IMF owners thread!

Jeff, If not on ebay, check Amazon...I got the "Gonna Fly Now" Chris Bickley and the Petroleum Reef Big Band lp there used but mint. Got lucky at $16.50 including shipping, searched about 3 months until it showed up on Amazon; so watch there or maybe discogs too. Found the Loose Caboose by a google search which led to Larry; sometimes these titles pop up at any given vinyl used record seller, and out of the hundreds of dealers, if they list on the internet, the title may pop up someday soon for you ! Completed my set of the 3 different IMF lps...running stereo 2 channel only, don't have an ambisonic decoder. Hope you find a nice copy and that ambisonic decoder too ! Frank

Can you play these on standard turntables/carts and receivers if you only want stereo?

Hi Captouch, It's Frank from the IMF Yahoo group...glad you got your woofer working ! Bill from Miller Sound is a expert at those restorations and a nice guy. We live closeby and I used to visit there. Glad it worked out for you !

Hi Captouch, It's Frank from the IMF Yahoo group...glad you got your woofer working ! Bill from Miller Sound is a expert at those restorations and a nice guy. We live closeby and I used to visit there. Glad it worked out for you !

Thanks! Good to see you here. Yeah, am real happy with the job Bill did. The RSPM's are great speakers.

Yes, the IMF lp's sound great, the music types are different. I play on just 2 channel stereo (they are stereo compatible lps) & the imaging is superb and the extension of the stereo seems to go far outside beyond the outer sides of both speakers, very wide and full. Plus lots of clear and clean audio characteristics are there too.

Jeff, If not on ebay, check Amazon...I got the "Gonna Fly Now" Chris Bickley and the Petroleum Reef Big Band lp there used but mint. Got lucky at $16.50 including shipping, searched about 3 months until it showed up on Amazon; so watch there or maybe discogs too. Found the Loose Caboose by a google search which led to Larry; sometimes these titles pop up at any given vinyl used record seller, and out of the hundreds of dealers, if they list on the internet, the title may pop up someday soon for you ! Completed my set of the 3 different IMF lps...running stereo 2 channel only, don't have an ambisonic decoder. Hope you find a nice copy and that ambisonic decoder too ! Frank

Thanks for the tip Frank! Whaddya know, it's on there.. gonna see if I can snap it up!

I should add to this thread my latest IMF acquisition.

I snapped up a pair of IMF ALS 40 II cabinets. They're in real rough shape, but the "bones" are good. They'll be good candidates for a restoration. I've managed to obtain a pair of IMF ALS 40 II crossovers, but unfortunately one of them is for the IIa and the other one is the correct one for this cabinet.

I already have the correct midrange driver and also I have a pair of the old Audax tweeters.

Unfortunately the part I am at right now is getting the crossovers inductor values figured out. I've read that the laminate core inductors are an important part of the way the IMF speakers sound. I have a set of IMF Super Compact II crossovers, and I also have a set of IMF Super Compacts I could take apart.. but I have no idea what the values are on those crossovers. I only know the values that are on the IMF ALS 40 II crossover. So, we'll see if I can get past this obstacle and if I even have the correct parts.

Other then that, the only other challenge is the foam. One of them is missing some foam, while the other one I'm not sure what happened but it looks like the foam is rotting in some way. Not sure what from or why.. there's this black, sticky material that's covering it. I figured if it melted the foam would be hard, but it's not. Anyway.. I have to clean that up somehow, and then replace the foam in the one cabinet.

Then of course once I get them put together, it'll be time to hear them. I'm not even sure if it'll work with the Kef B200 SP1014s in place of the middle bass driver in the original speaker, but we'll see.

I'll get some pics the next time I pull them out.

Questions about IMF TL-50 IIs

I am pleased to join the IMF owners thread! Just picked up a pair of TL-50 IIs this morning. Local purchase from a CL seller.

The cabinets are in good shape, no significant scratches or dents but some wear here and there. Definitely will need a good cleaning and polishing. Grille clothes are in excellent shape and will clean up nicely. Drivers are all original, and even better, all but one of them works. The non-working driver is a midrange -- foam is gone and, according to the speaker repair shop I took them to this morning, the voice coil is "stuck". They are going to try to repair it.

Can't wait to get them back from the repair shop to give them a listen. In the meantime, a couple of questions for you:

1) If the midrange driver can't be repaired, is there an after-market replacement that you would recommend?

2) The speakers did not come with stands. Are they supposed to have them?

Thanks all! I'll check back in after I have a chance to give them a listen.

Poorman

I am pleased to join the IMF owners thread! Just picked up a pair of TL-50 IIs this morning. Local purchase from a CL seller.

The cabinets are in good shape, no significant scratches or dents but some wear here and there. Definitely will need a good cleaning and polishing. Grille clothes are in excellent shape and will clean up nicely. Drivers are all original, and even better, all but one of them works. The non-working driver is a midrange -- foam is gone and, according to the speaker repair shop I took them to this morning, the voice coil is "stuck". They are going to try to repair it.

Can't wait to get them back from the repair shop to give them a listen. In the meantime, a couple of questions for you:

1) If the midrange driver can't be repaired, is there an after-market replacement that you would recommend?

Poorman

Congrats, they're great speakers.

Falcon Acoustics in UK sells a replacement driver. Look here:
http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/drive-units-1/imf/monacor-msh-115-imf-midrange.html

You may also want to contact another speaker repair shop if your local one can't repair yours. I've used Miller Sound in PA for a total rebuild of my RSPM IV woofers and they did a great job.

As far as stands, most didn't come with stands - I think only later versions came with stands. I built my own and dimensions and pics are here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=502480&page=3

Keep us posted on how you get along.

Is the other mid okay as far as foam? If foam is cracked/gone, you'll want to refoam that as well.

Also, strongly consider recapping the crossovers. Falcon sells kits for that, or if you didn't care about getting as close as possible to originals, you could source the caps stateside. But most IMF fanatics (myself included) go with Falcon to get as close as possible to original.

No affiliation with either Falcon or Miller Sound other than being very happy with their products/service.

Good luck, and pics when you can!

Poorman

Hi Poorman,

I have revised my post with links to restoration parts. See it here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6619821&postcount=6

Poorman

That was a super price you got! Which mid is bad, the one with scotch tape or the other?

Pics??

Yep, the one with the scotch tape. Didn't produce any sound when the repair shop tested it, and apparently the voice coil is stuck. I'm hoping they can repair it, but it's really good to know that a drop-in replacement is available.

I'll post some pics after I get them back and clean them up. I plan to audition them first and then decide on whether to proceed with a recap. I'm really looking forward to the audition. I owned a pair of Compact IIs a few years back and very much enjoyed their musicality. I've been hoping to find a pair of Super Compacts, so when I saw these on CL for what appeared to be a very nice price, I went for it.

More to come. Thanks.

Yep, the one with the scotch tape. Didn't produce any sound when the repair shop tested it, and apparently the voice coil is stuck. I'm hoping they can repair it, but it's really good to know that a drop-in replacement is available.

I'll post some pics after I get them back and clean them up. I plan to audition them first and then decide on whether to proceed with a recap. I'm really looking forward to the audition. I owned a pair of Compact IIs a few years back and very much enjoyed their musicality. I've been hoping to find a pair of Super Compacts, so when I saw these on CL for what appeared to be a very nice price, I went for it.

More to come. Thanks.

Nice. Do the woofer and the other mid have a small pinhole in the centercap? Interesting that yours have the Peerless tweeter instead of the Audax unit more commonly seen, cutout to match. I'd be interested to see what you find for the woofer type if you pull them out. Same for the midrange type if there are any markings. I'll bet that the mid locked up when the suspension went bad and the tape fix probably tilted the voice coil over and it overheated and jammed.

We've run into a number of fixes, I've got 4 mids here that I haven't had a chance to refoam, gotta order the foams and get cracking. Canuckaudiodog likes the Falcon replacement too.

Bi Wiring IMF's

New to this thread and great to find such a prodigious site.
I have been a fan of IMF's since the seventies and I am about to collect a mint pair of original Super Compacts. My query is, can these be be set up for Bi Wiring? Apologies if I offend anyone on the thread, however, I enjoy the my music in this format!
Currently running Rotel RMB 1095, 983 pre with very unsatisfactory B&W's.
Also is the a kit available for the above mentioned to accept Banana plugs?
Any advice or criticism greatly appreciated.

New to this thread and great to find such a prodigious site.
I have been a fan of IMF's since the seventies and I am about to collect a mint pair of original Super Compacts. My query is, can these be be set up for Bi Wiring? Apologies if I offend anyone on the thread, however, I enjoy the my music in this format!
Currently running Rotel RMB 1095, 983 pre with very unsatisfactory B&W's.
Also is the a kit available for the above mentioned to accept Banana plugs?
Any advice or criticism greatly appreciated.

Hey there,

I haven't seen anyone attempt to bi amp a set of SCs. I would join the IMF Yahoo group and ask there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May be this has been covered but I would like to have some opinions on what would be the "Ideal" 2-Channel audio amp (with sufficient power head-room) to drive a pair of IMF TLS 80 MK IIs 8 ohms (Driving power requirements 40 to 80 watts). I am using the Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver (from my Home Theatre set-up)on 2-channel mode which seems satisfactory but would like a stand-alone amplifier just for music.
Thanks

May be this has been covered but I would like to have some opinions on what would be the "Ideal" 2-Channel audio amp (with sufficient power head-room) to drive a pair of IMF TLS 80 MK IIs 8 ohms (Driving power requirements 40 to 80 watts). I am using the Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver (from my Home Theatre set-up)on 2-channel mode which seems satisfactory but would like a stand-alone amplifier just for music.
Thanks

Experimentation is required, but you want something with a decent amount of headroom so that when the IMFs call for low sonic frequencies (like, say, below 50Hz) the amp will not have a problem keeping up. This is generally why tube amplifiers are not recommended to drive IMFs. OPTs can saturate much easier at low frequencies.

Personally I've had good results with a number of different amplifiers, but I do find that the ones with good current capabilities to bring out the best in them. Something that produces 100W @ 8ohms and then at least 50% or more at 4ohms is what you are looking for. I would be interested in trying out Bryston on a set of IMFs for example.

Also, most recommend amplifiers that have stern control over the drivers - IE the damping factor. Keep in mind amplifiers from when these speakers were created had damping factors of less than 100, and now amplifiers are available with very high damping factors. Again, experimentation will be required but, a good choice would be say, a Yamaha power amplifier from the early 80s, or Kenwood makes some very competent amplifiers that would do the trick.

I think if you are looking at modern, most amplifiers you will consider will have good attributes for running IMFs. For example I own a Marantz MM7025 and find it to be excellent driving my IMF RSPM Mk IVs.

Sorry, I know this is not exactly specific advice, but for most speakers I don't think there is going to be a best answer. You just have to try it for yourself to see if it works, but at least what I said above can give you a starting point. :thmbsp:

Oh and, be wary of amplifiers with huge amounts of power, say 300 watts and above. The IMFs do have limitations and you don't want to overdrive those Celestion tweeters and ruin them. The Kef B139 also can not handle SPL levels above 100dB. This can be mostly mitigated by not putting them in a large room (such as say, 20 x 36 or something massive like that), but just something to keep in mind. Now, if you are careful with the volume control and your listening habits, the sky is the limit of course.

Experimentation is required, but you want something with a decent amount of headroom so that when the IMFs call for low sonic frequencies (like, say, below 50Hz) the amp will not have a problem keeping up. This is generally why tube amplifiers are not recommended to drive IMFs. OPTs can saturate much easier at low frequencies.

Personally I've had good results with a number of different amplifiers, but I do find that the ones with good current capabilities to bring out the best in them. Something that produces 100W @ 8ohms and then at least 50% or more at 4ohms is what you are looking for. I would be interested in trying out Bryston on a set of IMFs for example.

Also, most recommend amplifiers that have stern control over the drivers - IE the damping factor. Keep in mind amplifiers from when these speakers were created had damping factors of less than 100, and now amplifiers are available with very high damping factors. Again, experimentation will be required but, a good choice would be say, a Yamaha power amplifier from the early 80s, or Kenwood makes some very competent amplifiers that would do the trick.

I think if you are looking at modern, most amplifiers you will consider will have good attributes for running IMFs. For example I own a Marantz MM7025 and find it to be excellent driving my IMF RSPM Mk IVs.

Sorry, I know this is not exactly specific advice, but for most speakers I don't think there is going to be a best answer. You just have to try it for yourself to see if it works, but at least what I said above can give you a starting point. :thmbsp:

Oh and, be wary of amplifiers with huge amounts of power, say 300 watts and above. The IMFs do have limitations and you don't want to overdrive those Celestion tweeters and ruin them. The Kef B139 also can not handle SPL levels above 100dB. This can be mostly mitigated by not putting them in a large room (such as say, 20 x 36 or something massive like that), but just something to keep in mind. Now, if you are careful with the volume control and your listening habits, the sky is the limit of course.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Your conclusion of the "British Hi-fi showdown: IMF RSPM Mk IV vs. Kef 107" was very well balanced and rightly so there can be no outright winner in good quality speakers- both have quality sound to offer.
What made me ask was that I used a vintage 1976 Pioneer SA 9100 amplifier of 60X60 Watts RMS and damping factor >70 and I felt the overall sound was more controlled than the Onkyo with damping factor 50 even though the power of Onkyo is 150Watts @ 6 ohms (does not say RMS or not). This came about as I started listening to pipe organ music with some very low frequency contents (I may have referred a couple of tracks on the your other thread), I felt the bass was cleaner and more controlled on Pioneer than Onkyo. Then I wondered whether it was just my bias to stereo amplifiers. Multi-channel receivers have come a long way but I guess a dedicated 2-channel amplifier for music will be superior on today's stage.
You have given me much to think about and yes I have to try and listen with an open mind to find out the right amplifier.
Thank you.

Thanks

I use a B&K EX442 Sonata on my RSPM IVs. It has 200W into 8ohms, 350W into 4ohms, and a damping factor of 450. So plenty of power, very high damping factor, and is known for being on the smooth and warm side. It's from the early '90's and you could probably pick up a good condition used one for $250-350 ballpark.

Not saying it's THE ideal, but I think it has many of the attributes you'd want to look for.

Update on my TLS-50IIs:

One of the midranges is dead. Voice coil is burned up according to my local speaker repair shop.

Any advice about how to source a used replacement? Or, should I go with the Falcon Audio drop-in replacement?

Thanks.

poorman

Back
Top Bottom