IMF International TLS 80's new owner!! Restoration to begin !

Well I am still waiting for two resters for the X-over upgrade. So I began on the one cabinet I have repaired all the speakers in.

It had some scrapes , dents, scratches and chips. Eventually at a later time I plan to strip the veneer and use some other type
of wood, I was thinking bamboo to match my Floors ;)

Here are some pics. I used the steam and Iron methods to swell the scratches and dents. Some just were too deep to come out. But over all they look a lot better.

27050923006_a4e943ec55_c.jpg
27084114465_43e9c9c73f_c.jpg

27084114445_bde10e5d21_c.jpg
27050926946_069a695f25_c.jpg

27084119305_0f086b99f5_c.jpg
26809716970_336be84784_c.jpg

27084123805_e378b5cb7d_c.jpg
27050931336_16442828eb_c.jpg

27084125795_c3cff258f8_c.jpg
27084126405_d8df2c7292_c.jpg

hi,your right the pictures did came out for me the first time internet was slow,sorry now I see them.

Love them !!!
I've got a pair of TLS80s that are a project, hopefully not as involved as yours, but we'll see once I get in there. I do plan on recapping the xover and I have a question, how is it attached inside the cabinet and how to remove it? It's not obvious to me how to do this and I don't want to break anything.

I've got a pair of TLS80s that are a project, hopefully not as involved as yours, but we'll see once I get in there. I do plan on recapping the xover and I have a question, how is it attached inside the cabinet and how to remove it? It's not obvious to me how to do this and I don't want to break anything.

I have not started the cross over upgrade yet. But it looks like in mine that they are just glued to the foam damping material inside.

I guess I will just have to cut them out or "gently tear" them out , yes an oxymoron if you will. ;)

Athanasios

Hi,welcome you have gently pull out the X over and when it's start to lift use sharp knife (olfa, razor blade etc.) Slice the foam. You will have to clean the back of X over with acetone or varsol to remove the glue.

Hi,Tell me Athanasios, are you satisfera with the TW and STW on your TLS, how is the overall sound,are you please

Hi Ivan, so far , from the limited listening I have done I think they are wonderful in every aspect . The left speaker still has the original super tweeter t that still works but it beginning to curl up on the edges . But for now it works and still sounds great !! I can't imagine how it will sound once I do the crossovers !!!

Hi, yes the carboard paper dry out in start curling, I have fix mine with" gorilla "glue, great stuff. I have some hf 2000 on a pair of Ditton 25 and they have like a Scotch tapes on the edge olding it down but not showing from the front of the tweeter. I'M amaze the way my prof. Sound these days, all these mods I did on my IMF pay off,with time these Mundorf caps sound better, I thing the fact is ,they are big and have plenty of reserve in them to give a very open sound with a very power full rendering. Classical music live is the best to show you what your speaker can do, live rock music is different because it's not Straight from the instruments, sound have more punch and can not be drive so much. And you can not know the real natural sound of the instruments, except Acoustics musics is différents, like jazz, sound is very good.

Hi, I have the same hf1300 but recently i can hear some distortion at some frequences, so i decided to open the tweeter to verify, and i the deepr thin yellow ring seems glued on the iron part of the base,have you glued some else apart the coil with the dome?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom