Ikea Expedit for record storage - show yours!

Jazz is stored here:

(1) 4x4
(1) 2x4
(1) 1x5

IMG_4392_zpsb28cf4b8.jpg

Rock is stored here:

(1) 4x4

IMG_4398_zps3926abb0.jpg

And I'm running out of space.

These units are great.

:thmbsp:

Which, it needs to be said, really probably almost certainly will happen, someday.

LOL!

1x1
1x5
2x2
2x4

These units can be oriented any way you want per Ikea. If you orient the 1x5 or 2x4 so that they're tall they need to be anchored to the wall to prevent them from tipping forward, away from the wall.

4x4
5x5

These units mus be oriented in the correct way as stated and clearly illustrated in the manual. ALL pictures of those that have collapsed have been either A) assembled/oriented incorrectly or B) weakened by trying to move them while loaded.

It's just common sense people.

Bill

My record collection and gear is packed.I'm Florida bound this weekend.

As soon as I get unpacked , I'm heading to Ikea.

I've never counted my records,but, I filled 5 - 30 gallon rubbermade boxes and I still have a few milk crates.

I'm guessing that = 700-800 or so?

I'm looking forward to getting some new shelving and setting everything up.

great thread.

Something from the #vinyloftheday Facebook page. The left panel appears to be designed as the unit's base. It did not work well as a side panel.

575669_220546864772370_455965758_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/thevinylday

The whole unit is oriented wrong. The long shelves are supposed to be horizontal. This example has them vertical, and does not appear to be anchored to the wall. The larger units MUST be anchored or reinforced in some manner.

Something from the #vinyloftheday Facebook page. The left panel appears to be designed as the unit's base. It did not work well as a side panel.

575669_220546864772370_455965758_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/thevinylday

Ugh, pictures like this are so frustrating to see. I feel bad for the collector, but we all need to take simple steps to protect our passion/investment. Follow directions: Long shelves go horizontally, anchor to wall. It's very simple.

The whole unit is oriented wrong. The long shelves are supposed to be horizontal. This example has them vertical, and does not appear to be anchored to the wall. The larger units MUST be anchored or reinforced in some manner.

I think someone took their eye off the ball while assembling this one, because the outer frame is oriented correctly, but the intermediate shelves are not.

Many people have had these units loaded up with LPs for years without any issues. They are nice shelves for the money and seem almost purpose-built for records.

Last edited:
...For my audio/video equipment, I use Ikea's Besta line of storage units.

BasementIkea003_zpse3c494d8.jpg

Ir may be difficult to see from the photo, but I have a 1/4 inch sheet of plywood, painted black, under the turntable. This allows the turntable to be proud of the front face of the cabinet. I did this to so that the turntable cover can be opened far enough to install and remove the records.

Why not mount it on some drawer sliders? They make some that mount under the panel, and the player can be pulled out and pushed back in whenever you want.

Well-I kept putting off posting, because my setup always seems unfinished-really speaking about the hardware on top of the Expedits, more so than the record storage part.

I used a Besta unit on top of a 1x5 Expedit, for my main hardware, and I have secondary hardware on top of the others.

All together, I have 1-1x5, and 3-2x4 units. All are on Captiva legs, which get me and my records up off the floor a bit. I have cassette holders under some of them, but these will be mounted on walls soon, and I will use Ikea drawers on the floor, in their place, to hold R2R tapes.

Attachments

• Expedit1.JPG
    Expedit1.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Expedit2.JPG
    Expedit2.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Expedit3.JPG
    Expedit3.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 243
Boy, that looks superbly well organized. I'm jealous!!

I'm curious how those feet are attached. I assume they don't use existing holes, or do they? I'd be really nervous about the weight. Do they seem safe and sturdy enough for you?

I might mention for those of us with no Ikea within hundreds of miles that Target has a couple units in their Threshold line that are nearly identical except only in one color and any configuration you want as long as it's 2x3 or 3x2. Funny because Ikea doesn't have those configs last I checked.

Looks like that guys SL-1200 knock off if out of commision. Reading the directions always helps.

Not to mention, recommended max load for each of these shelves is only 29 pounds, and 90 records weighs almost twice that.

Boy, that looks superbly well organized. I'm jealous!!

I'm curious how those feet are attached. I assume they don't use existing holes, or do they? I'd be really nervous about the weight. Do they seem safe and sturdy enough for you?

Legs are attached with self tapping wood screws. Position leg, use screw point to make a divit, and drive straight down. I missed on a couple, but at least 3 of 4 on each leg were driven true.

Weight is not a problem at all, if you use enough legs, and anchor the units to the wall, as implored by Ikea's directions. Static weight is not an issue, and the anchoring keeps side to side movement mitigated. They are also adjustable (about 1/2 inch). This made it possible to level things, and on the long wall, where I have 2-2x4 units, to make their edges align where they butt up to each other.

So, the screw plate for each leg is not narrow enough so that the screws can all hit the wood frame of the base unless you are careful to orient it a certain way? I know that the Expedit has a hollow core construction, and it's certainly possible to miss the frame. Knowing this now, can you orient the leg, or get it close enough to the edge, so you can be sure that all the mounting screws will hit the wood frame?

So, the screw plate for each leg is not narrow enough so that the screws can all hit the wood frame of the base unless you are careful to orient it a certain way? I know that the Expedit has a hollow core construction, and it's certainly possible to miss the frame. Knowing this now, can you orient the leg, or get it close enough to the edge, so you can be sure that all the mounting screws will hit the wood frame?

The base of each leg is square. I was able to hit solid wood each time. Each leg is about 1/4 inch from the edge of the unit.

Not to mention, recommended max load for each of these shelves is only 29 pounds, and 90 records weighs almost twice that.

Guess it might be better to loosely fill them than squeeze as many in as possible. 90 records is @ 40-45lbs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom