I'm not really a jazz guy, but...

I still haven't made it the whole way through this pile and today I found about two dozen jazz records of similar vintage at the thrift. The adventure continues!

That is one great run of luck! I'd have been all over the Bill Evans discs. Big, big fan here. I have pretty much all of the SACD reissues of his recordings. Just waiting for a reissue of some of his titles on 180g since earlier runs sold out. (Not the $100 MoFi UD1S though.) Explorations is probably my favorite of the bunch you had pictured earlier. To me, Waltz For Debby is not complete without Sunday at the Village Vanguard, as they are both from the same set of gigs. I've overplayed both of them enough now that I'm taking a bit of a break from those two. Oscar Peterson is another I've enjoyed--his take on West Side Story (on Verve) is likely my favorite of his.

The Kenton box you mentioned earlier...yeah, I could see not liking that one, if it's the Mosaic box I'm thinking of. I'm a Kenton fan myself (played in a big band for a few years myself), but that set is too "old" sounding for my taste. I like some of his later Capitol era stuff like Adventures in Time, Adventures in Jazz, Kenton in Hi-Fi, etc. His is more of the modern big band sound--very influential to those who followed him. Those Mosaic sets have fetched some good coin on the used market--jazz aficionados recognize that these are very well researched, thorough, high quality, and fairly priced when new ($10 per LP, $15 per CD originally). The tracks are presented in chronological order by recording date. I bought the 10-CD Maynard Ferguson Complete Roulette Recordings set and never regretted it. (Now...Maynard Ferguson's Hot! LP on Columbia? That one I regretted...and I bought it used for only a buck or two! :D )

Amazing you could luck into that on your local Freecycle. Ours is terrible--it's mainly broken down old stuff, and more than half the posts are people asking for things. I saw one family pretty much beg for an entire houseful of appliances and furniture, one piece at a time, over several months. And I can't even say the local used record shops are all that good--most of what I've picked up has been too worn to be of any use to me, or scratched (the poorly lit stores are the worst). Just saying your haul was an incredible stroke of luck!

BTW, some of the guys I hang with online (elsewhere) meet up every year or two in Pittsburgh to hit the record shops. I'm tempted to join them one of these years.

Same happened to me about 8 years ago as far as jazz is concerned.
About 1,000 LPs later I can't stop listening too classic and modern jazz (now 90% of my listening).
Great finds, to me most if not all the records are keepers!
Enjoy!!!

I still haven't gotten through the stuff from the spring, and just the other day I found this pile at the thrift. I've already cleaned and listened to the Thad Jones and the Horace Parlan. They are special records. The Thad is a first pressing (NYC label). The Horace is a second (stamped RVG and the "P" {"ear"}).

The Jim Hall has an unfortunate almost complete seam split, but everything else is in fantastic condition.

Both the Thad Jones and the Horace Parlan have $500+ potential if they are in really clean condition.

Both the Thad Jones and the Horace Parlan have $500+ potential if they are in really clean condition.
The Thad would if it wasn't for a couple audible marks and some water damage at the bottom edge of the jacket. The Horace isn't a first press, but a really nice second press. I figure them both to be in the $150-200 range. At any rate, they certainly represent $2 well spent!

Just saw this thread. Congrats on your amazing finds!

I got into jazz when I was in my early 20's, and that's when I started to open my eyes on critical listening and quality of the gear. Over the years, I had chances to buy some rare and sought after records, but no whole collection like yours. If I were you, I'd invest as much as I can on good phono cartridge and make sure to preserve the records in best condition possible.

My setup is in my signature. Do you see any issues?
No, I'm just saying that I'd treat those records like my precious babies. You know you can only listen to them so many times at current condition. Every time you spin it, its life decreases. So get the best out of them each time you listen. Use anti-static gun/brush, and clean them good, it does make a huge difference.

I've got all of the above covered. Thanks.
No, I'm just saying that I'd treat those records like my precious babies. You know you can only listen to them so many times at current condition. Every time you spin it, its life decreases. So get the best out of them each time you listen. Use anti-static gun/brush, and clean them good, it does make a huge difference.

I just saw this thread for the first time. What an amazing score. I'd never leave the house if I stumbled on a collection like this. Congrats.

As a jazz music lover, this is a great score. Congrats.

I loved jazz early on, and got introduced to Bossa Nova staples at an early stage which I fell in love with. It took me a while to appreciate the other intricacies of the genre. I'll be the first to admit that my first listen to an artist like Sun-Ra didn't really bode over well with my preferences, but as I listened more it did really grow on me.

Holy smokes that's a great collection you've stumbled upon. I always say "Everybody Digs Bill Evans" in a grumpy way; I've been searching for his forever and still can't find them. Especially with a budget like mine it's impossible BUT I have able to come across my favorite record in first press: Somethin' Else. Too bad there wasn't any Dexter Gordon in that collection, everybody digs Dexter Gordon too.....

Just saw this thread. You are one lucky, lucky bastard.
If you haven't listened to that Masterpieces By Ellington yet, make sure you do. It's one of the first long-playing jazz albums. Absolutely beautiful stuff. I bought an early mono pressing from a guy in Japan, but unfortunately it showed up with what looked to be someone's attempt to carve their initials mid-way through the first side. Was the only truely bum record I bought while there. The recent most re-release on Sony (1998) is supposed to sound great, from what I've heard.

If you haven't listened to that Masterpieces By Ellington yet, make sure you do. It's one of the first long-playing jazz albums. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

I haven't gotten to any Ellington yet, but like I said, I intend to listen to everything at least once, even if it takes years. The only rule I've discovered for myself so far is that I prefer small combos to big bands.

Back
Top Bottom