IMF owners thread!

Yvan, thanks for your response. Despite my searching efforts, I wouldn't have managed to find that on the internet.
I'll be trying lighter gaz. If that won't work I read about carefully using acetone as a last resort...

Have you ever used LTS 50?

Tried Gaz, didn't work. However, I did find out that acetone should not dissolve polypropylene. I'll give that a go.
Meanwhile I found some info on LTS50. It seems to be developed specifically for paper cones. I've sent an e-mail to Visaton to find out if they would advise applying it on PP, as I know that not many glues stick to PP.

Hi,I used on some Kef SP1003 midrange, it make an excellent job on the cone,but I apply a lot of coat with a small artistic brush. I'M not home presently, but I'll take some pictures of it. Best regards,Yvan.

Cool, will look forward to that.
I have ordered LTS50, should be in this week. Meanwhile I have tried using acetone. With regard to the outer part of the cone at which the surround once was glued, acetone is the bomb; carefully applied it softens the glue as no other agent did. Even then it's not easy to remove the glue. Currently using a straight exacto knife to get rid of it carefully. The acetone does not affect the cone itself.
Acetone applied to the dope also softens the dope. However, after it softens you just seem to be able to smear it. This just might 'level' the dope and I'll give it a go covering it with a layer of LTS50 this week to see what it does. If it all works out I could send up some pics.

Hi,some pictures (2) of original dope IMF midranges and the 20170710_090821.jpg 20170710_090809.jpg 20170710_090056.jpg 20170710_090056.jpg not paint midranges frame are dope with Visaton membrane

Attachments

• 20170710_090159.jpg
    20170710_090159.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 11
Hi, the original IMF mids seems to have thick coat material, the Visaton is very liquid so I give coats (5-6) on top + did the inside carefully without touching the spider (1-2) coat,it give me a rigid cone like the original IMF mids and it is light.

Aesthetically an improvement Yvan, I must say. Did you remove all the original dope? That must have been a pain.

Does the LTS stay sticky as that IMF goo? I hope not.

Hi, no the IMF SP1003 have the original IMF dope, the two SP1003 with no paint on the frame, was extra stock and I have put the Visaton dope on it. They didn't have dope previousl'y. It just to show you the Visaton lts50 make an excellent job and it is non sticky after drying,

It went well with the dope. As you stated Yvan, LTS50 is thin and you have to prevent it during drying from dripping down. Best way doing this would be a rotating device on which the driver would rest. So I knicked some of my son's Knex. It is supposed to be black, but it clearly has a dark grey color. I had hoped it would cover all the light specks, but unfortunately it didn't. It also dries satin (disclaimer: at least when applied to a layer of dope).

I decided to use sandpaper (grain 2000) to even the cone and hopefully sand away some of the specks and spots. To my surprise I found that the LTS50 still was fully soluble which made me decide to use an acrylic resin dispersion as a fully waterproof (as well as a glossy) cover over the LTS50 which I had to apply again.

After sanding, to get rid of the light specks, I used a black Edding 300 marker making the cone fully black again. After that I applied two coats of LTS50. Finished it off with two coats of acrylic resin dispersion (white when applied, dries transparent) and hey presto! So long dirty sticky drivers!

Attachments

• foto01.JPG
    foto01.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 46
  • foto02.JPG
    foto02.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 47
  • foto03.JPG
    foto03.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 46
  • foto04.JPG
    foto04.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 46
  • foto05.JPG
    foto05.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 46
  • foto06.JPG
    foto06.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 48
  • foto07.JPG
    foto07.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 47
  • foto08.JPG
    foto08.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 52
  • foto09.JPG
    foto09.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 49
  • foto10.JPG
    foto10.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I have a very special friend coming to visit that is very well known IMF buff known world wide. Can't wait.....

As the TW/1500 Elac tweeters of my IMF are sticky as hell too and have collected dust and what not as well over the years, I was wondering if anyone has experience with replacing these with rubber dustcaps?

For instance, where to get them from? I haven't managed to find a duplicate yet :(

Last edited:
My IMF "The Studio" I believe they are very rare

Attachments

• 2017-05-28 13.02.27.jpg
    2017-05-28 13.02.27.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum, you're Studio are the early version with the Kef tweeter ? And they are fill with fiberglass insulation instead of foam , the opening at the bottom is very big.The sound satisfy you I hope,did you ever compare tthe sound of your's with a newer model Tls 50? Best regards,Yvan.

My IMF "The Studio" I believe they are very rare

Die mid's zijn ook al aan een beurtje toe :rolleyes:
Seldenrijk in Heerhugowaard might be able to tell something about these providing you give him the serialnumbers, which he actually collects.

Last edited:
I am picking up a pair of The Studio speakers in a few days. I currently own a pair of TLS 80, which are great. Can anyone tell me how similar the Studio speakers will be to the sound of the TLS80?

Back
Top Bottom