Votes: 36 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 43.7%
  • Makes no difference to me

Votes: 22 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read the whole thread you would know that Scott (Army) said he is willing to take over. Greg (Retro Stereo) has also volunteered to help the cause. Grumpy has every right to say no if he wants and I respect that.

Cheers,
Denny
Well, that might be tough from hundreds of miles away. I guess they could do some legwork with vendors and all, but Dave would still have to sort out what they accomplished as now he's getting info second hand. Plus it would be pretty hard for anyone out of town to do anything in town like reviewing sites, auditioning talent for the entertainment and storing supplies/prizes, etc. Consider this year when Dave found out about the conflict at the old locale and had to jump through hoops to find an alternate? That would have been a world class mess if the guiding hand was out of town.
If someone wants to do some legwork and help Dave out, they may need to be closer than several states away to appreciably lighten his load.

Well, that might be tough from hundreds of miles away. I guess they could do some legwork with vendors and all, but Dave would still have to sort out what they accomplished as now he's getting info second hand. Plus it would be pretty hard for anyone out of town to do anything in town like reviewing sites, auditioning talent for the entertainment and storing supplies/prizes, etc. Consider this year when Dave found out about the conflict at the old locale and had to jump through hoops to find an alternate? That would have been a world class mess if the guiding hand was out of town.
If someone wants to do some legwork and help Dave out, they may need to be closer than several states away to appreciably lighten his load.

Andy,
I think you're confused. Take a look at the thread title. This was a hypothetical question about the 2009 AK Fest actually moving to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Apparently Grumpy and Army discussed this and they were looking for feedback. That was it.

Retro

Well. maybe a little. If either of you guys want to take it over and move the whole kit and kaboodle to Cedar Rapids or Minneapolis, I wish you well. FWIW, I'd see MN with more upside than IA, just because it's a bigger metro area.

It's ironic though that the two guys who are offering to help out are the only two guys with a member room that didn't live within 100 miles of the last Fest. Well, maybe Cosmos too, but he does work in Troy :D Just goes to show what these dudes are made of :thmbsp:

Something like the fest requires signatory agency for AudioKarma. I don't know who else, besides Grumpy, actually has signatory agency, who can put in necessary time and horsepower to pull off something like the fest. Such things are a sticky wicket. None of the provisions of AK, or AK itself, are owed to anyone, period. What needs to be done is for everyone to find contentment with what is, or can be, provided.

Something that goes off as well as this year's fest does not go off easy, not even at the time it is going off. It is understood that folks want to help. No one is challenging anyone's sincerity. However, no-one but Grumpy (and possibly Nancy) has any idea what "all" is entailed by an event like this.

I strongly suggest we simply appreciate what is available, for as long as it is available. If asked to contribute in some way, don't respond positively unless willing to fufill the requested tasks, even to one's own hurt. The slack picked up by delegation of tasks, does not tend to remain slack, but gets immediately consumed by other tasks. If delegated tasks are then not fulfilled, they mut be re-absorbed by the delegator, in addition to the new tasks taken on. Believe me. I know personally.

Lets let Grumpy, the admins, and mods have some time to rest, recoup, and re-group. We will then see what develops. An event like this almost always results in initial decisions like, "Never again." Sometimes the "never again" sticks, and sometimes recoup time provides the necessary 2nd wind. In any case, this year's fest was spectacular. Thanks to "all" who contributed to its success. If it never happens again, it was definitely good while it lasted. There is nothing to keep folks from putting on local or regional gatherings of AK members. Such gatherings may not be able to bear the legal "AudioKarma" name, or sanction, without involving various kinds of liability for AK, but such gatherings can be, and have been, a whole lot of fun.

Just my 2-cents.

Thanks folks,
Rich P

Why mess with a good thing? Leave it where it is... besides, Detroit needs the business more than anywhere else. :yes:

Ain't no party like a Detroit party! :music: :banana: :beer: :rockon: :guitar: :beerchug: :drunk:

If I can add my 2 cents. I talked to Grumpy a bit at the show about the show itself. IMO, the biggest thing has to be the fact that the hotels won't let you do an 'up to X number of rooms' thing. They want a number - no more, no less. That not only puts a financial and stress issue on those running the show, but in all honesty, it stifles the growth potential of the show.

The only issue I see with moving the show to a different place every year is that you don't have a chance to establish a relationship with a hotel so both sides know what to expect and things can be better and easier negotiated over time.

If the show needs to go somewhere else to survive and there are others willing to take on the responsibilities, so be it. I know Glenn and I have talked and GIK will be there again next year. We'll likely have our own room with my electronics and ACI speakers (who we show with at other shows) as well as being in the David Michael Audio room. We see a lot of potential in this show. A few years ago, RMAF was about the same size and now it's probably the 2nd biggest serious high end show in the country every year.

My 2 cents

Bryan

hmmmmm... so no chance of it coming to Australia? I have a bit of room in the back yard and plenty of extension cables..... heh

Wait a minute!!! I'm thinking of attending and now you want to move it?!! SHEESH!!! Was it something I said? Was it my breath?!! :D

The 09 fest is not moving. Its in the same location as 2008

I think it's great right where it is! The only thing I can think of that is worthwhile abut Cedar Rapids is a place that sells cinnamon rolls that are the size of your head...on second thought:scratch2:

When I come to the Fest, I'll be driving with gear.

Boston to Detroit: 716 miles
Boston to Cedar Rapids: 1,213 miles

How do you think I voted?

Yes, I would be more likely to attend if it was in Cedar Rapids.

However, the lack of a major airport my scare off others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom