Infinity Newbie recomendations/ QE

JDN1

I got my first pair of Infinity Speakers, the QE. I love the clarity of the EMT tweeters but they really lack low end in the woofers, my sub can help fill in the real low end a bit but it's still severely lacking in lower mids. I'd love some recommendations on some other infinitys that have the clarity of the QE, but better lows. I mainly like 2 way speakers, some 3 way midsized, but not big tower speakers.

On the bigger side but listed as "bookshelf" (they are stand speakers and not tower or floor standers) speakers back when new, Qb and Reference Studio Monitor, both 3 ways with EMITs.

I'd recommend the Qb, Qjr., Q5, Q4, RSb, RSM, or RS 1.5. All will give much more bass than the Qe, the Qb was a very popular speaker so there's many out there...

I wonder if the infinitesimal series might fit your needs. Like the original. With your sub that might be nice.

I agree with chef free especially the q4, q5, and rs1.5. If you have a stout amp there will be no need for a sub woofer.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the RS-5B's on CL, they were restored and in amazing condition, i can't imagine finding a nicer pair. All I can say is wow. These are totally different than I expected, not better or worse per say, I just expected them to be a bit more like the QE's since they share the same tweeter, but these are a whole different animal!! I love the controls on the back or tweeter and mid level (that was a huge motivating factor as i wish i could turn QE tweeter down a tad). These have more of a huge 3 way sound where the QE's had more clarity, but lacked the massive lows. A nice compliment really.

I looked for a long long time, for a pair of 5b's. and never found a complete pair, I bought the parts and cobbled together my set.
They are used daily.
for a sweet sounding Infinity 3 way, they don't take up much room, and while not hard to drive, they will sound their best with some power to them.:music:
One other oddity I have found w/ them, they don't seem to like tubes. Whenever I run a tube amp into them, the sound is just "off".
But stuning w/ solid state. Maybe mine need to be re-capped? something to look at on a rainey day.:thumbsup:

my two cents, ENJOY. Stu

how rare are the 5b's? I was looking on ebay and reverb and there seem to be barely any bought and sold, i was trying to access price for negotiating. They seem rarer than I thought.

I have the RS 6001 with the two woofers, EMITs, poly dome mids and controls at the rear. Amazing speakers, I think they're very similar to the 5b in terms of driver load.

I just landed a set of 5b's about an hour ago, in decent shape, but I need to go over them some before making my opinion. clean pots, I know nothing about ribbon tweets, but price was fair..:) Great bass too!

Back
Top Bottom