I'm scared as h3ll - scratchy sliding pots

Discussion in 'Tape' started by VBB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. VBB

VBB Member

So, I have a Tandberg TCD-420A cassette player that I absolutely love! It works great, but the output volume slider pots are showing symptoms. Both, but especially the Left side, cut out sometimes. If you lightly tap, or move the level up or down, you can get it to come back, but then goes scratchy or out again after awhile. Another, possibly related symptom is that sometines the sound goes up and down a like a wave, while the cassette is playing. Gets really flat and muted sounding, then swells back up to bright and clear. Seems to happen more when first starting a cassette. At first I thought the tapes were bad from being old, but it appears to be the player.

So, I found the quote in the pic, and want to address these pots. I'm guessing Fader Lube, but do I just spray through the front in the 'track' of the slider, or a different way? Or is something other advised? I'm really scared of doing damage after having a round pot problem after using Deoxit5 on a different component! Screenshot_2019-03-14-18-32-21.png

Please register to disable this ad.

2. rojoknox

rojoknox Active Member

Greetings from RojoLand!

You guessed correctly: DeoxIT F5 Fader Lube. Yes, just insert the can's spray tube into the slider slot past the dust gasket, and give it a short shot. Do this on both sides of the slider. Then whip the slider back and forth a few times. Repeat if necessary. Did wonders for my Tandberg 10X reel-to-reel machine. But if the cut-out issue does not resolve, the faders may well require replacement (or a very fiddly rebuilding).

What was the round-pot issue? Perhaps it had more of a problem than a shot of DeoxIT could fix, such as a cracked or broken element, or perhaps just worn out.

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

VBB likes this.
  3. jdurbin1

jdurbin1 Tandberg enthusiast Subscriber

Might want to also use Fader Grease after that, to keep the "feel" silky smooth and same sliding resistance like it was when new. Fader Lube is better than plain doex but it isn't as thick as the original grease.

Ignore dolph, it's pretty hard to actually "kill" the deck much less the pots in any permanent sense. Replacements wouldn't be hard to come by and they can be disassembled and rebuilt if needed. You could pack the pot with fur and it wouldn't damage the rest of the deck, either.

John

VBB likes this.
  4. VBB

VBB Member

Thanks for the replies. It's reassuring to know what I should do, instead of just my best guess.

The other issue I had with Deoxit5 was with a cheap, but very warm sounding Technics SA 424 receiver. It was working fine but had been sitting in a closet for 20 years with the P.O. I decided to clean the pots (balance, bass, treble). A squirt in each pot, then rotate about 100 times full range. I let it sit for 24 hours before powering it up. Then, it sounded great for about 2 minutes, but when I went to turn up the bass knob a tad, the speakers dropped out. No sound at all. I took a quick look inside for fuses or exploded caps, but couldn't see anything. Haven't taken the time to do a thorough diagnostic, but Deoxit scares me now. lol

5. MRL_Audio

MRL_Audio AK Subscriber Subscriber

I seriously doubt Dexoit was the cause of your Technics failure. 20 years of sitting idle... that might explain it.

6. VBB

VBB Member

You may be right, but I don't believe in coincidence. It worked great for a few weeks, and right after I deoxited (is that a word? lol) the moment I moved a 'cleaned' pot, it immediately dropped out!

Please register to disable this ad.