ignorant capacitor question: VDC vs WVDC?

imdocjas

knowing just enough to be dangerous, i attempt (and sometimes succeed) with parts upgrades and basic mods after doing my homework.

i just re-capped an amplifier for an old Velodyne ULD-10, and now it works but the output is MUCH less than previous. it was making a random "popping" noise, and doing a weird driver pumping thing when i got it off CL, so that's what prompted me to plow forward with the re-cap, hoping that was the issue

it works now without any factory smoke or fire, which is in and of itself success in my book

the original two biggest power supply cans are labeled 4700 uF 50 WVDC

not paying close attention to the "W," i replaced them with Nichicon 4700uF 63V (KW series)

was that an appropriate substitution? of course polarity was observed for all replacements

thanks in advance

greetings; what unit ? should be no issue but if volume is down a tad? what on the dial say 10:00 am? is the volume modest but present?

I ask the Q for model is maybe a tad adjustment on the bias if needed. NEEDED.. Just saying if a tad more on the volume knob and your hearing is still good... lol.. Just leave it and turn it up.
Another point maybe db of speakers. i.e. studio's are commonly about 75 watts @ 90, 92 db or better per rated amp to speaker 'load'. = load impedance. wattage is additive and perhaps amp is not powering speakers at rated or amp is capable of greater than 88db and other specs.

Last edited:
You should be fine. The W is "working", which would be the max steady voltage it wants to see. Sometimes you'd have a working and a surge voltage rating. If there is a significant turn-on voltage spike, you'd want to make sure your replacement has a voltage rating that can deal with that.

Sometimes those original ratings were very marginal. I recently replaced the main filter caps in my Phase Linear. They were rated to 100wvdc, 125 surge. It ran steady-state at 104 volts. I don't know what it may have spiked at, but the new ones are rated for 160v.

You should be OK. Since the 63V did not specify working or surge, one can assume the cap is capable of withstanding 63V constantly - i.e. a working voltage.

To make matters even more complicated, there are AC and DC voltage ratings for some caps...

thanks for all replies. volume is down significantly, but for a different reason i suppose. it takes max volume on the sub controller to get acceptable output in my main system

Back
Top Bottom