Infinity CS 3006 vs Kappa 5.1 ?

CDELON

What really is the difference between the CS 3006 and Kappa 5.1. Kappa 5.1 has dual ports in front. CS 3006 single port in rear. Is there truely a significant difference in sound? Anyone have any info or experience with these two speakers?

They're probably pretty similar in sound, they seem to have the same components and approximately the same cabinet sizes. CS series was considered to be a "poor man's Kappa" and that's probably more true with this model than with any other.

That's interesting. The tech manuals and other searches have them both selling RetIl for 899.00 a pair in the early 90's. Same components, different box. Same speaker, minus a Kappa logo. Thats why I posted my question. Do the dual ports in the front with the Kappa 5.1 make dramatic differences over the single pot in the back with the CS 3006. I understand with the ports in the front. You can put them against the wall. With the rear port, you need two or more inches away from the wall.

The CS series was sold only by Circuit City. The Kappa series were generally sold by dedicated audio stores. Circuit City probably would have discounted their speakers more than a stereo shop. Can't answer the question about the ports, though.

I can't say between the 5.1/3006 but I do have a pair of 3007 and 6.1s and even them with their somewhat significant differences sound very similar. The mids in the kappas are a bit smoother (likely due to the polydome) and the bass is a bit punchier/boomier (single large forward firing port vs CS3007s 2 woofers with small rear port) but even then you have to A/B them with a speaker selector to really pick up on the differences. I would imagine that the 3006s and 5.1s sound almost identical based on how similarly they are put together. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the Kappas were noticeably punchier/boomer with their front ports.

I ran both off of an Adcom GFA-555 with a Niles speaker selector when I did my initial comparison, ymmv.

From what I have been reading. The CS Series were made directly for Curcuit City. They wanted a high end speaker to offer. Articles I have read indicate that Curcuit City only kept one set for display and auditioning. They kept no stock in warehouse. If you wanted them, you had to order them. With that being said. I doubt they sold in volume. Meaning there are probably fewer of these still around that the 5.1 kappa.
It makes sense that infinity would use a high end speaker they already produce for Curcuit City. By changing the box, they differentiated them from the 5.1 kappa. That way it could be marketed as exclusive. Happy to have them. The restoration turned out well and they sound fantastic.

Last edited:
My uncle bought a pair of 3008's at circuit city in Nj they had plenty of them in stock at the time, in fact we first bought the 3006's and returned them and got the 3008's.

Ok, I guess the Curcuit City employ from the 90s that commented on the article didn't work in NJ ? He may have worked in a less affluent market.?

Only the 3009 wasn't stocked iirc. It was the one that they only had the demo pair.
I could be wrong, but it's been a whole heap of years since. I also seem to remember the WoW! brothers had the same, some speaker made for them only, but I don't remember the manufacturer.

Thanks for the update. That would make more sense. A box store is not going to sell many speakers that would be the same price point as say the Kappa 9's. Even I will admit. At that price point. I would want to buy from a high end store specifically focused on high end equipment.

A very interesting current thread because I was just going to post the same question about Kappa 6.1 series II vs CS 3008. Similar specs but Kappas are 6 ohm with polydome mid (blessing or curse?) and front port. CS 3008 are 8 ohm 4way with rear ports. Front ports do better in my listening space imo. Both are bi-ampable and power is not a problem. Brunt's A/B compare 3007 vs 6.1 is very revealing in that they are so similar. It looks like the 3007 has two 8" woofers and the 3008 has 10" woofer and 6.5" mid-bass, crossed at 200-800-3000. 6.1 is crossed at 500-4.5K. Kappa has mid/tweet pots but CS does not. Hmmmmm…...

Back
Top Bottom