I'm done.

Holy smokes, I never realized those are so much larger than the 2.5's.

I'm with you on the 2.5's. I've got a pair, and for whatever reason they sound as good to my ears as almost anything I've heard.

Congrats on the 4.5's. I've come close a couple of times, they're on my list of speakers I'd love to own.

bs

I’m glad you guys with the 2.5’s are chiming in. It’s a speaker that doesn’t come up here much. I’m beginning to think it’s a very underrated speaker and a hell of a bargain if you can find them.

Up to a few months ago, I was trying to convince myself that the Renaissance 90 was the best speaker I’ve heard, that was until the 2.5’s came through the door, I fixed all the damage, and put them in play. Total game changer for me.

A member sent me a reference CD in a deal we did. On that cd is a drum track, while I was playing it my now late brother in law even came out and says “who bought the drum set” it sounded that Live in the house. So along with that and how well they do everything else I’m very, very happy. Kinda like the 3 little bears this one is just right !

Good to hear you're all set on upgraditis for speakers. I found myself in the same boat with my RS-1s. But that doesn't exclude you from upgrading everything else. I won't be completely satisfied till I put some Threshold SA-1s on my mid towers. Don't know how I'll get those by the wife.

Lots of love for the RS2.5. My favorite rock speaker in my smallish room. A drum kit does sound amazing. Billy Cobham, Spectrum, and return to forever, romantic warrior are nice test albums. Can’t wait until you get those big boys rockin.
Jim

I didn’t know you had 2.5’s Jim, Nice ! Maybe it’s that smallish room that works so well with them cause that’s my situation to. Same for the 4.5’s, I’ll have to measure it but that should keep me off the volume knob :angel:. And I’ll be sure to check out Billy Cobham.

So I did some experimenting yesterday with a leftover original post from the 2B’s, at least on looks they appear to be the same in the 4.5’s, still haven’t opened them up yet. Anyway the center section of the post where the banana plug goes in is about an inch long, but only drilled 1/4 on an inch. So with the correct drill bit I think I can safely keep going another 1/2 inch and it will then accept the full length banana plug making a much more acceptable and secure connection.

This I think is the way to go, nobody will be none the wiser, except us and they remain original. I’ll post a few pics shortly.

Well 2 woofers refoamed, it's nice to have ones that haven't been messed with....so easy to cleanup and do, just a joy to work with.

I've got the thin silver wire in the cabinet and the woofers were all wired correctly (Thanks Kurtgo) you were,pretty adamant about that, so I'm considering myself lucky, No monster wire. I ordered new post like the ones I ordered for the 2B's, the hell what kind of metal the center section of the original is but it don't want to be drilled..!

Amp came in yesterday, I'm being totally honest here. How the Hell does this thing put out 1200 watts at 2 ohms, it weighs peanuts. Which is a good thing when your in mid 50's.....LOL. Just waiting on the preamp and post's and I'll be ready to fire'em up :thumbsup:.

Oh ya, the most stuffing I've ever pulled from an infinity cabinet, 2-13 gallon trash bags stuffed full !

It's also the largest enclosure you've ever pulled stuffing from, right?

I still say the connectors I'm using work fine, but you're gonna do what you're gonna do.
After this gig I can't wait to hear them!
Talk to y'all in a few weeks.

jaz

Be safe Jazz, cya when your back brother. I don't know I think the Crescendo 3009's and QLS-1 maybe are close in volume to the 4.5. Here's a pic of the inside and the wiring for these.
IMG_2444.JPG
I have 2 very happy refoamed Watkins, the other 2 will be done over the weekend.

You really should at least try biamping those once. Just to see how it sounds. For the amps that I had I ended up liking a vertical biamp configuration, using the "strongest" amp on each speaker.

Biamp is the only way to go, way cleaner sound, did you get the active crossover with the speakers? I run mine horizontal config, 1 amp on bottom and 1 amp mid and tweet, the 4.5 setup instructions state this as best. You've now got the best imaging speaker made bar none. Congrats your in an elite group. ummm don't be so cruel to the QLS1, I have to sets of them :)

Some other 4.5 experiences along the way;
I have not biamped mine as I don't have a good enough quality amp to go with the Krell and I also never really thought there was a need with well over 1200 watts available into 4 ohms. It may well be useful so my lack of attempt reflects only my laziness.
The connectors are a bit of PITA, I have a pair of bridging connectors that seem to work just fine.
Interestingly a little old Pass F5 ran them at moderate volumes quite nicely while I had the Krell off being serviced which amazed me.
The EMIMs in the 4.5s seem to get a lot less rippling than the RS2.5s (or at least mine have) It seems to me to be a function of more drivers to spread the load - not sure how even the load is though across the 4 of them - I think the 1Bs have one driver carrying a great deal of the load. I swapped mine out (4.5 and 2.5) and set up Graz versions with stronger magnets and a spacing gasket - sounded even better. This may be due to more extrusion available and perhaps (Although I never noticed it in any case) the Bass-Mid hole is filled in a bit. I kept the pristine originals and have them stored just in case, along with lots of spare diaphragms, EMIM cases, tweeters etc; trouble is I have never needed them.
The Tweeters don't seem to have any problems and also look pristine. I have not yet checked capacitors
The Graz EMIMs also work a treat on the RS-2.5 and perhaps Graz ones in that application are even more useful as the standard ones really seem to take a beating
I also have the external crossover manual if anyone needs it.
Now all I have to do is get them out of their storage and fire them up again :)

I have a lot of speaker systems here, and 30 some amps, big name stuff, I'm not a biased person, just one that like's good sound. Kessler like's the Apogee Scintilla for his reference speaker, HP likes RS4.5 over the Apogee Diva, and I have to agree with him, BUT I think there better than the Scintilla as well because of the imaging and solid fast bass output. When 4.5's are eq flat thier in a whole new league above the rest.I don't go by memory what something sounds like, I run them side by side in same room and form an opinion. Just like HP!

About 7 years back I had a chance to buy a pair of these in almost perfect condition for $1,500 and passed. Another genius move on my behalf.

Good luck with them! I'm sure you'll be more than pleased.

I hear ya, shoulda, woulda, coulda. $1500 was a steal !

Graz emims, I wish I had the cash for 12 I'd probably go for it if I could. 3 grand, the wife would NOT be happy. The bi-amp is a possibility down the road, what power rating would I need for the top end InAp if you read this ?

Today the woofers went back in and the new binding post are installed, as a whole with redoing the main wiring connections to them I'm extremely happy and it's much improved over the stock, never going to worry about connections again ! They now hold standard banana plugs hella nice ! Got give a shoutout to Springfield Speaker Repair, the 12 inch foams they sell for these are awesome ! Not the cheapest but I didn't even have to test tone them in.

So just waiting on the parasound preamp, but tomorrow I'm moving the Symphony pre in and I'm firing these bad boys up !

Impression coming and Thanks for all the info you guys.

Hahaha........ahhhh, I'm very blessed it's not worth the trade :thumbsup:. But I get it DJ.

IMG_2453.JPG IMG_2465.JPG IMG_2466.JPG

Well their up and running, jamming to some Pinback, blue screen life.

Aahahahahahaha......Oooooooo Jazzman you have to come when you get back brother !!!!!!!!!

I can't stop smiling :biggrin: I mean ear to ear.....HOLY SHIT ! YEP I'm DONE !!!!

These are Magnificent Speakers, the crown 2502 is no issue, sound, it's just ****ing awesome, really excuse me for cursing. The Symphony is singing with the GL tubes. For those that know I couldn't live without Izzy, nor could Hurk. That's our new girl, missy.

I know the room is bleak but I should have the bed out and some art, new lounge and stuff up soon.

WOW you guys were right !

Back
Top Bottom