Infinity 7 Kappa - Midrange Polydome Blown

kermit_xc

So the other day I was posting about the adjustment pot not working on my 7 Kappas - well, it sucks to be me, turns out the midrange driver is blown, voice coils are shorted :(

The guy I bought it from had it serviced by Millersound FWIW

Either way - what are my options?

- back to millersound ?
- or is this a viable option: Kappa 6 7 8 9 Speaker MM21504 http://r.ebay.com/HvwhcK ?

cheers good people!

Last edited:
... actually scratch that, took that thing apart and looks like the lead is loose right were it connects to the voice coil. When pushed with a meter probe I'm reading 5.5 ohms ... soooooo, yay me - but how do I repair that thing, don't want to unleash the soldering iron on the poor voice coil

Bob at Millersound warns on his website about this potential issue. Generally happens when trying to remove the soldered lug from the midrange. Suggest you contact him. Whatever you do, no solder iron on voice coil.

... actually scratch that, took that thing apart and looks like the lead is loose right were it connects to the voice coil. When pushed with a meter probe I'm reading 5.5 ohms ... soooooo, yay me - but how do I repair that thing, don't want to unleash the soldering iron on the poor voice coil

Bob at Millersound warns on his website about this potential issue. Generally happens when trying to remove the soldered lug from the midrange. Suggest you contact him. Whatever you do, no solder iron on voice coil.

Too late ... I ended up gently jumping the failing lead with a soldering iron. Problem fixed ... sounds great !!!

I just sent my Infinity Polydomes to Miller Sound and I am very pleased with the results. The speakers sound great and the customer service is outstanding.
I had a separate problem with the tweeters on one speaker and they gave me step by step directions on how to fix it, free of charge.
Loretta is always a pleasure to deal with.

I just sent my Infinity Polydomes to Miller Sound and I am very pleased with the results. The speakers sound great and the customer service is outstanding.
I had a separate problem with the tweeters on one speaker and they gave me step by step directions on how to fix it, free of charge.
Loretta is always a pleasure to deal with.

yeah? everyone is always interested in a way to fix emit-r's so, what was the damage and the process to repair it?
Seriously, I'd love to hear it.

They said to first clean the tweeter control in the back. If that doesn't work, replace the tweeter cap, which is the smallest cap on the crossover. They also said to cut the old cap off where the wires join the cap. That way you can solder the new one on without messing with unsoldering it at the board.

Back
Top Bottom