I would appreciate some speaker ideas

EJC1

We are in the process of purchasing a new home and of course I'll be reinstalling my home theatre in the new house.

The area for the setup is an open area. I have access to run wire through the attic or the basement. There is no room for speaker stands or mounting on the wall

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-A1070 so power and speaker options are not a problem.

Front main R&L will be Klipsch Forte IIs
Center will be a BA VRC

My thoughts are to go with speakers mounted in the ceiling. - 2 front and 4 rear.
I have not looked at ceiling speakers in a good many years.

I'd love to hear ideas for decent speakers for in-ceiling mounting
Also, will I need a baffle to protect the exposed cones in the attic

Thanks

I have to say that you have quite the 'odd couple' of front 3 speakers of 2 Klipsch 'horn' based speakers and a Boston Acoustics aluminum "AMD" hard dome tweeter with the 'Reference-quality Boston Sound™'.
I'd recommend either getting 2 Boston speakers with the same tweeter or, likely the cheaper alternative, a Klipsch center speaker to match the Forte's.

As for ceiling speakers the Boston Acoustics Bravo are small surface mount speakers that would match your center. I'm sure Klipsch makes similar products that would match your fronts. You might look into automotive speakers to get a 'weatherproof' in ceiling speaker.

Are you sure you can't incorporate speaker stands or wall mounting? Once you install ceiling speakers there's not much in the way of adjusting/moving for sound quality, imaging, etc.

Are you sure you can't incorporate speaker stands or wall mounting? Once you install ceiling speakers there's not much in the way of adjusting/moving for sound quality, imaging, etc.

I've started modifying my ideas.
I switching the front R&Ls to Klipsch RB61IIs. The Klipsch Forte IIs will be moved to my HK 500A tube amp for vinyl.
I will use a Def Tech sound bar for the center channel
The rear seemed to make more sense with a surface mount instead of in-wall

So as typical, the process will evolve

Really the 3 front channels should be identical. It really subtracts from the total presentation when the sound changes as a voice or effect moves across the screen. I know this will cause you distress. I'm fortunate my speakers though the center is half the size uses the same tweeters, only one identical mid instead of two and two identical woofers instead of 4. But the sound is the same. You might try a Hersey of the same age, to get identical tweeter and mid sound. I assume you use a Sub, so in the HT mode the sound below 80 hz for the center channel can be sent to the sub. In the stereo mode you won't be using the Hersey any way. Another reason to stay with Klipsch is the efficiency of the speakers will remain high, the idea of using a Boston with the screaming peaky highs that is much less efficient than your Forte's is going to penalize your system.

Last edited:
So is this question about the rear/side channels? Are you doing a 5.1, 7.1 or something else?

So is this question about the rear/side channels? Are you doing a 5.1, 7.1 or something else?

The question was originally for the rear/sides/front effects. The plan was to go at least 5.1 and if possible 7.1.
My thinking has shifted a bit and now thinking of using conventional speakers mounted on the wall.
I also switched from the Klipsch Forte IIs as R&L speakers to a DefTech sound bar for R&L&C
The Forte's will now be matched with an HK 500A amp and Thorens Turntable in another room.

Back
Top Bottom