Integrated Amp $300-$500

DAA

Options sought on an Integrated Amp with usable phono stage. Smaller room, but love good dynamics and clarity. Yamaha’s latest amps seem terrific. Driving upgraded Boston T830s with a Boston VR500 sub. Love my Sony TF F700ES, but having issues with pots lately that deoxit isn’t helping. :(

Don’t think I would need more than the Yamaha A S301, but curious if stepping up really makes a difference in audio vs just power.

Had a Sony...receiver purchased new (dead like every single piece of Sony gear Ive ever purchased new, a lot, zero exceptions)...
Yep. I just had to "ditto" this reply, ilusndweller. There is nothing like that empty feeling you get when you find yourself dumping the unit, remote, and manual into the garbage bin in the alley - which is what I did when I found myself with a $300 Sony STR/DN-series door stop. The local electronics repair shop stated it'd cost more to repair than replace and I didn't have the knowledge as to why I had to press the unit against a small piece of wood seated against the wall behind it so as to get sound from all 5.1 channels. I can't speak in regard to their "Elite" series, but I'd definitely advise one to forgo purchasing their $300 range receivers from big box retailers.

Yes, there’s a huge difference between the ES gear from the 80s-90s and consumer grade Sony. Agree.

I’m more interested in current Yamaha or maybe other value integrateds that people are using and feel offer great listening experience

I just recently picked up a new Marantz 6005. It retailed for $700 and was on sale at Music Direct for $460. The price was due to a damaged exterior box. The amp was double boxed and in perfect shape. I chose that over the Yamaha 301 due to "perceived" value of the discount off of the retail price. I don't think you can go wrong with either piece. the Marantz has a phono stage but I have not tried it yet. Good luck.

I would recommend yamaha. I have the as500 and it out performs a more expensive creek a50i that it replaced.
From what I've read onkyo are also quite good.

Thanks for all the replies. Well, I tore apart my Amp tonight and really cleaned the pots with Deoxit D5 and some Deoxit lube. Man, sounds beautiful. Hopefully it lasts!!! I have my eyes on a the Yamaha 301/501 integrates should I need to pull trigger

Back
Top Bottom