Infinity RS-3001 Rebuild-worth the $$$ ??

Chevelle70

I picked up a set of Infinitys for free that needed re-foamed however it appears the speaker may be blown as its making a crunch type noise when pressing in center of speaker at times-not all the time but occasionally. I'm assuming they need replaced. Is it worth the $$ to replace or should I just start looking for a nice replacement? I'm wanting a very nice set of speakers for my garage/shop. Thanks !

You know the saying- "Any free Infinity is good Infinity". And if it's not a saying it should be!

As for the the crunching you hear when you press on them, I wouldn't worry too much about that. A woofer needs the spider and surrounds fully intact to keep the voice coil aligned. Most likely a re-foam will fix it. If you don't like them you could flip them for a few bucks and keep searching.

I love Infinities, but I doubt anyone would call the RS-3001 a "very nice" speaker. It's closer to the bottom of the range than the top. Although "very nice" is relative, and they'd be fine for a garage/shop setup.

I agree that a quality re-foam job will likely fix the crunching. No new woofers needed. That's usually just the sound of the woofer rubbing on the voice coil. When you refoam them, it will realign the woofer around the voice coil.

All fixed up and refoamed they're probably worth about $50 so take that into consideration when deciding how much work to put into them.

Viking Funeral..... For the price of the refoam and a bit of patience (relative I know) better opportunities will pop up.

If you do a search on this website you'll find that a lot of people like these speakers. It should only cost about $20-25 for a refoam kit, so he could easily make double what he puts into them if he doesn't like them.

I'm always the optimist I guess, but I would gladly take a whack at these if they were mine.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm just getting my feet wet with audio stuff. Never refoamed a speaker in my life but finished these up with just a little cleaning around the frame. Fairly easy to do and they sound fairly good, but not nearly what I'm looking for. Like mentioned I think they will be very nice in my shop. Next project is to find some quality speakers for listening to old vinyl and occasional play list stuff in my basement!

Asking if it's worth the $$$ to fix makes this a value-based question for the Dollars & Sense section of this forum. If you just want to know if they'll sound good enough, then yes. 80% of the Infinity line-up sounds good, even most of the polycell tweeter models.

There was a thread in the Infinity forum about swapping an EmitK tweeter into these (actually RS-3000) and that mod supposedly takes these speakers up a notch or two.

That and adding some extra interal bracing for the cabinets is said to help these RS series speakers a bunch as well.

I'll see if I can dig up a link to that thread...

FWIW ~ HTH

Bret P.

Last edited:
No problem,glad to help.
There's is'nt a ton of difference between the RS-3000 & RS-3001 so most all of that is is still largely relevant.
IIRC the difference is mostly just a change in woofer material (clear poly vs. IMG) and some slight changes in the cabs and such.

I've kept this in the back of my mind as I'd like to have some nice little bookshelf companions for my floorstanding RS-5001 that come with the EmitK as their OE tweeters.

FWIW

Bret P,

If you do enough thrifting, you'll come across a lot of spare emit tweeters. I have maybe 6 pairs stocked up?

I'm dumping money into refoaming a pair of 2001's and 4001's right now so I am probably not the right person to ask. To me, I find the process of working on a speaker to bring it back to like relaxing. I can then enjoy it for a while and then pass it along.

Last edited:
Yeah I need to learn more about specs and such-putting in tweeters wouldn't be bad. These so sound a little muddy on top end. Would like a little punchier base but that could be the receiver too.

I’ll takr sbpsir ofvthose teeetetdthat you have 6! Of. Let me know
Bying and sailing is not a loud in opun 4ums.*
You neeed ttwo pay $25 too subscribe to BarterTown to due that.

*pretty sure he wants to buy some of Janiks EMITs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom