I work on Sansui

kevzep

Its all about the Music
Sometimes I work on Pioneer, Akai and JVC, even the odd Perreaux. Mostly its Sansui...
I have at the moment in the queue, Sansui 310, AU777, AU9500, QRX7500A, QRX777, QRX7001, 2 x AU-X1...
Its busy in the Lab!!
Picture of the queue, inside the most original and pristine 777 anyone is likely to see, and when I was doing the IF alignment on the little Sansui 310.....
Its all go around here at the moment..!!
Sansui queue.jpg 777.jpeg IF Alignment on 310-.jpeg

Nice setup! I once restored an AU9500. It was probably the easiest restoration I've had with all those pull-out PCBs.

It’s been a while since I’ve worked it, but I’m pretty sure only the preamp section isn’t plug in.

It’s been a while since I’ve worked it, but I’m pretty sure only the preamp section isn’t plug in.
Pretty much its just the power-amp modules that plug in everything else is hardwired.

But even so, I like working on them....they are by far the easiest brand to work on..

Overall, I do agree with that statement. All except the damn AU-919!!

I had fun today chasing a popping on a Pioneer SX-780. Turn the function switch, flip the monitor switches, and they would all pop DC at the output. Then move the volume control, and it would DC the crap out of everything. Put it in protect it was so bad. Cleaned the controls, checked/touched up solder, checked caps, no joy. Let it sit for awhile, and the deoxit made it act a bit better on certain functions. Re-deoxit, and still no joy. Took the tape monitor (1) switch apart, cleaned what looked like varnish on the contacts off, and it works like a charm now. It took MEK to get that crap off. Crazy hardened grease I assume. FUN!

Looking forward to a Sansui to work on.... It is all Marantz and Pioneer over here right now.

Have fun Kev!!

Great shot of your lab with all the machinery that allows you to peer deeply :thumbsup: curious what you think of the restored 777.

Overall, I do agree with that statement. All except the damn AU-919!!

I had fun today chasing a popping on a Pioneer SX-780. Turn the function switch, flip the monitor switches, and they would all pop DC at the output. Then move the volume control, and it would DC the crap out of everything. Put it in protect it was so bad. Cleaned the controls, checked/touched up solder, checked caps, no joy. Let it sit for awhile, and the deoxit made it act a bit better on certain functions. Re-deoxit, and still no joy. Took the tape monitor (1) switch apart, cleaned what looked like varnish on the contacts off, and it works like a charm now. It took MEK to get that crap off. Crazy hardened grease I assume. FUN!

Looking forward to a Sansui to work on.... It is all Marantz and Pioneer over here right now.

Have fun Kev!!
Actually, I think the AU-X1 could be in that category too......things can get a bit difficult on those....But I know them quite well so I don't find it too frustrating....

At least it wasn't a dodgy amp module on the 780!! (I think they have those dont they)

I'm with you, Kevzep. Sansuis seem to follow me home.
210 (on the bench)
350A
1000 tube receiver
1000X (recapped and sounding good)
3000A
5000A (two of these)
AU-517
TU-517
TR-707A

I'm with you, Kevzep. Sansuis seem to follow me home.
210 (on the bench)
350A
1000 tube receiver
1000X (recapped and sounding good)
3000A
5000A (two of these)
AU-517
TU-517
TR-707A
The great thing here is I just work on all this stuff, I don't buy any of it, I have a nice little customer base that keeps me in pocket money to do my Motorsport pursuits.
It also gives me great insight as to what Sansui's I really like so if I am wanting to buy, I know what I want. Like right now I have one of the two AU-X1's soaking on the bench playing some music whilst I work on this QRX7001 which is a bit of a mess...
Having just said that, there will be a G9000 heading my way soon which is going to be mine and a keeper, I should never have sold the one I had...!! Its a fixer-upper, but thats all good news for me, I like working on the Big G's...

Those are mine, but I got them because I couldn't pass up the cheap prices. All except the 517 pair were less than a Franklin. Several were less than a Jackson. The guy who sold me the 3000 receiver threw in what he said was a busted amp but turned out to be an HK Citation 11 preamp that was pristine under its coat of nicotine. It was lonely so I found a Citation 12 amp to keep it company. But I have more Sansui than anything else.

Sometimes I work on Pioneer, Akai and JVC, even the odd Perreaux. Mostly its Sansui...
I have at the moment in the queue, Sansui 310, AU777, AU9500, QRX7500A, QRX777, QRX7001, 2 x AU-X1...
Its busy in the Lab!!
Picture of the queue, inside the most original and pristine 777 anyone is likely to see, and when I was doing the IF alignment on the little Sansui 310.....
View attachment 1143931 View attachment 1143932 View attachment 1143935
Damn kev - you got serious about this repair stuff!!

Seems like you are having fun!! Very Nice!

Well, except with the QRX7001, it has had the Muppets having a go at it, poor thing has serious issues...

Damn kev - you got serious about this repair stuff!!

When I do something, I do it right, all in!!
I have quite a bit of work, got a few regulars too, its been really good, and most understand I have a full time job as well so I don't get under any pressure to get things done, its working well so far...

Last edited:
There are benefits to working primarily on one brand as well, common parts, familiarity with design etc etc. There is just that 'something that sets Sansui apart from the other brands that brings a smile every time I finish one and bring it up to voltage on the bench.

Its busy in the Lab!!
Just the person i would like info from.....hi,i have an AU717 that has a loudness switch issue.When i switch the loudness my left side is very loud and my right stays the same...tried spraying,nothing,...this has happened a couple times and then all of a sudden it would work again sometimes takes weeks....any suggestions?
thanks.

Its busy in the Lab!!
Just the person i would like info from.....hi,i have an AU717 that has a loudness switch issue.When i switch the loudness my left side is very loud and my right stays the same...tried spraying,nothing,...this has happened a couple times and then all of a sudden it would work again sometimes takes weeks....any suggestions?
thanks.

Back
Top Bottom