Identifying Your Advent Loudspeakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for setting this up Guys.

If the scans could be in JPEG, I can simply host them on photobucket or something, allowing for a large, readable high resolution image, rather than the limitations set by the BB software. THey would be thumb-nailed and integrated within the thread.

Advent 3002 pics

Advent 3002 - pics

I'll update these if / when I swap the original 8" woofers back in. (Those are Emenance 8 Ohms in there for a test...)

The original square magnet ones are next to the Gefcos from my DQ-12's.

Attachments

• Advent3002.jpg
    Advent3002.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 289
  • Advent3002backterminal.jpg
    Advent3002backterminal.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 279
  • Advent3002back.jpg
    Advent3002back.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 227
  • Advent3002unmasked.jpg
    Advent3002unmasked.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 393
  • Advent8Gefco8.jpg
    Advent8Gefco8.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 347
@ susurus and other, Here my pic of smaller advent 4 ohm.

Let see the dust cap. I dont know the material of it. The air can go through.

Anyone can let me know, is it the original material or not?

Thanks and best wishes!

Attachments

• LFE Driver Smaller Advent.jpg
    LFE Driver Smaller Advent.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 248
the "spitball" dust caps are original and should not be changed. If you do it will GREATLY affect the resonant frequency of the woofer, and pretty much ruin the bass response.

Susurus: Please email me the updated pictures so I can integrate them into the sticky. :yes:

Ok. I will not do anything.

I heard, if you see the color of cone in brown (not black, see my pic). It means that cone were made by feather. So the quality of soud is always good.

Attachments

• color.jpg
    color.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 230
nah, they were just that color. THe cones were made from a paper-mache mix but I have no clue if that actualy has to do with the color. Just about every large and smaller advent woofer has that color.

nah, they were just that color. THe cones were made from a paper-mache mix but I have no clue if that actualy has to do with the color. Just about every large and smaller advent woofer has that color.
Funny mine don't look brown, at all. Mine look 'navy blue' on each pair I have. One pair of the original masonite Advents. And 2 pairs of of New Advents. All woofer cones are a deep navy blue color.

Somebody on Audio Asylum asked if my New Advents may be later reissue in 90's. Here's a picture. I can't finad any dated material. The Serial Numbers are A3 76699 and A3 76702. The Brochure in the box has serial number 85-955-071. Not sure if 85 would mean 1985.

Advent1.jpg

IMGP0338.jpg

Somebody on Audio Asylum asked if my New Advents may be later reissue in 90's.

In the introductory posts to this thread, Jpdylon says about the 25th Anniv. Ed:
The later 25th anniversary edition also used this style, and was essentially a 5012w with a different badge and back panel.
The badges on the original 5012w and yours look very similar. We don't have a rear panel photo it in this thread, but you can inspect a photo of the rear of my 5002 (essentially a vinyl 5012) here - perhaps you can figure out if yours are identical or not in this respect.

Shackys pair do look exactly like my pair of NLA, in every detail. Though mine are missing the serial number stickers. I've had mine open and one tweeter had a date stamp of 1982, IIRC. So my best guess is shacky's are the the original series of NLA's, as well, not the reissue.

3002 details

Under the woofer it says "Advent Corp - Cambridge Mass

Grills easily snap on with the plastic pressure plug thingys. The grill is retro colored and framed with plastic.

Better than my AR4ax, which has a broken grill frame that was stapled and quite hard to remove. But a velcro mod should fix that. :yes:

One poster said the tweeters overwhelm the woofers. I did not experience this. :no:

A clean amp, placement in a sensible location (not as picky as Maggies! lol) and the bass sounds great; musical, tight, fast, not boomy or muddy.

When you chose Acoustic suspension over ported designs it takes more care to set it up. Worth it IMHO...

Guys, please keep my advent reference clean of unrelated material. If you require to talk about amps and receivers, please do so outside this thread.

Thank you.

Guys, please keep my advent reference clean of unrelated material. If you require to talk about amps and receivers, please do so outside this thread.
Seconded.

Take the Concept 16.5 (and any other non-Advent) discussion to Vintage Solid State (or wherever else your discussion may fit) and the AK membership will no doubt provide information, opinions and advice.

Great service to us Advent owners.

I notice some Advents have model numbers. Mine don't.

I bought them in 1970. From the pictures, they are Utility cabinets.

The only identifying info is "The Advent Loudspeaker" above the connector panel and the serial numbers on the warranty cards (U39064 and U39056).

Also, the pictures show Advent tags on the grill fabric. Mine don't have the tags. I don't remember if they ever did. It's possible they came off in the course of the multitude of apartment moves I made back in those days. I just don't remember them....the tags, I mean...and, yeah, many of the days, too.

regards,

dale

Hello, again.

Does anyone have the specs on the above-mentioned speakers?
(Freq. response, power range, etc.) Thanks, for the info!

Best regards,
Rob

Hi, Rob

My Advent Loudspeaker 'manual' says the following:

Dimensions:
Advent Loudspeaker: 14.25" x 25.625" x 11.5" deep
Smaller Advent Loudspeaker: 11.5" x 20" x 9.25" deep

Recommended Amplifier Power:
Advent Loudspeaker
20 watts rms per channel (8 ohms)
Smaller Advent Loudspeaker
15 watts rms per channel (4 ohms)

Actual power requirements vary for any speaker according to the size of a room and the listening level that is considered satisfying. These recommended powers should be used as a starting point in determining your own specific requirements.
For example, if your room is 1500 cubic feet or less (as most rooms are), then you will not need as much power. On the other hand, if your room is very large and/or you like your music reproduced louder than real life, then you will want more power than we've recommended.
unquote

I went to look for the manual and found two little brown envelopes containing the metal tag logo -- I never put them on the speakers when I bought them back in 1970. There was even a small brown envelope containing felt feet for the speakers. I didn't even remember they were there.

regards,

dale

I'll take a large pair of Advents to go please!

Well it couldn't be helped. I was out doin' a little family Christmas shopping today with son and on the way back home I said I would stop & run really quick inside our local GW.
Son rolled his eyes, frowned and settled in the car seat for a long winters nap.:boring:

Me: I rushed back to the electronics section. Saw nothing worth taking home. But, the GW folks sometimes put large speakers :)banana:) by the furniture. And there they were. A beautiful pair of Advents: Model 5012/W. Never, ever had a pair. Son had to get ready for work, so I paid and made a hasty, but joyful retreat to the car.
Look so nice cleaned and oiled up. Took a quick peek under one grill. Looked new in there. A full audible exam to follow.

And many thanks for this Advent sticky:yes:

Attachments

• DSCN0406.jpg
    DSCN0406.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 562
  • DSCN0413.jpg
    DSCN0413.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 529
  • DSCN0410.jpg
    DSCN0410.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 484
Just want to throw out a huge Thanks! to the organizers of this, and to those who contributed info and pics. I find myself on this thread at least once a week and it's a fantastic resource. Cheers!

Position of Woofer in Original Verses New Advent

Can anyone explain why the woofers in the original large Advents (located near the bottom of the cabinet) were moved up to near the center of the cabinet in the New Advents? Better sound, manufacturing efficiency, etc.?

Advents

Just wanted to add my thoughts. I have reconed many pairs of Smaller and Large Advents. Inverted surounds on the large and conventional on the small. IMHO, I think the Smaller Advent is the best of the lot. It is a Great speaker. I think it is more accurate than the larger version. Used them with GAS, Marantz, and SX-series Pioneer. Smaller Advents with a Pioneer SX-850 will smoke many so called esoteric systems. Dynaco A/25 compair favorably. I changed out the crossover cap. in the Dynaco's and WOW. I have never changed out the caps in Advents. I am down to my last two pair of SA's. Before I get rid of one pair, I plan to change out the crossover cap.

Advent fuses

Njord,

Thanks, for the info!! It's just what I was looking for!! Any idea on where I can get those fuses?? Or, do you have another recommendation?? Thanks, again!!
Best regards,

Rob:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom