Idler tire - Pioneer CT-F650

62vauxhall

Has anyone replaced the rubber idler in a Pioneer CT-F650? If so, what did you use and where did you get it?

A couple of years ago I acquired the deck, had an ID number lathed off the face plate and installed a belt kit from Vintage Electronics. Included was an extremely concise set of installation instructions but no idler - just an acknowledgement they do not provide them and a remark that it too may need replacing.

In my case it did but after removing and measuring the original then spending considerable time searching online, I was unsuccessful in finding a match.

That being the case, I soaked the old one in Rubber Renue and that did the trick for a while. But after time, it reverted to it's non functional state.

I would not mind having some confidence in restoring this deck so would appreciate any and all suggestions on where to obtain a new idler of the correct size.

No, not the pinch roller. What I'm referring to is a round "tire" that fits on a plastic hub and is responsible for FF, REW & Auto Stop - like this:

generic idler tire photo.jpg

I have recorded the dimensions somewhere and was hoping someone would know a supplier of such things with a variety of sizes.

The CTF-650 was my first deck. Man I made a lot of tapes on that machine. I guess EBay might be your best bet for a idler tire. I would say Marrs Communications but you may never get your order. If all else fails use the same size O ring. I have done this to a Tascam deck and it has been working for the last 5 years.

Mcmaster Carr may be a source.

Thanks for the tip. They do list a square profile O ring that's close to the dimensions I measured. The dimension which might be problematic is OD. I found the original to be .75" and the one on the McMaster Carr site is .691" - a difference of .06" or 3/50".

I need to open the deck up again to look at the idler in situ - that size difference might make the McMaster Carr replacement too small.

I used the square profile rings from McMaster in my Pioneer CT-F7272. They worked great. The size difference is probably not a problem but also consider that your originals are metric. McMaster has metric sizes, keep scrolling down the list. If you can't find the exact size try the closest inch size.

I used the square profile rings from McMaster in my Pioneer CT-F7272. They worked great. The size difference is probably not a problem but also consider that your originals are metric. McMaster has metric sizes, keep scrolling down the list. If you can't find the exact size try the closest inch size.

I revisited their website using "metric O ring" as a search term which led me to Square-Profile Oil-Resistant Buna-N O-Rings.

Is this the category in which you found those for the CT-F7272?

Have you guys tried the WJoe Radio website? They offer belt kits that include the capstan tires. They also include printed instructions with diagrams.

They’re at WJoe.com

Back
Top Bottom