1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

IMF owners thread!

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by canuckaudiog, Mar 18, 2013.

1. dogwan

dogwan Dogwan

Not sure if this question was directed at me or not. But, I did look for some TLS50 MkI crossover and see some similarities and also some differences. I have my crossover sketched out and just need to refine and double check it. Will post it when I have time to complete.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dogwan

dogwan Dogwan

Here's my drawings of the crossovers for my "The Studio's". I am told they are very early ones. On the T-15 tweeter the wires come out of the metal housing and if there were markings they're gone. I assumed the Black wire is the negative side. The wires from the crossover were spliced to the driver, so not sure if there was a change at some point. Also, I am not positive that the mid is an EMI driver. It has some kind of doping on the cone and an inverted surround that appears to be some kind of thin rubber or PVC?

I'm still on the fence whether to restore these to original or make a bunch of improvements. Any input is appreciated either way.

I have another thread I started in the speaker forum to document my re-build. But, I will keep coming back here for expert advice as it progresses.
    IMF Crossover schem.jpg IMF Crossover map.jpg

3. petervv

petervv Active Member

hi All,

I walked into a pair of near mint Compact II's and couldn't resist for 45 euro (52 US $)
    Units are like new, wood has some minuscule marks but overall stunningly beautiful for speakers 40 years old!

image5.jpeg image4.jpeg

They look cute next to my RSPM's :)

image2.jpeg image1.jpeg

kind regards, Peter

4. petervv

petervv Active Member

hi Dogwan,
    I would restore them to original using the Falcon capacitor kit. Using better capacitors will change the voicing of the speaker, other improvements like moving the crossovers outside the box will ruin their value. As the inductors have iron cores they are much less sensitive to having other inductors close, I wouldn't bother.
    Whatever you change to the design, the units still are 40 years old, if you really want better sound quality, buy modern speakers, things really have improved since the 70's.
    Of course, this is just my opinion, your milage may vary.

kind regards, Peter

5. dogwan

dogwan Dogwan

Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning. I think it would be the path of least resistance as far as causing headaches. I already have the capacitor kit from Falcon in hand. Yours is the 1st opinion that the inductors are fine where they are. I get that they may be better oriented a different way, but worry that I would ruin the voicing if they were tested and adjusted the way they are.