If you have a Sony DVP-9000ES DVD/SACD, I have a question...

Proconsul

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I picked up a nice DVP-9000ES at an estate sale recently, but unfortunately it didn't come with its remote (RMT-D122A). I bought a Sony remote for a Sony DVD/SACD of lesser stature, and it works fine turning the 9000ES on and off, starting play, moving to tracks, opening and closing the drawer -- but it's SACD/CD button doesn't work. Well, it sort of works: with the drawer open, when I push the SACD/CD button the display will read "CD" or "SACD", but if I leave it on "SACD" and push play, it reverts to playing the CD layer. If I do what the manual instructs (!) -- insert disc and close drawer, then use the button to choose the layer -- I get three beeps from the unit (three beeps means an incorrect command). I can't get the machine to stick in the SACD mode.

This has happened playing a couple of RCA classical hybrid SACDs, and a Rolling Stones hybrid SACD. I've ordered a single layer SACD to see what the machine does when there is no CD layer to play.

Here's the question: how are you getting your 9000ES to play SACDs? Any guidance welcome. Thanks.

This model has a tendency to stop reading the SACD layer of hybrid discs. Single layer SACDs often continue to work though.

This model has a tendency to stop reading the SACD layer of hybrid discs. Single layer SACDs often continue to work though.

I owned one of these players in the past and had this exact experience. It was a wonderful CD player, but refused to recognize SACD disks. I eventually moved on to an OPPO player and more recently a CAMBRIDGE AZUR Blu-Ray.

Captouch is correct. I had one and it did the same thing. It was frustrating to diagnose because it played my single layer SACDs fine but not The Rolling Stones hybrid discs.

Well, that appears to be about where I am -- the single layer SACD arrived and it is playing just fine. The machine correctly identifies it as an SACD and spins it right up. At this point, it's only when I get my hands on a RMT-D122A original remote control, with the "SACD/CD" button, that I'll really know whether my player can play hybrid discs.

If anyone actually has an RMT-D122A, I'd be willing to buy a programmable remote and mail it to you, so you could clone the SACD/CD and FL Off buttons onto the replacement remote, and then send it back to me at my expense. Any takers?

I have one of these players, bought new, with original remote. I will see what experience I get when I get home tomorrow. I don't think I have many hybrid discs to check though. Where are you located? I'd be willing to help.

There's a calibration procedure that some have tried that may help. I don't have a good connection to search for it, but it shouldn't be too hard to find and I believe it's referenced here on AK.

I tried it and it didn't help me, but it's worth a try.

I've read you can also try to replace the laser assembly to play hybrids, but the replacements are all cheap aftermarket ones and the fix doesn't last too long before hybrids start having problems again. It sure how easy/hard it is to replace it either.

Jbailey930m -- I'm located in Fairfax, Virginia. Where are you? You can move to a PM if you wish.

Captouch -- thanks for the tip. I'm aware that there's an entire menu on the machine for the DVD, and perhaps the SACD, functions. I'll dig further in AK for further information. Given that the machine works fine in all other respects, including playing single-layer SACDs, I'm hopeful it's simply a matter of having the correct remote to switch layers. But definitely I'll pursue this other track, too, just in case...

Jbailey930m -- I'm located in Fairfax, Virginia. Where are you? You can move to a PM if you wish.

Captouch -- thanks for the tip. I'm aware that there's an entire menu on the machine for the DVD, and perhaps the SACD, functions. I'll dig further in AK for further information. Given that the machine works fine in all other respects, including playing single-layer SACDs, I'm hopeful it's simply a matter of having the correct remote to switch layers. But definitely I'll pursue this other track, too, just in case...
Small world. I live near Sterling. Will PM too

Problem solved. I borrowed jbailey930's remote, and was able to establish that his correct remote and my Sony replacement remote both failed to switch from CD to SACD using the "SACD/CD" button on each. Both remotes got the three-beep error message when attempting to do so. That told me that the problem was not that my remote couldn't operate the switch-over, but that the machine itself did not recognize a hybrid SACD as being an SACD -- it thought it was purely a CD.

So I downloaded the service manual, hooked up the player to a TV, entered the diagnostic mode, and used the drive adjustment function to re-set the drive's parameter's. I first used option 2 to reset the drive for a CD, then used option 4 to reset for SACD. To do the latter, I used a single layer SACD, but oddly enough the diagnostic stopped mid-way and told me that there was a problem with the disc (which it played fine as an SACD previously). So out with the single-layer and in with a hybrid SACD, and restart the program. Once completed after 10-15 seconds, the player would play CDs, hybrid SACDs, and single-layer SACDs. The player can now recognize a hybrid SACD as being both CD and SACD, and the "SACD/CD" buttons on both the borrowed remote and my replacement remote work fine. The only function I'm really losing by not having an RMT-D122A remote is the ability to turn the flourescent display on and off. I couldn't hear any difference either way, so not a problem for me.

A big word of thanks to jbailey930 for lending me his remote -- it was very kind of him to give me a hand. I hope this thread helps someone else who may face this problem in the future.

Great, sounds like it's work going through the diagnostics. I may try that myself. Thanks for the update.

One last note: as I could not find a Sony RMT-D122A remote, I got an RMT-D133A instead. It has the all-important "SACD/CD" button to switch between the CD layer and SACD layer on hybrid discs. As I write this there are five available on eBay, for example, so it appears these are much more available than the D122A.

Dear all,

I am resurrecting this thread because I have a similar problem. I have a used Sony DVP S9000ES that I use as a cd transport but that I also want to use to play hybrid SACDs that I have a couple dozen of. Can anyone help me locate an original remote or at least allow me to borrow one so I can buy a new universal remote and program it appropriately?

Also can someone point me to the service manual to see if I can set it to play Hybrids as SACD automatically? Or is that not possible?

Thanks.

One way to do this is to first get into the Harmony family by hook or by crook. Once you're set up to access their vast remote command library, it's a simple matter (and WAY cheaper than original remotes!) to find the correct command(s), download it(them) into the Harmony, and thence transfer to a dedicated Sony remote (for ease of use of other functions). Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom