Ideas for this bench vise??

@faber12, THAT IS EXACTLY what I'll be using!! Good call!

I will add that everyone here should have a can of KROIL. I sprayed some on this single bolt that had stripped out, holding the on/off switch on the aforementioned Delta Bench Grinder. Well, that dude walked right out, easy-peasy only 10 minutes later.

Great stuff.

@BigElCat having ground down axes, old saws, etc, and knocking rust off of this thing, I noticed that while in my little shed, I must be inhaling some of this crap, and it makes my taste buds and mucous membranes get all irritated. Food doesn't taste right, and it feels like I'm having an allergic reaction when I try eating. Went away last week, and now that I'm back at it, it has come back.

So, I have forgone the grinding in favor of reverse electrolysis, which I have just got underway.

Using a carbon/graphite rod, some sodium carbonate (Arm & Hammer washing powder) and 2 amps from my charger.

I drilled a hole the same size as the rod (3/4'') in a plank, and then cut a small section of garden hose to fatten it up, then clamped with the plastic adaptor used to repair said garden hose. Hey, don't laugh, it was laying around, didn't cost a thing.

Some have asked why not use a piece of rebar?? Well, the way it was explained to me, that instigates rust again, and this lightly coats everything in carbon, which doesn't.

Here's a pic or two. Water started bubbling pretty soon, and darkened soon thereafter. Also, this creates HYDROGEN. Don't smoke around it!!!!!

View attachment 1396048 View attachment 1396050
Show us a pic of the water when you're done.

Your positive lead is on the carbon rod. Is the negative attached to the vise parts ?

Show us a pic of the water when you're done.

Your positive lead is on the carbon rod. Is the negative attached to the vise parts ?

Yes, this is correct, BigElCat. I think some of the advocates for this method use the 10 amp setting, but me, I'm puttering along with 2. Just checked the water, it is FILTHY.

20190124_074014[1].jpg

Wow... gross! Must be doing something. How long till a brand new shiny vice comes out ;)

This afternoon, I read up on recommended amps (2 vs 10) and apparently, it matters how much surface area your anode has. With me having a thin cylinder, I'm not really getting all of the 2 amps to the large chunk of metal that is the vise. So, I cranked it to 10, and phew, NOW the water is a dark brown, absolutely thick and nasty.

I removed all pieces and looked at them, we are nearly there. What is cool with the carbon graphite rods, they are non toxic, and leave this wonderful coating of carbon on all surfaces, which does NOT promote more rust.

The only fear I have is that the paint won't stick as well. When the two pieces come out of the bath tomorrow morning, I'm going to scrub them with warm, soapy (dawn) water, and then rinse with IPA (91%, highest I can get) and maybe rough up the surfaces, but otherwise primer over that.

Have to get my hammerite paint ordered. Also, I spent the day polishing the main screw, which I think I'm going to leave bare (and liberally coat with a fine layer of gun oil or something else) because it is polishing up really REALLY shiny. Good metal went into these monsters.

Also banged straight the screw handle. It isn't perfect, but you wouldn't notice at a glance.

Best thing about today, they're building a "Casey's" down the road. It's a convenience mart chain, rather nice in fact. I saw this huge wooden thing they had built, and were in the process of using a Bobcat to drop in the dump. Well hell, I'll take that wood! Dude said I could have it all.

Truck is swelled with amazing quality 2x4's and plywood. I plan on making 2 more tables for my workshop.

FUN FUN FUN!! Did I even tell ya'll I quit my job last Friday, and don't go back to work until Feb 4th??

I needed a reprieve. Sales is a bitch.

This afternoon, I read up on recommended amps (2 vs 10) and apparently, it matters how much surface area your anode has. With me having a thin cylinder, I'm not really getting all of the 2 amps to the large chunk of metal that is the vise. So, I cranked it to 10, and phew, NOW the water is a dark brown, absolutely thick and nasty.

I removed all pieces and looked at them, we are nearly there. What is cool with the carbon graphite rods, they are non toxic, and leave this wonderful coating of carbon on all surfaces, which does NOT promote more rust.

The only fear I have is that the paint won't stick as well. When the two pieces come out of the bath tomorrow morning, I'm going to scrub them with warm, soapy (dawn) water, and then rinse with IPA (91%, highest I can get) and maybe rough up the surfaces, but otherwise primer over that.

Have to get my hammerite paint ordered. Also, I spent the day polishing the main screw, which I think I'm going to leave bare (and liberally coat with a fine layer of gun oil or something else) because it is polishing up really REALLY shiny. Good metal went into these monsters.

Also banged straight the screw handle. It isn't perfect, but you wouldn't notice at a glance.

Best thing about today, they're building a "Casey's" down the road. It's a convenience mart chain, rather nice in fact. I saw this huge wooden thing they had built, and were in the process of using a Bobcat to drop in the dump. Well hell, I'll take that wood! Dude said I could have it all.

Truck is swelled with amazing quality 2x4's and plywood. I plan on making 2 more tables for my workshop.

FUN FUN FUN!! Did I even tell ya'll I quit my job last Friday, and don't go back to work until Feb 4th??

I needed a reprieve. Sales is a bitch.
My last sales job, my region was $18M ... You're only as good as last month ... ****abunchadatshit - that'll make you old in a hurry.

My last sales job, my region was $18M ... You're only as good as last month ... ****abunchadatshit - that'll make you old in a hurry.

You get it, sir. But, we do what we must.

I got the pieces out, all rust is gone, or easily displaced by a wipe with a rag. Wish I had ordered that hammerite paint already, lol, but far too cold to paint today anyway.

@neevo I've snapped a couple pics. The first one shows the pieces dry and very gently wire wheeled for about 20 seconds. Immaculately clean, ready for paint.

Second pic shows what they look like without the very light wire wheel. Rust indeed never sleeps.

Also, I feel better about the carbon that has coated all the small pitting that occurred on the main shaft. I don't think I'll get fastidious about grinding that perfectly smooth, as the tight tolerances would likely be affected. I like how snug it is.

Have considered copper plating...but only for a short while. Looks like it's pretty easy to do.

20190126_090445[1].jpg 20190126_090609[1].jpg

Hot wench jaws?

Having had these in an electrolysis bath (which tends to loosen things) as well as positively soaked in KROIL, I don't expect a problem. Plus, I have a gently used 3/4 hammer drill that should walk these right out.

If all else fails, yeah, the hot wrench, lol.

EDIT - Just ordered the Hammerite Deep Green paint, and should be here Monday. I swear, it is like Amazon has someone hiding in the bushes waiting to drop your item off. While I rail against "progress" gotta love Amazon.

Today's work will be to try and remove the jaw surfaces. We'll see if those screws will budge.

Not that I want to spend more of your money. But if you don’t have one of these, they’re ideal for this work:

https://m.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

I have Dewalt impact drivers and air rattle guns but they can round out the screws. This tool you hit with a hammer and it shocks the bolt as well as turning it at the same time.

Are you going to do the white lettering? It’s very pretty, maybe too much so. But it really seems to finish them off beautifully.

Thats just awesome - You cleaned it WELL!
Thats a heck of a hunk of iron - the good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom