Infinity RS 2b Monster Cable colours to which tweeters.

I drive the QLS with a McIntosh MC7200. It is a wonderful amp, very nice clean power, stable to 1ohm. it's one of their non autoformer amplifiers. I also have the Quantum 2, drive it with an Adcom GFA 5500.

If you want to rewire the woofer section of the 2b it's pretty simple. The Schematic is easy to follow and the components, if they are still there, are marked. The other owner most likely just left the coil, cap and resistor there. And if you would get jammed up there would be plenty of help from this forum.

Are you building a set or modding some 1b's? I would love to find a pair some day.

I drive the QLS with a McIntosh MC7200. It is a wonderful amp, very nice clean power, stable to 1ohm. it's one of their non autoformer amplifiers. I also have the Quantum 2, drive it with an Adcom GFA 5500.

If you want to rewire the woofer section of the 2b it's pretty simple. The Schematic is easy to follow and the components, if they are still there, are marked. The other owner most likely just left the coil, cap and resistor there. And if you would get jammed up there would be plenty of help from this forum.

Are you building a set or modding some 1b's? I would love to find a pair some day.

Hi, Ed here again with the 2b. I messed up trying to answer you but finally figured out how to get back to your post. I have several amplifiers but generally run my Macs also. The RS 1a(correction, I've always been used to saying 1b) is a project which will greatly differ from the originals. I got the woofer collumns intact with all twelve drivers and cabinets in excellant shape. It came with a 1b active feedback servo crossover and naked wings. Wings are also in excellant condition and they all came with their black bases but no passives or boxes on the wing base. About 14 years ago from the Carver distribution center in Ontario Canada I bought my Carver C19 Reference Vacuum pre-amp, a PT2400 amp, and they had a brand new pair of 48" planar mid/tweeters(the latest version with the pleated/corrogated foil) in a wooden casket never installed or even removed from the box so I bought them too. I''ve only had the box open twice. Once 14yrs ago when they first arrived just to check the condition(new!!!) and impeadance, and just recently since I'm aquiring a pair of new/unused Magnepan foil ribbon tweeters (40" for Maggie 2.5 I believe) which may work well in the wings next to the 48's. There is just enough room to do this properly. I may change the bases and possibly make caps for the wings just to make them more ridged and keep the 4 peices the same height. The servo feedback is being serviced right now but I was told I won't get it back until mid/late Feb because his real job is electronic & electrical engineer. That tech may help with a 2/way passive for the wings but nobody really wants to attack trying to blend the Carver with the Mag. I might just get the Amazing Loudspeaker 3 crossovers made and would have to tri-amp with a electronic 2/way with adjustable slopes, built in parametric and RTL. The Carvers have notches at around 6200hz and 12000hz(12500?) so rolling in the tweets at the higher notch should work well. You could also remove the elect.EQ from the mix entirely and just run the 48's alone. The ALS3+ I had were fairly impressive really and just had the one driver for top end although the bass could have been improved a little but was still plentiful. Back to what you said about the 2b, I have stared in them long enough to think I can hook the bass back up. Just don't want to let any smoke leak out of them or I'll have to get them re-charged.

Whoa, that sounds like a cool project. My brother had the Magnepan 2.6 with that tweeter. He had to get new ribbons from time to time as they seemed kind of fragile. Especially after a few beers...

The 2b woofer section is like 3 wires. One is a wire with clips on each end which goes from the top woofer neg. to the bottom woofer positive. Then you have a solid red wire which goes to the top woofer positive. Solid black clips to the bottom woofer negative. Here's an old pic of mine, the bottom of the cabinet is to the right.IMG_0729.JPG

Whoa, that sounds like a cool project. My brother had the Magnepan 2.6 with that tweeter. He had to get new ribbons from time to time as they seemed kind of fragile. Especially after a few beers...

The 2b woofer section is like 3 wires. One is a wire with clips on each end which goes from the top woofer neg. to the bottom woofer positive. Then you have a solid red wire which goes to the top woofer positive. Solid black clips to the bottom woofer negative. Here's an old pic of mine, the bottom of the cabinet is to the right.View attachment 1090354
Right on! That's great. Any visual assistance works best for me. Yes that tweeter is supposed to be spectacular. Goes up over 40000hz too. That issue of changing the foils on occasion was one reason I want to do the AL3 crossover(beside the difficulty of designing a passive 2/way considering different impeadance and lobeing etc. etc.) and just roll it off at around 12-12500hz with an EQ. If you let the smoke leak out of the foil you can still run the 48" from 175-20000hz without the Maggies while you do the repair. The 48" starts to roll off at around 14000hz on a long gradual slope. Thanks for the picture.

Hey Ed, I picked up another set a Maggies, there in Olds AB, off on another road trip. lol

Hey Ed, I picked up another set a Maggies, there in Olds AB, off on another road trip. lol
That sounds like fun AL! Which model? I never been one to play with texticles, waste book, twitch, twitter, blog, blither, e-mail or the likes but this is kinda cool. Some nice people here and beats reading for hours to find my answer from a previously asked question. When are you going? I'll be at Terrys Friday night if he's there. Want to bring him his bass drivers for the Reference Standard Studio Monitors.

My IIb's have the original Monster wiring. To see how the tweeters are connected, both the blank panel and the tweeter on the back of the speaker will have to be removed. I will try to get some photos tomorrow and post them.
Thank you again. I have finally made time to drag the 2b into the house. I am running a MC2500 on top and a MC2600 on bottom. They were unpacked already otherwise I would have used 2- 2600's. Funny thing. Although I used the 4ohm taps on both amps, because the 2600 was already wired that way for the 4b, I found it really strange that the 2500 could go into power guard and the fan would turn on medium in the 2600. They sound absolutely fantastic but thought that to be strange because the RS9 Kappa at nearly run and hide levels with one 2600 alone on the 4ohm taps would only put the fan on low. You have to get down on one knee and put your ear on the amp to hear it. K9's run better on the 2ohm taps and I guess I'll try that with the 2b but didn't expect that. The level we're listening to the 2b you can still carry on a conversation without shouting. Nothing seems hot or out of the ordinary. Any one else running 2b with Macs?

I've run my 2bs with my many different amps including my MC7200. never lit the power guard ights. Don't think I could stand it any louder. Also used an Odyssey Stratos which is 150wrm at 8ohm. Never any issue or clipping. Compared to the RSII, QLS1 and 2 I also own the IIb are pretty easy to drive. Compared to the Kappa9 they should be a walk in the park. Come to think of it my old Sansui AU9500 had no trouble with the IIb either :idea:.

Last edited:
I know what you're saying. I'm sure if I drop these to the 1ohm taps(2500) and 2ohm taps(2600) I could light them on fire. I was just startled that they would just take this much power. I know these produce such a CLEAN image that it can be hard to tell how loud they are but it's really not loud. Everything sounds great. I guess one point to make is that the best I did in my home was with my house where we tapped into the stove outlet next to the living room where we had 4-20amp circuits split off the 240V. Never had an issue EVER. This living room, all the 120v plugs come off of one 15A breaker abt. 60' from the panel and I think we are starving!

I've run my 2bs with my many different amps including my MC7200. never lit the power guard ights. Don't think I could stand it any loader. Also used an Odyssey Stratos which is 150wrm at 8ohm. Never any issue or clipping. Compared to the RSII, QLS1 and 2 I also own the IIb are pretty easy to drive. Compared to the Kappa9 they should be a walk in the park. Come to think of it my old Sansui AU9500 had no trouble with the IIb either :idea:.
Oh yah. The 1b's were on 2500(bass) and 2-2200's bridged on planars in that 4x20amp set up. Truely amazing.

I've run my 2bs with my many different amps including my MC7200. never lit the power guard ights. Don't think I could stand it any louder. Also used an Odyssey Stratos which is 150wrm at 8ohm. Never any issue or clipping. Compared to the RSII, QLS1 and 2 I also own the IIb are pretty easy to drive. Compared to the Kappa9 they should be a walk in the park. Come to think of it my old Sansui AU9500 had no trouble with the IIb either :idea:.
After being told by my wife before to not ever let the K9's go, she now wants to keep the 2b's instead. Unfortunately pretty much EVERYTHING is going.

The IIb are very special, doing pretty much everything very well and looking good doing it. I have 7 pairs of the big Infinities and to only keep one pair it would either be the IIb or QLS1. Never owned the Kappa9 and imagine I would have a very hard time letting them go. Obviously I have trouble of letting gear go. Not having money for it years ago and now having a little more $ and more nice used gear available makes it tough...

Back
Top Bottom