Don't know when, but I've got to have a pair is all I know. I guess I could trade my series 4 in their trade up program and probably get a pretty good price reduction on them.

Back
Top Bottom