Infinity Studio Monitors 150

Eilati

Anybody ever heard of these? I looked on the internet and found nothing.
I just carried them up 3 flights of stairs, oof!!
Let me know what they are worth? After I hear, I'll let you know what I paid.
Here is a pic that the seller sent me, they look just the same in person, so to speaker!!!! LOL

Ok, so a comdedian I am not:D :D :D

INFINITY
SPK, SM-150 3-WAY

Description: STUDIO MONITOR, 15" WOOFER, (2)4.5" MIDS, 1" TWEETER

Manufacture Years: 1986 - 1989

Additional Information:
Power: 300

Click here for a definition of Bluebook prices.
Retail
MSRP: $550.00
USED: $150.00
Wholesale
Mint: $85.00
Average: $50.00

Infinity Studio Monitor 150

These are mint. No scratches on the cabinets and the covers are clean. Enough wax on them to add 5 lbs to the weight.
Cost me, delivered to my apartment_____________________
$25.00
Finally got a deal:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Listening to Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms, and do they sound good. Can't wait to get the Thorens, and the Sansui AU-999.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Eilati

You can take that book value with a huge grain of salt. If their mint I'd put their value at between $250-$300.

Mike

If they sound good to you, that is what matters. The SM series is not one of Infinity's finer moments. Made for the mass marketers like Best Buy, etc.

I had a pair of SM-125's back in the day and man could they rock out!!! Cops showed up at my doorstep the first night I had them ;)

The SM models have already been discussed before on this site, perhaps you can search the Archived messages.

Infinity made MUCH better hi-end speaker models. Or even the Q models which are great. But you wont see much mention of SM models on sites like www.bobbyshred.com/infinity.html

The SM models have large woofers and theyre very efficient- so they can be played LOUD w/o requiring a huge amount of amplifier power. If you like to throw parties and blast music, theyre suitable for that. If you aspire to hear music in a manner thats considered "high fidelity", it wont really happen with the SM's. Infinity built other speaker models for that purpose.

Yes, the 15" woofers put out alot of bass. But, its unmusical boomy, flabby, one-note sounding bass. Not tight bass which is the desired quality. There is also not much of a Sounstage/Imaging presentation. They sound "Wow!" at first but their shorttcomings soon become apparent to the ears. And it should be noted that the SM's use the polycell "eyeball" tweeters, and not the much better EMIT's.

If you can get the SM's for very cheap and you happen to like them and their sound, well thats fine, youre the one who should decide for yourself if theyre your cup of tea or not. I'm just letting you know what their basic reputation is. An alternative, if you want strong sounding bass, is to check some of the Infinity Kappa or RS models.

B/F

Infinity SM

Yes, I realize that these are mass market speakers, but for $25.00, I didn't expect more. They are better than headphones.
I will buy a better pair when I can afford them. I personally like
KEF, had a pair for 15 years. I will continue to search for better as I see things.
I used to have a pair of Infinity RS 6001 w/the emitters, can I use them with this cabinet? What can do to make them sound better other than throwing them out the window.
BTW, thanks for the honest answers, I appreciate candid reply's not what I may want to hear.

Last edited:
Sorry Beatle for bugging you repeatedly in the past about these Infinity SM's - I finally learned about them and committed it to memory! I was going to post something almost identical to what you said, but you beat me to it!

Always happy to learn something ...

Thats quite alright, Grasshopper. Yes indeed, SM definitely does not stand for Sounds Marvelous :)

So, what speakers are you listening to now?

B/F :king:

Haha I agree BF ... well the Infinity Column II's are at my parent's home (they run through an 850 bought new at the same time; that system, alas, is not mine) ... here at the dorm, I am running HPM-60s (free from the unbelievably generous Retro Stereo - I still need to do a formal post on that great story) with a custom sub (PE plate amp/85L I think/Shiva Mark IV) built with some help from here. The sub is not used for serious listening; just for those times when a bunch of people are over and the music is electronic in nature. ;)

I love the HPM's sound for the solo piano I listen to most of the time; I am told (and agree) these speaker are especially good with classical music.

Please let us know how well they mate with the AU-999. I have one and it mates great with some speakers, but not so well with others.

Back
Top Bottom