I'm going to sleep though my next brisket

Lux Man

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Maybe I am getting old, maybe I'm just not dedicated enough but in any case, starting a brisket or pork butt at 2:00 am so that "maybe" we can eat at 5:00 pm leaves me very very tired. I love my brisket and pork butt but I just cant do it anymore, Next time I am going to start it at 5:00 pm the previous day, smoke until 11:00 PM or so and then put it in the oven @225 and then, I'm going to bed. Most say only the first 4-5 hours of smoke really does all the "work" anyway. I'll plan on eating around 2:00 PM or so. Anyone one else on board or feel the same? Worst case scenario I have to keep it warm for a few hours.

Dude, I'm too lazy to even own a stove (in my bachelor days). Got crap all the time from friends for not owning a stove for 10 years, but if you cannot cook.........??

Sounds like a plan to me. One that saves headache of monitoring the temp of the pit and loading fuel if it goes low.

Let us know how this turns out - but it makes sense to me.

I'm sure the purists will harrumph at the notion of finishing in an oven, but I've done pork butts this way after smoking for 4-5 hours and they've turned out great.

When pressed for time or need the sleep I pre-cook the brisket overnight in the oven on the lowest setting (200*) and finish it on the smoker. Depending on the size I'll seal it fat side up with several sliced onions and 2-3 bunches of cilantro (no salt) in Reynold's Oven Bag or an aluminum foil pouch.

Well, I slept last night as the brisket cooked. It was 14-15lbs., I put it on yesterday late afternoon @4:30. I used hickory for wood and the weber until about mid-night. I also tried something new- I cross-hatched the fat side just down to the meat and worked in the rub, I think I'll be doing it from now on. IMG_3894.JPG IMG_3897.JPG The temp was holding so well I had a nice nap from 10:30 till 11:45. The temp was 152 at 12:00am. I put it in the oven along with a pan of water at 205 degrees, a little low but I wanted to sleep and not worry about waking up to a black dreid out slab. I did not use the crutch. At 7;30 this norning the temp was 183 so I bumped up to 220 and by 2:00 I was at 203. I took it off and wrapped it in tin foil and towels and put it in a cooler. I don't plan to slice it until 140-145 degrees or so unless the family gets too restless. I snuck off a few burnt ends and they were insanely good. I thought I'd post this now because later I'll be too stuffed. Oh and by the way I got the new garage door open installed while the wait was on. I also bought a new remote thermomenter so I could sit in the house and monitor the temp in the grill and in the brisket at the same time- sweet! No more all-niters for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3893.JPG
    IMG_3893.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3896.JPG
    IMG_3896.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 28
It was tender and juicy from the thinnest part all the way to the other end. I bought the brisket at Costco and it was marked as Prime grade, it was very marbleized. I used the rub from Amazing Ribs.com and the Texas mop sauce. It was as close to perfect as I can produce.

That looks fantastic.

Those Costco prime whole packers were on sale at 3.99/lb - which is *insanely* low.

A friend did one on his Big Green Egg using the hot and fast approach - 275 to 300 (but probably hotter at the grate) for 6 hrs, then rested.

Best brisket I've had, kicked the pants off of any bbq places in San Diego (of course that isn't saying much).

I think the prime grade really makes a huge difference. More leniency in getting great results.

Hey
I use a Cookshack electric smoker. That is well insulated and has a temperature knob that seems to be spot on. So I basically smoke in the oven every time. Eric

Not wanting to start another thread, we bought out first smoker. An electric Pellet smoker,https://www.bbqguys.com/broil-king/smoke-pellet-xl-pro-32-inch-pellet-grill-black-496051?msclkid=c87a0834910b1bcf6862554b3b845ed9&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BIN | SHP | BG | KG |.

We have learned to smoke up until a certain temp and then crank the heat. If not it does take forever. It actually doubled our electricity bill during the month of August. Went from $75 to $155.:wtf:. Le'ts wait and see what this new way (heat up) brings next billing cycle.

Looks delicious! There is only 1 place here where I can get a Prime Brisket and one the size you have is around $110. That crazy money IMO and I have never bought one. But I know they would be excellent.

Heh. I used to do that with mediocre results. I have learned that in order to be a cook good enough to impress yourself and others, you have to sacrifice all for food.
It's like rocking a baby to sleep. You have to be there. I just don't have the patience for next level. Maybe in a few years after i retire i can try again. It's not something you can "wing" successfully and/or repeatedly without bleeding. It takes discipline. Like ballet or Kung-Fu. You have to sweat and have a certain kind of manic intensity to really crush.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! when he unwrapped the foil I just wanted to puke. That was the worst pork but I'd ever seen, the bark was just gone. No idea how he did that! Wrapping mine doesn't do THAT to it. Guys- in my experince pork but is a 15-18 hour cook. I take it off at 200-205 degrees and let it rest. I always let mine rest 1- 3hours - I put it in a cooler wrapped in towels.and wait for the kids to show up. I also use parchment paper with foil over the top= why? just because.

Cooking is great effort and great results but there are short cuts that do not sacrifice great results. I don't have to be up at 2:00 am looking at the stars to produce great brisket and pork butt.

I've read that unwaxed butcher's paper is a good wrap for smoking meats--you can get past the stall if you wrap it once the initial bark sets up, but with the meat not being completely sealed from moisture, it won't kill the bark as it smokes.

I tried a chuck roast per a recipe I found online and wasn't quite happy with it. I had smoked chuck roast out west this past summer and it was excellent. I just need to work on the smoking method. I used the butcher paper on it, and have a large roll to try with the next pork shoulder I smoke. Or I may not, as I have great results with my current method. Why mess it up?

Back
Top Bottom