In the Market for New 4K HDR TV

kfalls

My Sony KDL-52XBR4 after working great for almost 10 years now has dark/flaky pixels. I was watching a show the other day and two groups of pixels along the same horizontal line failed at the same time. I can't complain too much, it's been going strong since I purchased it. I had actually been waiting for it to fail to take advantage of the improvement in current designs. I couldn't justify a replacement with two good working XBR TVs.
So I'm in the market and ready to purchase. I've been looking at the Samsung 8 and 9 Series Quantum Dot TVs which look great, but I've heard rumors about forced advertising on the most recent firmware update. I'm also looking at the Sony X940E, X900E, X840E and X800E. I'm also looking at the Visio M and P series.
I'm looking for your experiences and problems with any or all TVs. I'd like to stay in the less than $2000 range. I use it mostly for TV, but expect it to astound me with 4K movies streaming and from disc. I would have liked having 3D, but it appears to be going by the wayside. I'm most interested in 4K, HDR and decent back-lighting. OLED is OK, but pricey right now and leaves me making a choice between going with a 55" rather than 65".
Your experiences please.

I have the Samsung 8000 series and have it mated with an Oppo udp 203 and in very satisfied with it, I had it professionaly calibrated and it has made a noticeable improvement. I don't have any advertisements on it so I guess it skipped me. I will however advise you to look into DSE or Dirty Screen effect, I went through 6 tvs that were plagued with it. Good luck with your search, there's alot of good 4k tvs out there that are pretty decently priced.

Audiofreak71

I can't offer you experiences of the Tv's you are looking at, but I can join the shopping trip because I too am looking for a 4K HDR screen within the next week (hopefully). My requirements are similar to yours too, so I'll post any relevant info I find.

I'm looking for a 10-bit panel because I believe 8-bit is 'fake' HDR and something with a decent refresh rate of <40ms in all modes. I'm not a gamer but still, nice to have. I'm also looking for HDCP 2.2 compliance (or so I've been told lol). Screen size 50"+

I have a Samsung 7000 and 8000 series,the 8000 is a 60 inch with HDR and is a great tv,I tried a Sony I did not like it
Picture looked soft not as bright as Samsung,the vizio was not bad.my wife has a Xbox 1s which uses HDR and
The picture is flat out wow.we like bright tvs and the Samsung is bright people have seen madmax fury road on the
8000 Samsung and have said it was great.

Samsung sent me an email with a few of their tv's on sale. When you guys mention the 8000 model # does that include model #MU8000?
Which is a 55" with 4k and UHD. I have a 60" Samsung DLP I'm replacing and kinda like Samsung's products....so far.

Back
Top Bottom