Impressed with a Crown XLi 2500 class A/B amplifier

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by Rpower53, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:09 AM.

Tags:
  1. Rpower53

Rpower53 New Member

Trying out a new Crown XLi 2500 amplifier for my JBL 250Tis and I am very impressed with it's sound quality. I expected it to control the speakers well and it does with the bass lines more prominent and controlled. But I was hoping that it would be very revealing as well and it is, which I did not expect. This amplifier is 500 watts per channel of class A/B sound not class D as some other Crown amps are. Weighs in about 30 pounds with a HUGE torroidal transformer inside. Must allow a couple of weeks of break in to come to full clarity as it sounds rather closed in right out of the box. I am thrilled at the sound of this amplifier and for $399 delivered it is a no brainer. It may well be replacing my Parasound A23 which is a very fine amp also. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 1:39 PM
    7.62 and Tooker like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet

How loud are the fans?

3. Silentnet

Silentnet AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very light Class A bias if it's really class A/B good for 500 watts and only 30lbs... The Adcom GFA-555 is 34lbs and "only" good for 200 watts in to 8 ohms. Likely over-rated like many modern Crown amps. Not saying it's bad by any stretch, just probably not 500 watts.

4. Rpower53

Rpower53 New Member

In my audio cabinet, I have never heard the fans.

Hipocrates likes this.
  5. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Over-rated, you have example?

I recently measured one of the 9lb XLS 1000s. Rated power 215wpc, I measured 227. A reputable company in pro audio will not be around long if their amps do not do what they are advertised to do.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 8:57 PM
    7.62 and Hipocrates like this.
  6. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet

Nice, I ask because I've thinking in one of those for my HT... Thanks for the heads up!

7. yuman

yuman New Member

I bought the Xli 800 for $229.00 delivered from Amazon as a temporary amp to power my Polk SDA 2B...if it sucked I'd send it back. It dosnt and I didn't. Very responsive to cable and power cord changes. I only hear the fan whisper with my head right against the amp.

8. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

Crown XLS 1502 here, no complaints, never heard the fans. Use it everyday for HT & 2 channel. It's no Krell but damn sure does work and sounds good to me for $ to power ratio.

9. FastG

FastG AK Subscriber Subscriber

Run a XLS 2500 driving a pair of KEF LS50's. After reading some posts be I think Mr Mobious (sp) he was driving some hi end speakers with a XLS series amp. So one came up om Barter Town NIB $300. That was a WOW moment, replaces a Mac 2100. Never heard the fans come on, the amp is in a enclose space with little ventilation, I just open the door when the amp is running, it will run for hours without the fans coming on. Amazing amps always on the lookout for another.

Graham

7.62 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.