1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Integrated Amplifier Help

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Bordious, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Bordious

Bordious New Member

Aloha,
    I am in the market for an integrated amplifier and I recently bought a Marantz PM6006 on Amazon... two weeks ago and it still hasn’t shipped. At this point my buyers remorse is through the roof and I’m wondering if I should cancel my order. If I were to get some better suggestions, I would be more than happy to cancel my order. I’m looking for something with a Phono stage and DAC, USB would be a bonus. I’d like to stay under $800. Help me out, you are all always very helpful.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

Not knocking the Marantz, as a lot of folks like them, and they are well-reviewed, but IMO the new Yamaha integrateds are better--especially in the "bang for buck" dept. You can get an A-S501 any day of the week for ~$500-550, and it offers the features that you are looking for. 85 wpc, "classic" vintage styling with choice of silver or black faceplate, phono stage and built-in DAC. Optional blue-tooth adapter available as well. Its bigger brother, the A-S701 is 100 wpc, but the price jump to ~$800 makes it seem like much less of a "deal"--at least to me.

hellhound94 likes this.
  3. Beau Geste

Beau Geste Rione Traiano Subscriber

Best, imho, an AVR Yamaha with phono input ..

4. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I'd prefer this combo to integrateds in that price range, $598:

https://emotiva.com/product/pt-100/
    https://emotiva.com/product/a-150/

Caveat is no tape monitor outputs on preamp, so if that matters, it's a no-go. Sounds good, though. Takes about the same space as the integrated amps mentioned above. Maybe less.

Now if used and no remote were adequate, I'd forego all this and buy the Leesonic restored and upgraded NAD 3140, no question.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. mark warren

mark warren Music Lover!

Patience! Its the Holidays and the fact that you live on a Island ! ha ha ha ha...........:rflmao: If You wait I bet You will be glad you did....:rockon: :)

jrtrent likes this.
  6. johnda

johnda AK Subscriber Subscriber

I ordered a TECSUN PL-600 from Amazon and the dealer said it was “In stock”. Yeah it was in stock all right, at the Tecsun factory in China! The package tracking showed me an interesting voyage from the factory to Beijing then to the US customs center and finally across the US, but it got here OK.

Because it came from the factory I can be assured that it has the latest mods, so be patient. Of course there is nothing wrong with asking the sender what is going on.

jrtrent likes this.

7. musichal

OTOH, if you're a bit superstitious, like me, recalling other things in life that began poorly and proceeded to get worse, you could take that as a sign - a warning by the Fates - to switch gears. :)

hellhound94 likes this.
  8. jrtrent

jrtrent Super Member

Hmm, you may be right . . .

On the other hand, I can't think of a better choice than the Marantz. I've owned the PM5004 (I chose the lower model after audition because I preferred its tone control design; it did a better job correcting the chestiness of some old radio broadcasts I had purchased on MP3 format cd's), and a friend owns a PM6005 (I think, though possibly it's a PM6004) that I get to enjoy on a regular basis, and which does a great job with his B&W speakers. According to What HiFi, a review source I trust, the PM6006 is even better (link below). Both my friend and I were able to just go to a local store and buy our amps, so didn't have the anxiety-inducing delays the OP is facing.

https://www.whathifi.com/marantz/pm6006/review

9. musichal

I sold both Marantz and Yamaha when the former brand was resurrected into its current incarnation, and preferred Marantz by a skosh. I think OP chose well.

10. Bordious

Bordious New Member

Thanks everyone. I looked at both the Yamahas and the Emotiva combo, and ultimately ended up choosing the Marantz because I couldn’t find one negative piece of information about it anywhere. I thought about going the vintage route, but having a remote is a big plus for me. I should just be patient, I did a lot of reading before I hit click.

11. Hyfi

Hyfi Addicted Member

I just posted in another thread that Amazon shipping sucks anymore if you don't have Prime because they want your money now.

I ordered 2 power cables 2 weeks ago and they were both in stock and free shipping. They both said delivered between Jan 2-5 but as of last night, one had yet to be shipped so no way it would be here by Friday. I cancelled it and will order from Audio Advisor who actually ships when they say.

12. Bordious

Bordious New Member

I do have amazon prime which is one of the reasons I used it, along with having some gift cards. The only thing you get with Amazon Prime in Hawaii is the free shipping, shipping time is out the window. What gets me is how fast everything ships to the mainland from Prime. One of the small prices to pay for living in paradise...

13. StimpyWan

StimpyWan AK Subscriber Subscriber

This Yamaha A-S801 would be my choice. But, shipping to Haweila would put it just slightly out of budget. Though, A4L does offer Fed Ex Overnight. :idea:

Beau Geste likes this.
  14. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Another vote towards the Yamaha A-Sx01 series. If I were in the market I'd be saving up for at least the AS-1100
    Capture.JPG

15. RTally

RTally Speaker addict Subscriber

One thing to be aware of is that Amazon shipping information is misleading. In the old days (a year or so ago) Amazon would pull an item from a warehouse and deliver it to a shipper. The buyer was notified that the item had shipped and was out of Amazon's hands.

Now, Amazon pulls it from whichever warehouse stocks the items and Amazon ships it to a distribution center that is close to the buyer. Only after it reaches the distribution center does Amazon deliver it to the shipper and the buyer is informed that the item has shipped. I do not have Prime. I find that it takes just as long to receive ordered items under the new way as the old way. I often receive my items the next day or two after I receive notice that it shipped.