If you have these batteries in your remotes, you'd better check.....

Found three sets of leakers yesterday while digging through remotes. I think I ended up at 20-25 battery operated devices...mostly remotes. The Energizers with the 2015 expiration date were in really bad shape...pulled similar vintage batteries from a couple of devices. Ordered up a bunch of Lithium batteries since many of these devices see very little use. I also ordered a smart charger for the pile of NiMH batteries that I already have. I had mostly given up on them due very short lifespan in most applications. I was shocked to find a pair of Maxell NiMH batteries in a working TV remote...they have been in there so long I forgot they existed.

I'll be gifting a bunch of new (and slightly used) alkalines to a family friend that can use them.

OK, OK, I can take the hint.

I just checked all 16 (SIXTEEN!!!) remotes in the house. The ones that use AA coppertops have dates on them of 2024 and 2027 so I left them. The ones that used AAA batteries, some coppertops and others with "noname" batteries that came as original equipment (there are no dates on any of these) were swapped out and replaced with Energizer Lithiums that are CLAIMED to last for 20 years. If that's true, I probably won't ever have to change them again.

OCD? me? Nah, not at all.

This is why I use LSD NiMHs in everything now.

Duracell Ion Cores at the right grocery store (I can't remember if it's Safeway or Giant) are $11ish a 4-pack. Rumor has it they are relabels of Sanyo now Panasonic Eneloop XX which have traditionally been great cells. Get yourself a good smart charger like a Maha C9000 and never look back. Enjoy a life free of distilled water, rice, and Deoxit.

Ikea LADDA batteries. The AA are rebranded Eneloop Pros. The AAA are rebranded Eneloop. They are awesome. 10 bucks a 4 pack in Canada (were $7 when I bought them a few months ago) and something like 7 bucks a pack in the US. This deal cannot be beaten and the batteries are amazing.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70303876/

https://www.slrlounge.com/panasonic-eneloop-vs-ikea-ladda-are-they-the-same/

I also ordered a smart charger for the pile of NiMH batteries that I already have. I had mostly given up on them due very short lifespan in most applications.

Eneloops will hold a charge for years. They are the bee's knees; far less annoying than traditional NiCD and NiMH.

LSD = low self discharge

Eneloops will hold a charge for years. They are the bee's knees; far less annoying than traditional NiCD and NiMH.

LSD = low self discharge

rumor has it that the Duracell Ion Cores are rebranded Eneloop XX cells. In any case they work well.

Also, I have a Fenix TK41 that was living in the back of my Jeep. It apparently turned itself on and drained the cells. My Maha C9000 charger revived them after a "jump start" (they were so dead that the charger did not recognize them as cells.) on a "break in" cycle. So the other part of the equation is having a good charger. There were eight Maha Imedions in there (bought back before you could buy LSD NiMH in stores) so the charger saved me about $24 in new cells by giving the old ones new life.

Ikea LADDA batteries. The AA are rebranded Eneloop Pros. The AAA are rebranded Eneloop. They are awesome. 10 bucks a 4 pack in Canada (were $7 when I bought them a few months ago) and something like 7 bucks a pack in the US. This deal cannot be beaten and the batteries are amazing.

https://www.slrlounge.com/panasonic-eneloop-vs-ikea-ladda-are-they-the-same/

As per your piece from the camera guy, Fujitsu operates the Japanese plant making the batteries. Newegg often runs specials on the Fujitsu branded batteries, and their discounted free-shipping specials truly cannot be beat. $22 for 8 of the AA and 12 of the AAA last time I ordered a few months back.

Last edited:
If IKEA was from an English speaking country, the batteries would be named IKEA CHARGE, since "ladda" just means charge, as in charge the batteries. Someone worked very hard to come up with that name! :rflmao:

Yes. I think that's pretty much what I said, no? :dunno:

I took it as discussion about cost was somehow inappropriate unless concern over leakage was explicitly acknowledged and stated. I see no good reason such an awkward disclaimer need be added to any and all discussions on battery cost. The primacy of leakage over cost considerations is tacitly understood by all.

If IKEA was from an English speaking country, the batteries would be named IKEA CHARGE, since "ladda" just means charge, as in charge the batteries. Someone worked very hard to come up with that name! :rflmao:

In Ikea's defense, the house brand product department is probably experiencing a brain fog as a byproduct of eating too much horse meat.

@Pio1980 is correct - use vinegar and qtips to clean the corrosion you find, keep reapplying
til there's no fizz (reaction between alkaline mess and vinegar's acid - WEAR GLASSES)

then if new batteries don't work, use emery/sand paper to clean off the hard stuff and try again.

third way is to aim your remote control at your digital camera (must be on) and you will see
purple flashes if the remote is now working again.

and for those controls that are valuable, not used/checked often, go with rechargeables
or lithium.

I replace batteries in my meece (two or more mice used outside track pads)

I went for years without having any problems with batteries leaking, but I've had Duracells leak in several devices in the past 6 months or so. I've had no such problem with Energizers.

I noticed a pair of Duracells had leaked in one of my radios a month or so ago. When I saw this thread, I didn't think much about it, and there weren't many posts.

Then, about an hour-and-a-half ago I decided to listen to classical FM, rather than the files I'd been playing. The little Sony XDR-F1HD wouldn't turn on. Opened the remote's battery compartment to replace the dead batteries, which are Duracell, and found the caustic white crud. After I inserted new Duracells - it's what I have - I began to check others and found another leaky set. I stil have other remotes and radios to check, because a weird bleeding incident interrupted my hunt.

I'm about to order some Eveready, and rid the house of Duracell, which I'll never buy again. I used most of what I had, and the rest can go to the recycle bin. Cheaper than replacing remotes and radios. Thanks for the alert. It's a shame, Duracell used to be a good brand. Now they can KMA. Fool me once... and etc.

I see USA on those Duracells. Must have been around a while, but even so leakage should not be happening in batteries holding charge. Something screwy going on in the material selection I suspect.

Duracell beat out EverReady a long time ago and those were some good batteries. Lately every Duracell I use (or almost all) eventually leak. This is in the past 5 or so years. I've started filing up all my remotes with Amazon Basics AA and AAA and no leaks yet.

Back
Top Bottom