Ideas for this bench vise??

50/50 mix acetone and ATF fluid can work wonders.

This was the only thing that worked on a stuck aluminum distributor in an iron block. We used Marvel/Acetone. It only took an hour of soak time where light heat, stump wrestling muscle, numerous rust fluids, etc. didn't do a thing.
I've not had a need to test it on rust to rust yet. It could be worth a shot.

I have to say I’ve constantly heard about acetone and atf fluid in the bike building community too.

For the amount you’d need it would be a cheap experiment.

Like I said earlier, 50/50 mix of acetone/ATF works good for spraying outta a squirt bottle or such.
But if it sits long enough the two fluids will seperate so it's not necessarily the best for long term soaking.
In the squirt bottle you can keep shaking it so it stays mixed,hence why it works ok that way.

If you wanna soak something for a good while,a 50/50 mix of ATF & diesel -or- ATF & brake fluid works better.
They tend to stay mixed much better than acetone & ATF.

And yeah as was mentioned earlier (reverse) electrolysis is the ultimate way to tackle this should the penetrating lubes fail.
If that wont get it apart it's likely nothing will.

BTDT but of course as usual YMMV...

Bret P.

I really hope this has a happy ending. I feel enormously emotionally invested at this point.

Well, I think I'm going to be able to produce that happy ending, neevo!!!

I GOT THE JAWS APART!!!!!!!

I had been frustratingly trying to find a way to get those damned jaws to move, even just a little. Then I remembered someone here recommending a steel wedge.

I was in my shop, with the "hot wrench" on the jaws, again soaking in Kroil, and I look up to see my old 8 lb. maul head that I've yet to mount on a handle.

"what the f#%k" I thought. I SHOULD have shimmed the edges of the jaws with a little wood, but didn't, so they got a tiny bit blunted.

It moved just a fraction, which tickled me greatly. I took an old strip of oak I'd been keeping for years, which was JUST THIN enough to provide a nice lever against the lower part of the jaws. As it moved, I kept adding slats, eventually getting to just chopped firewood (which actually worked great).

20190121_141547[1].jpg

From there, it was just tedium, getting it to move fractions at a time.

20190121_141611[1].jpg

And here is another, to get an idea

20190121_143052[1].jpg

Pics are out of order, haha. I'm high on Kroil fumes.

And finally, in 2 distinct pieces. Despite all the vinegar, STILL rusty.

20190121_151323[1].jpg

So, order of business for tomorrow is to build my electrolysis bath (perhaps a local welding shop will have that carbon graphite rod I need) and then paint, grease, and reassemble.

Also, while the droop in the screw handle has been straightened, I'm going to try and find my father's old anvil (cannot imagine anyone stealing THAT heavy ass thing) and then heat it again, and pound it completely straight.

You all have really helped with your encouragement and suggestions. Hope to have this finished in the next week or so.

Thanks to everyone taking this ride with me.

Some thoughts.....

There's significant (but hardly fatal) pitting where the two surfaces were so intimate for so long.

I have a pic of the main screw shaft receiver, and the level of corrosion is astounding. Cannot wait to give it the reverse electrolysis bath.

I'm hoping I can obtain some new jaw surfaces, but if not, I'm sure someone can make these for me. Seems simple enough. Haven't even tried removing the old ones, as I literally just got in the house.

Do I even need this thing?? Well, sure, but only for light duty. Mostly, it just reminds me of the man I knew as Dad. He was something, and I still miss him terribly, nearly 4 years later.

Last edited:
Woo hoo!!!!!! Well done and you must be very satisfied with your efforts.

Is the electrolysis required or could you clean it up with a brass wire wheel?

What colour are you going to paint it too?

Nice work,Tim! I've been following this thread because it's always something to behold when the AK community comes together to help solve a problem.

-Dave

Woo hoo!!!!!! Well done and you must be very satisfied with your efforts.

Is the electrolysis required or could you clean it up with a brass wire wheel?

What colour are you going to paint it too?

Neevo, I could easily clean up most of it with a wire wheel, but it'd be damn tough getting in the hollow where the screw mounts, and there is considerable rust there.

Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly, also, I just kinda want to try this.

Color?? I have a scalding hot red I really like that I used on a hopeless axe head. Ignore the hammer, that was for the Father in Law for Christmas. One of the kids dug up his old farm hammer, and I restored it. It was pitted and one of the teeth was busted. His hammerin' days are over, but I think he really appreciated it. We also put "Britt Farms" on the handle, burned it with a burnishing tool.

20181218_201747[1].jpg

However, I'm really leaning towards that hammerite green. Having a very hard time sourcing it, but I think originally, this was a greenish shade.

Nice work,Tim! I've been following this thread because it's always something to behold when the AK community comes together to help solve a problem.

-Dave
You said it, Dave!! You all are my brothers (and the occasional sister) from other mothers, lol.

Given sand blasting any thoughts?

Yes, I have. I'd LOVE to have one of those in my shop, as watching a guy sandblast the same main screw as mine revealed to me just how effective the method is.

Don't know if I can pony up the cash just now. Literally priced one yesterday at Harbor Freight. Left my job of 2 years Friday, and don't start new one until Feb 4th. Taking a little break, as they say.

Well I knew if I kept reading this thread man would again overcome. Thanks for sharing. One thought came to mind in the first post. You mentioned it had survived a house fire which could have changed the original heat treat, what ever it is supposed to be. So look into it's desired hardness and insure it is there. Not too soft. Not too brittle. i watch too much Forged in Fire.... i am sure it is critical.

Congrats on your separation...

Did you go check out the Garage Journal Forum? That vise thread is filled full of painting tips and brands of paint the use in restorations.

Did you go check out the Garage Journal Forum? That vise thread is filled full of painting tips and brands of paint the use in restorations.

That I have, Hobie1dog!! That epic thread with Cutter is what inspired me.

I don't know that any color scheme is wrong, mostly any color will look nicer than the dull look it has now.

Leaning towards this, but suggestions are certainly welcome.

2609560319_91c68f9225.jpg

If you have (or have access to) a press, the handle can be straightened easily. No heating required. The handle of my Reed (the one I posted) was literally bent in five places/directions. I had it 'straight' in less than a half hour. Is it perfect? No. Is it sufficiently straight for a working vise? Absolutely.

Congrats on getting the hard part accomplished. Excited to see further progress.

First off congratulations on getting that darn thing apart. Isn't it great just when you think it's never going to happen you triumph! :D

I think the green would be beautiful if you can source it. Hammer on!

I was given a vise that had been outside for 30-40 years. I put it in a parts washer overnight, then used a hammer drill on hammer only. SDS max by Hilti, with a ground-rod driver. It beat the $h!t out of it. Use it today. Good luck.

I knew the Kroil would do it.

Where I work, the equation is: "Kroil + Time + Persuasion" to get things moving.

You might want to try going with some soft jaws, like these:
zapygyda.jpg

Some thoughts.....
I literally just got in the house.
Do I even need this thing?? Well, sure, but only for light duty. Mostly, it just reminds me of the man I knew as Dad. He was something, and I still miss him terribly, nearly 4 years later.
I'm so happy to read of the success. Well done, and I'm thinking of your Dad now, too.

That I have, Hobie1dog!! That epic thread with Cutter is what inspired me.

I don't know that any color scheme is wrong, mostly any color will look nicer than the dull look it has now.

Leaning towards this, but suggestions are certainly welcome.

2609560319_91c68f9225.jpg

That green would be spot on I reckon. Industrial, classic and not overly pretty as to make you not want to use it.

I use one of these for sandblasting. Works incredibly well but very messy. Do it outside and wear protection.

https://m.harborfreight.com/21-oz-hopper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

Specifically this one:

upload_2019-1-22_10-29-32.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom