Ideas for stuffing this coffin?

Lavane

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well, it looks like one. I picked up an old pre electrical sewing machine table to use the cast iron legs for a table I'll be building. And this came with it. Its the cover for the old manual sewing machine that was missing from the table. The person who I got it from asked me if I wanted the "coffin" that used to cover the old sewing machine. I said sure! So here it is. Now im thinking of what I could stuff into it. Maybe a guitar amp head?
20170723_101317.jpg 20170723_101323.jpg

2A3 or 45 SET stereo amplifier (unless you are really set on a guitar head amp). Put the tubes on top, the transformers underneath. Maybe figure out a way with a small plug cutter to put a stealth on/off switch on the front (push-button). Not sure how you'd handle the power / inputs / outputs (but they'd be on the back).

Just my $0.02.

-D

2A3 or 45 SET stereo amplifier (unless you are really set on a guitar head amp). Put the tubes on top, the transformers underneath. Maybe figure out a way with a small plug cutter to put a stealth on/off switch on the front (push-button). Not sure how you'd handle the power / inputs / outputs (but they'd be on the back).

Just my $0.02.

-D
Thats one I was thinking of. The 300B I need to finish could have been made to fit. But its already built onto a plate. I have some matched KT-88's. Maybe make a SE amp with those. I mentioned an amphead because thats what first came to mind with the shape of the thing. Or maybe a control console with a passive selector and a phone stage.

I dunno. That flat area in the center of the side, looks ideal to be a control panel. Get some suitably fancy knobs and switches (think steampunk), and some big, coke-bottle tubes to go on top. Or, do a glass top in place of the wood rectangle in the top, and recess the coke bottle tubes inside...

Regards,
Gordon.

Put a bottom on it, and cut around the top to turn it into a chest... Store remote controls in there to keep your listening/viewing area tidy.

I have an Atwater Kent table radio that looks similar, but smaller, the top opens to reveal the tuning and volume controls.Maybe an all American 5 radio?

I dunno. That flat area in the center of the side, looks ideal to be a control panel. Get some suitably fancy knobs and switches (think steampunk), and some big, coke-bottle tubes to go on top. Or, do a glass top in place of the wood rectangle in the top, and recess the coke bottle tubes inside...

Regards,
Gordon.
I thought the same thing about the front flat area. Nice place to use some wood or old brass knobs. Tubes out the top would look cool.

I have an Atwater Kent table radio that looks similar, but smaller, the top opens to reveal the tuning and volume controls.Maybe an all American 5 radio?
Putting radio guts inside makes sense, but would get little use. I have three tuners set up right now and two not in use. I did think about stuffing a small SS amplifier in it too. Maybe a larger class D with cooling fans. Add some round analog meters on the front along with the controls. I have those cool Nixie level indicator tubes and board kit too. Maybe add those as well.

A table stereo. Speakers on sides. Dial and knobs on the front. Brass accents to set it off. A "console pull" could work if the dial had the correct orientation.

If it's tall enough and the top is removable,I'd hinge it and make the whole thing into a booze cabinet.

I like the guitar amp idea with the pots/jacks on the front... however if the tubes are on top, it might look too high...
Maybe a pre amp, or phono stage, with tubes and tx inside, controls on the front panel and some vent holes in back? Would make a good cover for a sewing machine also!!!

I was also thinking that tubes totally sitting on top, would be too tall.

That's why I was suggesting the glass plate on top (recess the tubes inside).

Regards,
Gordon.

If it's tall enough and the top is removable,I'd hinge it and make the whole thing into a booze cabinet.
I built a 7' tall booze cabinet years ago. It sports hanging wine glasses up top, a locking door in the center that folds down into a mixing table. The lower end holds wine bottles. Cool idea though. :thumbsup:

I was also thinking that tubes totally sitting on top, would be too tall.

That's why I was suggesting the glass plate on top (recess the tubes inside).

Regards,
Gordon.
True, I actually held some tubes on top last night and it would be tall. It just didn't look right. I really dont want to cut the top out, its just 1/8" veneer. If I punched holes or mounted anything to the top the underside would need reinforcing.

I like the guitar amp idea with the pots/jacks on the front... however if the tubes are on top, it might look too high...
Maybe a pre amp, or phono stage, with tubes and tx inside, controls on the front panel and some vent holes in back? Would make a good cover for a sewing machine also!!!
Those are the two ideas I keep coming back to. Use a small low watt guitar amp chassis that would fit and cut the back out enough to get to the tubes. With the controls and jacks on the front. I was also thinking of a passive preamp with an input selector plus a phono preamp. Maybe a remote controlled volume and selector.

I would recess a nice tube preamp into the top, (think marantz, HK or a nice custom job) then mount it on some legs and put it right next to my listening chair. That way I could have an attractive vintage control center which allows me to adjust the system from my listening position without my ears changing position. There would be a good sized snake out the back feeding my power amps and delivering source material. The extra space inside could house a tiny solid state radio receiver, and a Bluetooth module too, if you wanted to go the route of modern source and vintage gear.

Back
Top Bottom