Inexpensive phono pre-amps

IMHO one of the better inexpensive old vintage phono pre's is the Realistic p/n 42-2930 or 2101A. It is simple passive FET based circuit fully discreet design. 2 transistors and no op-amps. I'm running a 2930 version with a tube pre / vintage tube power amp.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread but what does the saga do?

Saga is their inexpensive, tube buffered passive pre-amp. It’s remote controlled if you’re into that, and has 5 inputs. I’m set up with a Mani feeding the Saga, and the Saga feeding my old Adcom gfa-555 power amp. The Mani/Saga combo sounds much cleaner and more open than my old Adcom pre-amp did. Not big budget stuff, but good sound for the $. ^_^

Attachments

• DD4A13EA-1D60-49CF-9386-DD3F4635A7D0.jpeg
    DD4A13EA-1D60-49CF-9386-DD3F4635A7D0.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 16
Approx $75 + case of your choice. Its one of the best phonostage I have ever heard.We have compared it with so many expensive and high end phonostages DIY or commercial. It always comes good.

Regards
Sachin

The DIY phono preamps like the CNC and the AD797 offer a lot of capability for a reasonable price. There are long threads for each, detailing the experiences and experiments of many members. Lots of good tips and suggestions, and members are always willing to help, or answer questions.

I’d like to build one of those. Can I buy it as a complete unassembled kit, or will I need to source every part myself?

IMHO one of the better inexpensive old vintage phono pre's is the Realistic p/n 42-2930 or 2101A. It is simple passive FET based circuit fully discreet design. 2 transistors and no op-amps. I'm running a 2930 version with a tube pre / vintage tube power amp.
I just got a 42-2930. Can it be modified to improve it like they do to the 2101s?

If you have a decent system don't scrimp on a phone pre. My Outlaw RR2160 has MC capability but it was not enough. Music Fidelity LX2-LPS MC/MM. At 300 bucks it's not cheap but for me worth every penny.

If you have a decent system don't scrimp on a phone pre. My Outlaw RR2160 has MC capability but it was not enough. Music Fidelity LX2-LPS MC/MM. At 300 bucks it's not cheap but for me worth every penny.
The title of this thread is "inexpensive phono pre-amps".
Then he asks the question
...(if it IS possible to use another preamp...) what would be a competent, affordable, one to get?
So you recommend a $300 pre-amp?

Yeah. So what. It's his decision not yours I just gave another view.

I've seen several Realistic models on the auction site that have been refurbished and set up to use 9-volt batteries for power. Anyone familiar with these units? Is the refurbing/rebuilding necessary to make the Realistic models good?

The title of this thread is "inexpensive phono pre-amps".
So you recommend a $300 pre-amp?
The $300 level is about where new phono preamps start to rise above mediocre. Since the phono preamp is the most important piece of electronics in a vinyl system, I call it a good recommendation. You can buy a good-sounding amplifier for $26 these days. The same is not true for phono preamps.

The $300 level is about where new phono preamps start to rise above mediocre. Since the phono preamp is the most important piece of electronics in a vinyl system, I call it a good recommendation. You can buy a good-sounding amplifier for $26 these days. The same is not true for phono preamps.
I suppose we all have different ideas of what is inexpensive.
I don't think $300 is anywhere near inexpensive.
He also uses the word affordable. I guess that is subjective.

As a fan of the Parasound product line, you can find gently used (or even new) zPhono phono-pre's all day long long on fleabay for 200-300. Highly recommended.

I use the Vista Audio Phono 2 in my bedroom system and have no reason to upgrade.

$300 IS cheap for such a phono preamp. Great value.

But I can part with my phono 1 for a lot less...

The first MC preamp I got was the NAD PP2. Fantastic preamp for the price. I upgraded the power supply and it sounded great. I sold it when I got a Kenwood C1 Basic. Now I use a Denon 210 step-up transformer with my 103 and am very satisfied with the results.

Back
Top Bottom