Infinity's State of the Art Speakers

Was the Servo Statik (1A?) actually available through '77? In the mid 70s, before the EMIT, the Walsh tweeter seemed to be the direction they were heading, but according to Infinity Classics, only a couple of models seem to have used that design: the WTLC and the 2000AXT.

Was the Servo Statik (1A?) actually available through '77? In the mid 70s, before the EMIT, the Walsh tweeter seemed to be the direction they were heading, but according to Infinity Classics, only a couple of models seem to have used that design: the WTLC and the 2000AXT.
The Servo Statik and the 2000A used electrostatic elements (which along with the required high voltage power supply) were not very reliable. Infinity started looking around for alternative tweeters, and they tried both the Walsh and the ESS folded ribbon (though I don't remember if any speakers were actually released with the ESS driver). But neither of these solutions were considered adequate for a state-of-the-art speaker like we are discussing in this thread. The search for a better driver went on until they invented the EMIT and then the EMIM. But I am fairly certain that you could buy a SS1A until 1977.

That has me wondering; could the RS2A or B EQ be used with a pair of RSII's? Are the woofers similar enough? And did the EQ box just affect the bass, as I don't know if it was designed specifically for Emim's too?

The EQ was just designed to work with the RSIIa/b crossover. It is unique to all their other separate oxs and eqs. The bass gain knob controlled the bass below 100hz the contour overall bass below 1000hz. without it the bass on the rsIIb falls on its face around 50hz in my room. you can use a regular eq for this but the original works far better. They will dig a little deeper than the rsII at 29hz. The RSIIb bass is superior to the RSII imho but have and love both models. In many ways the RSIIb is the best speaker I ever heard but the rsII and qls are more forgiving to poor quality recordings and sources.

Last edited:
The EQ was just designed to work with the RSIIa/b crossover. It is unique to all their other separate oxs and eqs. The bass gain knob controlled the bass below 100hz the contour overall bass below 1000hz. without it the bass on the rsIIb falls on its face around 50hz in my room. you can use a regular eq for this but the original works far better. They will dig a little deeper than the rsII at 29hz. The RSIIb bass is superior to the RSII imho but have and love both models. In many ways the RSIIb is the best speaker I ever heard but the rsII and qls are more forgiving to poor quality recordings and sources.

In your opinion, do you believe the RSIIb is worth double the price of the RSII? That's what they seem to be fetching (or rather, asking) on today's used market.

In your opinion, do you believe the RSIIb is worth double the price of the RSII? That's what they seem to be fetching (or rather, asking) on today's used market.
Haven’t seen a pair actually sell in a while publicly. They were almost twice the price when new though. At premium price they must have the eq and be perfect. The RSII is a bargain for what they go for, are bullet proof with no eq needed and easier to find.

Haven’t seen a pair actually sell in a while publicly. They were almost twice the price when new though. At premium price they must have the eq and be perfect. The RSII is a bargain for what they go for, are bullet proof with no eq needed and easier to find.

My thoughts exactly. I recently heard a pair of RSII and fell in love. I decided right then and there they would be on my short list. Wondering if it would be worth holding out for RSIIb. I think I'll jump on whatever comes up.

I picked up my RS1s for $1,700 which thought was a pretty good deal, but my brother found an almost perfect pair of RS2a speakers for $500, and then found a mint example of the missing equalizer for $200. Now, THAT’S a deal.

Note: my RS1s were far from perfect.

How long ago was this. Not many deals I’ve seen lately and I don’t miss seeing much at least in the north east. I have QLS1,2,3,4,RSII,IIb,2.5 and they all were in various states of condition and far below most prices you see. Best deal was the qls2 for $175.00. You can find deals you just have to look everyday, be ready to make a drive, pounch with cash, no bs and be nice to the seller. Works almost every time...
I picked up my RS1s for $1,700 which thought was a pretty good deal, but my brother found an almost perfect pair of RS2a speakers for $500, and then found a mint example of the missing equalizer for $200. Now, THAT’S a deal.

I see Paul, you are in CA. I’m sure you can find nice deals if you are diligent.

Last edited:
I got my epsilons for $1,200.00 a few years ago and they are in as mint condition as one could ever ask for, not a scratch on them and all drivers are perfect and look new, I'm also in the north east, I don't think I will ever find another deal like that again, you just have to be in the right place at the right time I guess, a little luck helps too.

My thoughts exactly. I recently heard a pair of RSII and fell in love. I decided right then and there they would be on my short list. Wondering if it would be worth holding out for RSIIb. I think I'll jump on whatever comes up.

Ummmm
there is/was a pair of RS II for sale in Mid Mich a few days ago...

There was a pair of RS-1B's on eBay, a few years back. It was early Sunday morning when I spotted them. They had a Buy It Now price of $800. I yelled to my wife that I was going to buy a pair of speakers, and she said "fine". I turned back to my laptop, clicked Buy, and they were gone. Sold in about 30 seconds. Now it's buy first, brag later...! :(

WOW...! I never knew you got your Epsilons that cheap! Wow. :yikes::D
I saw the ad and called the guy and said I will pay for them over the phone without seeing them but he said he'd rather me come down to look at them first, I made him promise me he'd hold them till I got to his house Lol
they were only about 20 minutes from my house and when I got there and looked them over I grabbed them, the guy just ordered new legacy speakers and just wanted to move them, he was happy that an Infinity guy was getting them and so was I.

There was a pair of RS-1B's on eBay, a few years back. It was early Sunday morning when I spotted them. They had a Buy It Now price of $800. I yelled to my wife that I was going to buy a pair of speakers, and she said "fine". I turned back to my laptop, clicked Buy, and they were gone. Sold in about 30 seconds. Now it's buy first, brag later...! :(
Man that sucks, I've done that a few times myself and learned to hit the buy it now as fast as you can and think later.

I saw the ad and called the guy and said I will pay for them over the phone without seeing them but he said he'd rather me come down to look at them first, I made him promise me he'd hold them till I got to his house Lol
they were only about 20 minutes from my house and when I got there and looked them over I grabbed them, the guy just ordered new legacy speakers and just wanted to move them, he was happy that an Infinity guy was getting them and so was I.

While I'd like to hear or own Legacy speakers, I wouldn't sell Epsilons to do it...! :crazy::eek:

Back
Top Bottom