Infinity Kappa 8.1

Hey 7.62 if you poke around enough you might find a similar set of spikes that is adjustable. There used to be an ak sponsor who made different types. I can't remember the company.

tape the paper to the speaker on the top only, letting it hang naturally. That way the tape acts like a hinge. Like I said, the whole point of that tapered port is to keep it from chuffing, but if you hang a piece of paper there and watch it, you'll see some movement. I can't speak for the vinyl, but Nevermind is a terrible master with little bass, btw. it sounds bassy, but that's mostly midrange mid-bass.

Happy T-day, everyone!

I don't think this is an MFSL pressing, but I find it to be a very clean and detailed album. But my ears are no where near as educated as your's.

I thought this was funny and had to share, in a way I'm very blessed and then also not so much...Haha.

Yesterday the wife and I were discussing our whole TV, Cable Situation and what set's we liked, did'nt like etc. I mentioned that I was probably going to to move the Ren 90's back into the living room and hook the sub back up.

She turned her head so fast and gave me that "Look" ! You married guy's know exactly what I'm talking about here :hug: !

I said, OK, OK sheeesh babe, I guess not LOL.

That's funny right there!

good think i'm long divorced, the many changes I've made to the main room in the last week alone would have her pulling my hair out! lol...

Hello everyone! I have been lurking on this website for a long time and you all are one of the reasons I have invested so much time and effort in acquiring my Infinity Kappas! :music:

I love the "vintage" Infinities made by Arnie, especially the Kappas.

I have a question for you Kappa 8.1 owners, do you listen to music on them solely or do you use them for home theater duty? How far apart do you have the speakers set up? I'm in a fairly small apartment now but will be in a house in some months so that I can spread these beasts out! I think that was one of the reasons they added the port to make them appeal more to a changing audio crowd in the mid 90s.

Thanks in advance

Mine are about 7 feet apart and probably 90% Tv and Movie duty, 10% Music. They do both very well IMHO.

I have the 9.1 and they are about 9' apart (due to a projection screen between them). With a well setup room and correct speaker replacement, they sound awesome. I can throw anything at the Kappas. Jazz, Classical, Rock, Heavy Metal, Pop, R&B (they don't care what it is). Setting up room acoustics correctly is something many people don't do, or take for granted. But it should be at the top as far as importance. Many of the complaints I read about with any speaker is often alleviated with the correct setup (placement, absorption, diffusion). I listen to music and watch movies as well (50-50%).

Last edited:
Fantastic thank you so much. I have a few more questions!

I have mine set apart about 6.5-6.75 feet due to the size constraints of the apartment. They should ideally be further apart? The room is only 10x14 at max, fairly small; it opens up into our kitchen so they're as far apart as they'll go with the TV and subwoofer in the corner. They are currently facing forward but I am unsure if I should toe them in or leave them be. They do sound very good, but as I am just getting in to audiophile stuff, I am unsure of what a REALLY good setup is supposed to sound like. As I have said, the room limitations are probably not helping me.

I have a 5.1 speaker setup with the Kappa video as my center and Kappa 7.1 as my rear surrounds along with a brand new SVS subwoofer I bought to complement the low end. Does anyone have any experience with the Kappa video? It's fairly small compared to some center channels I've seen, but it's obviously a good match for the Kappa towers. I have recently started bitstreaming my audio from a HT PC to play lossless audio for Blurays, so I am giving the center channel a workout.

The only way to tell (as every room is different) is to move the speakers a little at a time (an inch or two), sit and listen (always keeping them equal distances from the rear and side walls <<< important). Try using the same music material and concentrating on the sound stage, bass response, etc.., is the singer's voice in the middle? When you move the speakers this way or that, does it become clearer /more defined (the soundstage)? Is the bass tight? does it get tighter moved here or there, etc... I am not as familiar with the 8.1 (having only heard them some in my brothers store), but I know with the 9.1, if the midbass and bass is not hitting me in the chest and tight, I do not have good placement. I am sure it is about the same with the 8.1.

I have my speakers towed in a bit as it does better with the sound stage in my case. Most sound engineers say the distance between two speakers should be a little less than the distance from you to the speakers. Forming a triangle more or less. Other things in the room also hamper some people from getting that optimal spot..

Fantastic thank you so much. I have a few more questions!

I have mine set apart about 6.5-6.75 feet due to the size constraints of the apartment. They should ideally be further apart? The room is only 10x14 at max, fairly small; it opens up into our kitchen so they're as far apart as they'll go with the TV and subwoofer in the corner. They are currently facing forward but I am unsure if I should toe them in or leave them be. They do sound very good, but as I am just getting in to audiophile stuff, I am unsure of what a REALLY good setup is supposed to sound like. As I have said, the room limitations are probably not helping me.

I have a 5.1 speaker setup with the Kappa video as my center and Kappa 7.1 as my rear surrounds along with a brand new SVS subwoofer I bought to complement the low end. Does anyone have any experience with the Kappa video? It's fairly small compared to some center channels I've seen, but it's obviously a good match for the Kappa towers. I have recently started bitstreaming my audio from a HT PC to play lossless audio for Blurays, so I am giving the center channel a workout.

My opinion is you'd get better sound quality using the exact same speaker for the center that you did for the R and L Mains.
to my ears, the kappa series center channels all sound very 'boxy' and distinctly different from the kappas that were driving Left and Right mains (7.1 at the time)
Any of the smaller kappas( 6.1, 5.1) turned on their side do excellent duty as center channel speakers.
Of course, that isn't always a practical choice, so imo, the kappa series center channels were good (Love the Emit)

Hello everyone! I have been lurking on this website for a long time and you all are one of the reasons I have invested so much time and effort in acquiring my Infinity Kappas! :music:

I love the "vintage" Infinities made by Arnie, especially the Kappas.

I have a question for you Kappa 8.1 owners, do you listen to music on them solely or do you use them for home theater duty? How far apart do you have the speakers set up? I'm in a fairly small apartment now but will be in a house in some months so that I can spread these beasts out! I think that was one of the reasons they added the port to make them appeal more to a changing audio crowd in the mid 90s.

Thanks in advance

Mine are set about 6 feet apart. Only use mine for music. I share a wall with someone so I don’t get to crank them as much as I would like. I have the Kappa center channel buying it thinking it would replace the matching one to my theater speakers. I didn’t know the power requirements so my receiver wasn’t up to the task. Lol that was 3 years ago. Don’t forget to post pics when u can.

One thing I've noticed at least in my place is the 8.1 does'nt seem to be as picky about placement to throw a nice soundstage. Mine are toe'd in maybe an inch and almost againt the wall and they sound great.

I'm comparing it to the Ren 90 placed the same way. When we fixed Jazzman's 90's and they were way out againt the backwall, Holy Heck what a difference. Just Amazing how good they can be when allowed to breath if that's the correct term.

@jazzmans, wouldn't turning a 6.1 on its side mess up the sound dispersion as they are tower speakers? I actually have a pair of 6.1s back at the folks house that I don't have room to set up right now... :)

I just started using HD audio with surround sound on these things and I am not yet used to most of the movie dialogue and such coming solely from the center channel, and the remaining action and such coming from the other speakers.

I think I am going to toe the speakers in just a hair and see what it does for me on the sound. I have way too much "speaker" in this small apartment. I actually rattled the upstairs neighbor's picture off its mount. Oops.

@Bahamayellow, would love to add a picture or two to show you all what the setup looks like! What is the best way to do that?

@jazzmans, wouldn't turning a 6.1 on its side mess up the sound dispersion as they are tower speakers? I actually have a pair of 6.1s back at the folks house that I don't have room to set up right now... :)

I just started using HD audio with surround sound on these things and I am not yet used to most of the movie dialogue and such coming solely from the center channel, and the remaining action and such coming from the other speakers.

I think I am going to toe the speakers in just a hair and see what it does for me on the sound. I have way too much "speaker" in this small apartment. I actually rattled the upstairs neighbor's picture off its mount. Oops.

@Bahamayellow, would love to add a picture or two to show you all what the setup looks like! What is the best way to do that?

Hi Kappa easiest way to post a pic is if I have a tablet or phone using the upload file button bellow.

In my opinion, every room/listening space has it's own requirements for reaching a balanced sound signature. The reflection and absorption must be right in order to reach a balance in that space. Small rooms generally require less sound pressure, especially in the lows, to sound clear and balanced. When you have too much volume in a small room, you get saturation and distortion.

Larger speakers require larger spaces because they sound better when given more watts. A larger room needs more volume in order to reach balance.

Of course, a lot of this is a matter of personal taste. I used to know a guy who I worked with, that invited me over to his house to hear his amazing sound system. His system was composed of a high powered receiver and four huge Cerwin Vega speakers, each with 15 inch woofers. These monster speakers were located in a smallish room, a speaker in each corner. I remember that he put on some Rush at incredible volumes. The resulting saturation and distortion left me speechless. I could not make out the words in Geddy Lee's vocals. To my ears, it was horrible. Not to him though. After a couple of songs, he turned it down and said to me, "sounds great doesn't it". I said, "yep, truly amazing sound". That's the way he liked it and I wasn't about to tell him otherwise.

Sorry for the delay on uploading pictures! It's Christmas time and I've been busy. Excuse the junk near the speakers.. :)

My fronts are 8.1 with a Kappa video center and my rears are 7.1. I also have another set of 8.1 and a set of 6.1 which are not hooked up. Not enough room for that at this point.
IMG_20171219_145220901.jpg IMG_20171219_145229856.jpg
Any thoughts on the distance of the speakers or toeing them in would be greatly appreciated!

I can't help with placement, but the old saying "run whatcha brung" comes to mind. You and uvafan, make me want to crank up some AC/DC this morning !

Bet you can guess which song :rockon:

I'd sure like to do my 90's in black, had thoughts of pulling all the drivers and having them professionally done in a gun metal grey too.

And Thanks for sharing, they look awesome !

Sorry for the delay on uploading pictures! It's Christmas time and I've been busy. Excuse the junk near the speakers.. :)

My fronts are 8.1 with a Kappa video center and my rears are 7.1. I also have another set of 8.1 and a set of 6.1 which are not hooked up. Not enough room for that at this point.
View attachment 1069255 View attachment 1069257
Any thoughts on the distance of the speakers or toeing them in would be greatly appreciated!

Nice setup thanks for sharing

I really like the speakers, they handle whatever I throw at them! I think I'm going to stop by a professional setup sometime soon and see what their music sounds like to help tune my speakers. I have my pots on the speakers set to the middle point for the EMIT and polydome. Does anyone have any input on how they tuned these to their room?

@Bahamayellow you're welcome, I feel like these are rare speakers these days so I like sharing them with people who care about this kind of thing. I think I'll have these speakers for the rest of my life, and I'm a young man! :music:

I did actually find some info here on this site about helping the polydomes keep their original shape and I acquired some Meguiars #40 to condition them. They are milky yellow but are very much supple. I hope with the application of this stuff I will really notice a difference; any tips for taking the driver apart? I would love to post before and after pics but I don't want to damage the dome itself!

Back
Top Bottom