IMF owners thread!

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by canuckaudiog, Mar 18, 2013.

1. snarfie

snarfie New Member

Nice job. Will get next week also a CM2 project to handel. Did the new capacitors set and foam made the whole peformance better (highs, low, mids, imaging). What is your impression

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dogwan

dogwan Dogwan

Any chance you could take a better picture straight on and minimal glare? Also give me measurements?

I have been searching the Bay for some originals to come up for sale, but no luck. I am going to have a trophy and engraving shop down the street make a pair for me.

Thanks,
    Dogwan

3. Yvan_donald

Yvan_donald Well-Known Member

Hi,okey I'm not home but will do it and post on AK,best regards,Yvan.

4. mech986

mech986 This Custom Title box has a 50 character limit. Subscriber

Could also get a 3Dscan of an existing one and then have it 3D printed.

5. mech986

Hi Everyone, I have a question for TLS50 / 50 MK II, and Super Compact Monitor I / II / III owners. Can you advise which woofers and cone midranges your specific speakers have inside? I know the mids to be hard to remove for inspection so a pic can almost be just as helpful.

Reason I’m asking is to try to build a rough database or experiential data pool of drivers used to aid in identification and replacement if possible.

For the TLS50, I’m expecting a KEF B200 type or IMF / ELAC 8” woofer, for the Mk II version mostly the ELAC (8/22, 8/24 or 8/26). For the SCM, probably the same types, just different spec number. All should be bextrene type drivers.

6. AndreasH

AndreasH New Member

maybe you can find some answers on THIS website

regards
    Andreas

7. mech986

Thank you, have visited there many times but there is precious little information on the specific drivers used in specific models outside of the generally known KEF, Celestion, and a few TDL and Audax supplied drivers.

8. IMF_Pioneer

IMF_Pioneer Active Member

Sadly that site has fallen into a state of disrepair as it's no longer maintained. It used to have a lot more information on it but it has gradually disappeared bit by bit.

I have offered to take it over many times and make it a much more comprehensive site, but it's owner just wants to do nothing with it and instead plays on the "discord" site, something that I'll have nothing to do with.

9. Yvan_donald

Yvan_donald Well-Known Member

Hi, I know the tls 50 mk I came with mostly Kef b 200 Sp1014 and some peerless woofer too (# ?), samething for Als 40 mk I but many with Peerless woofer with another Peerless with different magnet very well damped round frame with clamps to hold both woofers, some woofer came with white surround with frame like the old B&W, mid is EMI 4" like in the old Decca speakers in all the Mk 1 serie no foam,no real rubber surround but look like very thin mold black film (strech),tweeter Peerless with wire outside across the middle with felt, later Peerless with diagonal line, woofer,mid,tweeter all 8 ohm, super tweeter's they say microphone encapsulated install on a faceplate ,see no magnet minimum 16 ohm probably more? Even the tls 50 mk II use the same super tweeter's.tls 50 mkII came with woofer B200 Sp1022 and later Sp1039 ,later Elac 8/30 and later 8/30 with rib on the cone .Audax mid,Audax tweeter ,Peerless tweeter ,later Elac mid, Elac tweeter.same microphone STW or maybe Coles STW latest model. Maybe the time IMF use the Peerless woofer happen at the time KEF have a big fire and change a bit the mold casting shape of the B200 Sp1014 frame? Or not. Before the Tls 50 mk I was the old Studio.

10. snarfie

snarfie New Member

Interesting to know how a freq curve from 20 to 20.000hz looks like for the Compact II en the Compact II monitor (CM2). Measurment done with Mathaudio Room EQ.
    Compact II
    [​IMG]
    CM2
    [​IMG]

When using the Bypass mode I notice that the Correction made on the CM2 is way less than with the Compact II. You can also see that the Highs are more stable from the CM2's. The CM2 has almost from design a flat curve. Also Dynamic headroom of the CM2 looks much better.

11. Meemsy

Meemsy New Member

@ mech986 I've got a pair of recently purchased TLS50 MKII's and I have to pull one of the woofers to find out what it is so I can find a replacement.
    I will see if I can check the mid for you too for your "rough database"
    I'll post my findings within the next few days.

12. mech986

One pair of my TLS50mkII has the later KEF B200 SP1039 as used in the KEF Reference 104/104aB speakers. The midrange is the ELAC 43M/101 with the white cardboard cylindrical gasket at the outer circumference of the surround. The surround has the typical stiffened and extensively dimpled degradation literally into a stiff crumbly mess.

13. mech986

I'm looking into doing this with my son's 3D printer. He said he could probably print out any number of them as needed. What would people need, the "IMF Electronics" version, or the early "IMF" only type?

That's very sad and I know the site has not been updated for some time. Also, the letters/email regarding IMF and Bud Fried (who distributed them early on in the USA but had NO input on the design of IMF speakers) need to be preserved elsewhere with attribution. In fact, IMO, much of the info and data should be downloaded and saved for another more organized site if the owner will not manage them properly.

14. JimPA

JimPA Distinguished Member

In order for one to view the missing links on the IMF website one has to pay embee.duckdns.org for it's use.

15. IMF_Pioneer

IMF_Pioneer Active Member

who would that actually be ? as I've never seen anything about payment for advanced features displayed on that site.

16. JimPA

JimPA Distinguished Member

I was able to find their site which required payment to view the missing Fried and IMF pdf files.
    This is one reason why Stephan has let the IMF website go.