I would like your opinions on the best SS receiver, made during the 1970's...

Dr. Ears

that has both preamp "IN's and "OUT's"?
I know the Marantz's are pretty, but what is the best overall receiver?
I need it to drive 86 db speakers.

Sounds like there could be a lot of answers to that one -
I have a Luxman R-1050 that I am partial to. Wonderful sound, build quality, etc. Still needed a re-cap however and some refurbishment - does not have preamp in and outs though.

In addition to the Marantz's - there are some Pioneers I would like to check out or try, McIntosh, etc. I think this question has been asked quite a bit, and reviewed on web articles as well; a web search could prove very fruitful too.

MAC 4100 is pretty nice as are Luxman RX-103. Sansui G-9000 would be up there as well as Marantz 2385 and Pioneer SX-1250.

Everything I mentioned is 90 watts+. That's where I'd want to be with 86db speakers.

that has both preamp "IN's and "OUT's"?
I know the Marantz's are pretty, but what is the best overall receiver?
I need it to drive 86 db speakers.

As said, many answers to that question and the precise definition of what constitutes "best" is subject to individual interpretation and priorities. No single receiver will be ever be "best" in all departments. "Monster receivers" of the late '70s can be quite good, but can also be bears to service and certain parts can be difficult to source. Ability to drive low impedance loads is another area that varies from one unit to another; few receivers ever made can deal with loads much below 4 ohm. So that's another consideration. And on and on...

That said, my pick for the finest all around receiver of the 1970s is the McIntosh MAC4100 - which incidentally does have the rare ability (in a receiver) to drive 2 ohms. It is extremely well built and there's no shortage of specialized expertise for servicing. Tuner section is quite good and the controls are minimal for the amount of usefulness they provide. The amplifier section is safeguarded by three different protection systems which not only protect the unit itself, but the speakers connected to it.

I believe the MAC4100 may have been the single most expensive receiver at the time of introduction - $1,500 in 1978.

i have a few and my favorite is the marantz 2245 , the 2270 is pretty much the same sound but with more power

6FaplK9UjEwjLacjtFnn-NNFe7n91oj1q3XmSH5FHtqtmbf2NDWY-WVz2Gi1ZSMCnSmB34f6Nz4iVF_PAwdZg-PlbZ4NeqBGiia7KA4-P26Qe_9WeJDHHf6gUJqEyY11NBPiKdJDExnv9gkq5m0VWyYFuOvx2ky9mA4M6SsdB0jsadwsc8PeLn0Y3TqK1H55vMPWawtDNJVqnbhoma5haDjA2-9s1n7slVOl4vrmnbBCKKS2J7Aw9rG7YkEOig6UfdmjlicneIozIELGBmmuVKkjU14dPEu4Rs3JGG5_wP_dAE46AwyR5FWnnoRFLFDpV7iqXCbl6tWTTEWNr6V33-HA9IaeTNYnekPSsnDH3jpgM6P7AOjE8HWouKayKce4pH5QPOY2CiJHOb2lI3_P4L4lUUPmekeJfjDuO8ATZSGoCmQOdNR8NBEvskCtgo_iJ7Xb1KzMa2CggyqLAeOwMkt7DO4_KFCqOml0HhqkMsvoA0AoKZIo4skWV_fwJetgi6N9co2D9odwAGgaJpd-cBfPOH-Ka5Fjr8La0ayCG7qoXlmC2Gd7knxkxpIp_Meuy0k7qXjujMj8v_ETpxvAQ7wMiUYS1qdwG53U6LRA2QS-YBzTQt-9oR6Vi-qdTZf5Y7BRssn6MGsLJC995PZ4Y3f45h4AP7kc=w1221-h915-no

Define "best".

Without a working definition, it is pointless to ask. You might as well ask people what their favorite receivers are.

My favorites....Onkyo tx8500, sansui 9090db, sansui z9000, pioneer sx1250. The 1250 is probably my #1 favorite of the bunch.

I'm going to have to go down to storage to figure this one out. Best looking? Marantz or Yamaha, or maybe even Pioneer, although the Sansui's are also bad-ass. Best sounding? Mine are all over 40 years old and even with good hearing they all sound great with an occasional lumper that needs restoration. Unfortunately there is no perfect answer which is half the fun of the hobby, the other half is buying everything and trying it out to find which your ears love the best. Of course your speaker selection might screw up your results and don't even thing about turntables.

Driving 86 db speakers properly isn't an easy task ,without knowing your budget I've gotta agree with the McIntosh 4100 & I'll give my reasons ,if you need to upgrade and use an external amp the Mcintosh preamp section will far exceed the performance of the usual recommendations of the insanely priced Pioneer SX-1980 ,another favorite of my receiver days is the much overlooked and reasonably priced MCS-3125 ,it's got a beefy 200wpc amp section and a preamp section that I found to far out performs the pioneer spec series separates I had ,the MCS was made for JC Penney by NEC and it was made with upgrading to separates in mind ,you can use the onboard 200 watt amp ,or use an external amp to drive your woofers and use the onboard amp to biamp with the MCS amp section on top,I did it with Teledyne AR-9s with outstanding success ,the MCS will be reasonably priced like the McIntosh 4100 ,I'd stay away from the usual suspects simply because they now cost more than a pair of top of the line 600 watt Emotiva monoblocks along with a fantastic preamp .

My favorite of the Marantz/Pioneer/Yamaha of this era is the Pioneer SX-1010, if not for the styling I'd consider the big Yamaha (can't remember the model I had, 2010?).

Owning or hearing many of them, except the Mac, they are all slightly different sounding to a discerning listener. I swap them in and out of duty and they all play strong powerful clear beautiful music.....................i love them all, but one sounds like it very serious about giving you something special and is the most addictive , sansui "to me" has the greatest stereo separation and depth, instant tone gratification with little or no tweaking. Im not sure I have ever found "the Technics sound" or "the brand x sound" but the "Sansui Sound" is fairly obvious. They were one of Japans best Transformer Companies, years before their 70s SS receiver line, so they already had the most important part nailed. .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom