IC suggestions for Benz Wood SL, Thorens TD145, BM PP-1MC preamp

doctor fuse

Could you knowledgeable folks give me some suggestions for an affordable interconnect (hopefully <$50!) for a Benz Micro Wood SL MC cartridge, a Thorens TD145 (TP16 tonearm), into a Benz Micro Lukaschek PP-1 MC preamp?

I have heard about inductance and capacitance and impedance of cables affecting cartridge "loading", but I haven't yet wrapped my head around these concepts.

I would like to hear about specific cables that are currently available, and whether you think it is a worthwhile upgrade or not. I'd rather not read specifics about what to expect in terms of changes to the sound presentation, as I don't want to be influenced one way or another.

Why on earth would you spend some pretty big bucks for a Micro Benze wood sl and then run it through cheap wires??

We all run out of money at some point I know, but I would wait until I had more cash before I would do that.

Could you knowledgeable folks give me some suggestions for an affordable interconnect (hopefully <$50!) for a Benz Micro Wood SL MC cartridge, a Thorens TD145 (TP16 tonearm), into a Benz Micro Lukaschek PP-1 MC preamp?

I have heard about inductance and capacitance and impedance of cables affecting cartridge "loading", but I haven't yet wrapped my head around these concepts.

I would like to hear about specific cables that are currently available, and whether you think it is a worthwhile upgrade or not. I'd rather not read specifics about what to expect in terms of changes to the sound presentation, as I don't want to be influenced one way or another.
MC carts dont suffer issues with capacitance etc so wasting your money. Are the cables you have damaged? Are the plugs tarnished? If not spend the money on more records. Nice cart by the way, I have one in my collection, very nice mids, very in room and sweet.
Chris

I shouldn't of gone there.

OP, don't get too caught up in all that IC hype out there, you can spend your money elsewhere and be a lot happier. If you start down that road of upgrading IC's, it will never end.

I shouldn't of gone there.

OP, don't get too caught up in all that IC hype out there, you can spend your money elsewhere and be a lot happier. If you start down that road of upgrading IC's, it will never end.
Not True! I stopped at the Wireworld Platnium. LOL!...never to buy phono cables again.

If you need phono cables....try a pair of the Wireworld silver Eclipse. The Analysis Plus may be a bit on the warm side and you have a warm cart. The Wireworld isnt as warm as the Analysis plus. If you need interconnects, they also have the same in interconnects.

A little above your target price, but I swapped a stock SME tonearm cable with one of Audio Sensibility's Impact SE cables.

https://audiosensibility.com/blog/p...o-RCA-Phono-Cable/p/16010588/category=3749226

The RF issues I was having with the SME cable went away. FWIW, I also use a Benz cartridge. Nice sound!

Because they may sound better. Many many Years ago was using some mono price wires. But kept reading about the cable wars...you know like you are starting now. So after some years of reading about the cable wars, curiosity hit me.... I purchased a pair of Analysis Plus Low mas Oval phono cables. WOW! sounded much better than mono price. A few years later I purchased a pair of Wireworld Silver Eclipes phono cables...yes sir up a few more notches. Then a few years later I got a pair of Wireworld Platinum Eclipse phono Cables. DAM DAM DAM! So that's why some one WOULD spend big bucks on wires.
If you know anything about physics or electricity there are only so many tings that can make a difference and the OP mentioned some of them and they affect mostly MM carts not MC.
Also done these blind tests with a friend who was a massive believer in cables, about 20 blind swaps later looking at the results it was clear neither of us could pick a cable blind, but he was adamant he could when he could see what was going on. This is what the situation is for most people ir blind no difference not blind huge (if they are a cable believer) which speaks volumes, and no surprise either if you understand how this all works..
Chris

Inductance and capacitance aren't big issues with LOMC cartridges but I would advise that the cables be well shielded. The left and right channel cables should be completely insulated from each other (no common L/R ground) and there should be a separate earth wire for the tonearm metalwork to avoid any noise/hum issues.
Some of the more expensive "audiophile" cables adopt some strange wiring or aren't shielded at all (because they "sound better" unshielded? :dunno: ) and should be avoided.

I find the Morrow IC lineup to be a great value and provides the ability to move up the line if desired.

[Mod Edit, received from this member, who is apologetic]

Apologies. I got a bit carried away...If someone is going to get cables for a MC cart there are real things that matter and real things that don't matter. No magic to cables but some things that need to be considered. My point is MC carts are not really susceptible to capacitance so high or low capacitance wont really make any difference. Inductance changes with capacitance so again no real issues, yes resistance matters but most wires are going to be low unless there is something very wrong with the wire or plugs. Silver is lower resistance than copper, but in real terms it wont matter a jot over a short length of interconnect as differences are tiny. This is all different for MM carts as capacitance WILL change the frequency curve of the cart so low capacitance rca's are very important to get the best from a MM cart.
The OP asked for recommendations for wire for a MC cart, one I own, my advice here is get something low resistance and low capacitance as this means later if you get a MM cart the RCA will be good for that purpose too. Brand name wires are not important it is all about what they really are. I buy my coax from a guy who fits out recording studios it had good double shielding and it is low capacitance and he sells it to me quite cheap. I buy solid strong long lasting plugs and make them up myself to the length I need cost would be maybe 25 buck and they will be as good as anything you will get. Making them myself I can keep the capacitance to a minimum as I can make the lead just long enough for my needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderation Note:

This thread has been cleaned up of disrespectful, thread crapping, and off-topic posts. A couple of participants have been removed from participation in the thread. Some content of dubious contributory value may have been lost in the clean-up, in the interest of effort and time.

Now, the OP asked an honest question, and some respondents have posted attempts to help. Others immediately began to sneer and mock. I would not recommend a resumption of such.

Rich P

It doesn't matter for LOMC, nor particularly for very short runs of cable, but Blue Jeans LC-1 is widely regarded as outstanding for build quality, extremely low capacitance (especially useful for MM) and very reasonable price. 2 ft RCA/RCA pairs are <$35. I'm surprised Blue Jeans wasn't already mentioned in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom