Ideal Innovation's amps

reyneman

Requiescat in pace
OK, I admit it- I have NO idea which way I want to go in my listening enjoyment.

Low powered tubes, high powered tube, vintage, new, Solid Sate? (OK, I'll retract the last from this forum:p: )

Reading through older posts, I see many have the same problem I do - mayhaps there's something in this tube stuff, but if not, if it's not my cup of tea, where to start?

I saw several who mentioned this company's products. Anyone actually heard them? Any reliable info from your other sources?

I am leaning towards a tube system, and just gathering some info. At this time, I'm leaning towards one of the Jolida integrateds, but my ignorance is so vast that I'm not willing to pull the trigger.

Especially all Rob's talk of improving, modifying, better design- sheesh, you'd think none of this stuff is up to snuff.

Just tweaking, Rob. Bet you're rolling now.;)

Ray,

Ideal Innovation amps appear to be built well and look like good value for the money. I know nothing else about them. I've followed their growth on ebay and have seen their prices go up. I can understand why as I was amazed at first as they seemed to be selling their amps initially for the price of the parts alone.

As far as my circuit mods, it isn't that the stock vintage amp is bad, it is just that everything in engineering is a compromise when built and manufacturers have to target a price point. I'll modify a pair of vintage amps to become better because I know how and because I am after the best I can get for my own system.

It sure helps if you can solder and do electronic work yourself as there are some really good bargains in vintage tube equipment.

Rob

What do you like, Rob? What are the good bargains?

I understand that several vintage lines have a quality of OPT that is hard to match, and similar quality new would cost more than the entire vintage unit could be bought for, but unfortunately I never looked into tube gear or tracked 'best value' lines.

If you have a good starting equipment line that, with a few mods, could become very good, bring it on partner!

And don't you worry bout my soldering skills- NASA certified since the 70s.

Of course, that may not be saying much, considering the track record...:D

Ah, Sasaki, good questions, guess it would be hard to give a recommendation without that info. Sorry.

As you can tell from my original post, budget is all I can get- can't go much beyond $600.

Presently I have speakers that would require a fair amount of power (88db), so I'm fairly stuck with P-P, 20W or so. If I like what I get, would then spend a fair amount of time building up through the future, can't swing new speakers and amps at this time. I do have a pair of Sansuis that are 99dB, but don't think they are discernable enough for me to get anything but gross feelings on tubes, none of the nuances. They do go loud, however.

Presently- want a 'decent' tube amp to evaluate the overall feeling it gives me using equipment I already have and am well familiar with. If I go with an amp rather than an integrated, will use one of the preamps I presently own (sorry, SS units).

At this time, I doubt I could appreciate the nuances between the better amps, and couldn't afford them anyway. Hope this helps you help me.

Thanks in advance for any inputs...Ray

Thanks Sasaki.

Yes, I have looked at these amps, especially since they are available from diycable in NA. My fear is that, since they are kits, if I want to turn them over....

Of course, if they become future 'classics' my son could reap a benefit:)

I noticed you chose a 2A3 amp- more 'magic' than, say, an EL-34? I see that the 2A3 has quite a following, so there must be something to it, but I believe speakers driven would assume a much larger importance. Just wondering...Ray

Yeah, my SET has mucho midrange magic over my former EL 34 based amp. You're correct that the proper speakers are important.

I'm not too fond of the rest of their product line, but Nohr has an economical EL 34 amp that might be worth checking out. Tubes make life good.

Ray,

With those low efficiency speakers you are right, you will need at least 20 watts. This puts you on the edge of what can be had inexpensively in P-P triode. It is easy for P-P pentode on a budget. SE triode....lot'sa dolleros.

Pick up a pair of Dynaco Mark II, or Mark-III's (monoblocks) and I'll show you how to modify them for more triode magic sound. They're going cheap on ebay right now (must be because of the summer) at around $90-$150.

Rob

Originally posted by reyneman

I noticed you chose a 2A3 amp- more 'magic' than, say, an EL-34? I see that the 2A3 has quite a following, so there must be something to it, but I believe speakers driven would assume a much larger importance. Just wondering...Ray

2A3s are a very special tube. They have a following, but some folks do not care for them(I love 'em).
Unfortunately, they are relatively low power...
Jack

Ray...I would say buy and build the Ella pp amp. It's really a nice int. with some decent power. I've also heard the Billies, which are also nice sounding amps. I'm not sure exactly what kind of iron is included with these amps...but I can tell you they are beefy...both amps have great sound at a good price...they have their own forum at AA...so if you get stuck while building them you can ask questions...and when/if your ever ready to try some upgrades/tweaks specific to these amps...you'll find a number of people willing to help you.

...and...by building an int. amp...you won't have to worry about a preamp.

A secret revealed: Many have wondered why the OPT sound so good considering their non-exotic cores. The answer is that the laminations are mixed with vintage military surplus transformer laminations. These are from transformers that have seen years of service. As vintage-buffs know, much of the good sound has to do with long-term conditioning of metals and wire. Mechanical stresses relax over time, facilitating magnetic performance.

This pertains to the Billy now called the LadyDay+ (don't ask).

A secret revealed: Many have wondered why the OPT sound so good considering their non-exotic cores. The answer is that the laminations are mixed with vintage military surplus transformer laminations. These are from transformers that have seen years of service. As vintage-buffs know, much of the good sound has to do with long-term conditioning of metals and wire. Mechanical stresses relax over time, facilitating magnetic performance.

makes you wonder how in the heck one of electra-print's brand new OPT's can sound so good.

Best thing about military surplus is that it is NOT associated directly with audio...although this is changing.

I used to have a couple vehicles that had some long term conditioning of the metal...but we called it rust and corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom