Impress yourself, or your friends?

Can't believe I'm posting on a 10 year old thread, but time is timeless for DIY's people. Besides, Kiwi Steve jumped in back in the end of last year. I'll keep it goin'/flowin' for another.

Built mine as I wanted to get the most at the time for the least. Funds back then were scarce.

Not knowing anything bout what were decent innards, this forced me to find out. Wharfes and Phillips ruled at the time in a three way.

I could work wood and had access to a great shop, so decided on a shape with back corners cut off so they could best fit in corners. Again, I had to do the research to find out the best design that would fit my demands and followed to the letter the plans. They were ported speakers made from the last 1" composite that you can't buy today. When I move them, I need to use a small platform on wheels. Being as heavy as they are, the sig other has threatened to bury me in one of them and she might!:)

They ain't pretty covered with padded black vinyl, but I like them and I'm a hell of critic with a fair ear and am totally unbiased. Not!

Shot my load for the night. Bed time. 10 years old this thread...:confused:

Q

Last edited:
LOL.. wow.. I can't even believe this is 10 years old.. I guess it's the way it flies when you're having fun... Yeah.. been a little while since I've been on the forum... Just had a lot going on..

I actually just got done building me a 3 string cigar box guitar yesterday, but it's really not a cigar box..... rather a box I built... but still.. you get the picture.. I may not be building speakers, but I'm building music makers still :D

A
LOL.. wow.. I can't even believe this is 10 years old.. I guess it's the way it flies when you're having fun... Yeah.. been a little while since I've been on the forum... Just had a lot going on..

I actually just got done building me a 3 string cigar box guitar yesterday, but it's really not a cigar box..... rather a box I built... but still.. you get the picture.. I may not be building speakers, but I'm building music makers still :D

And?....And? Don't keep us waitin' for that other foot to hit the floor!

How did the cigar box guitar, but a instead a modified guitar work out? I remember building a cig box when a kid and it turned out sounding just like a....cigar box guitar. Terrible!;)

Q

Actually it turned out sounding really nice... a little banjo, some decent guitar tone, and a splash of sitar almost... very unique and pleasant. I had a friend play it today that plays a lot of guitar, and has a couple hand fulls of them... he said the neck, frets and action came out really nice, and I nailed the intonation.. spot on.. I do need to change out the rod I'm using as a zero fret to one just a tad taller.. I've got just a real slight string rattle that we both think will go away with a taller zero fret... or as it would be on a guitar.. the nut..

Oh.. I electrified it tooooooo, and it sound pretty damn good when I jack it into the home system... add distortion, and it's a real bluesy box...

OH, and for those that are about to give me crap about plugging it into the stereo...:p those that know me, know I'm running a mixer as my pre, and I use nothing but PA amps, and all the drivers in my speakers are high end, high wattage, PA drivers, so no damage possible, unless the cat jumps on the mixer...

I need to re-up my subscription on here so I can post more pictures.. I'm WAY over the non subscriber limit.. I should put it up to youtube at least... but it's hell uploading video over satellite.

Last edited:
COOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Now I really feel badly about my efforts as a kid, but have the defence of just being a kid at the time, and NOT having the luxury of having a "Gibson" measuring stick.(Private joke there. Sim knows.)

On the other hand, really happy to see how yer quasi Gibson turned out. And don't worry bout losing fans over that electric thingy. Dylan did for a while, but he rebounded. Like he even got medal!

Great share Sim.:thumbsup:

Q

I don't know if you ever watched It Might Get Loud, but Jack White whips up an impromptu electric guitar:

Oh, and to answer the question in that old OP -

I don't think anybody I knows even cares that I have a stereo. I can't think of a single person ever asking to hear it - they are way more impressed with the TV.

Oh yeah.. seen that when it first came out... Part of the reason I've always liked Jack.. he knows a lot about music and how what he likes came about. He's been doing a lot to help preserve the old stuff... and styles and sounds...

Just me, myself......and I !!!

But the attention from others is not usually one of being impressed. First reaction from most is one of dismay, like as if it takes a college education to get the most from all that equipment besides how great it all could sound. We are talking about people that have been pacified by corporations that have been providing consumer friendly low performance products for decades. Second reaction is how much all this could have possibly cost irregardless of weather I can afford it or not. Then the young ones that live for video games can't grasp it at all....tilt !!! Most people these days listen to music alone, so entering a room with very low levels of acoustic music playing is a new experience. Some can not listen to music and think at the same time and have to talk over the music so they can hear themselves when they think....with the exception of great vintage Christmas music. It takes allot for some people to get over themselves because so many people expect most people to be the same and think the way that they do. But, if you play their favorite song, it changes everything......

Just me, myself......and I !!!

But the attention from others is not usually one of being impressed. First reaction from most is one of dismay, like as if it takes a college education to get the most from all that equipment besides how great it all could sound. We are talking about people that have been pacified by corporations that have been providing consumer friendly low performance products for decades. Second reaction is how much all this could have possibly cost irregardless of weather I can afford it or not. Then the young ones that live for video games can't grasp it at all....tilt !!! Most people these days listen to music alone, so entering a room with very low levels of acoustic music playing is a new experience. Some can not listen to music and think at the same time and have to talk over the music so they can hear themselves when they think....with the exception of great vintage Christmas music. It takes allot for some people to get over themselves because so many people expect most people to be the same and think the way that they do. But, if you play their favorite song, it changes everything......

Insightful!

Q

Back
Top Bottom