Integrated Tube Amp suggestions

kray

HE>i
I need some suggestions for an integrated tube amp.

Wants:
- Remote
- would like SET but UL is ok too
- can use a variety of tubes
- watts not too important since I'll be using them with high efficiency speakers
- around $600 new/used
- Chinese/american doesn't matter

Diy with PCB and can add a volume control, plus you can fix it and get parts! Plus you can pick the quality of the Output Transformers which define the final sonics of your tube amp!

George Anderson has a forum on diyaudio.com

http://tubelab.com/designs/

Pete Millet also has various PCB's & is on diyaudio etc.

http://pmillett.com/

There also full kits out there like Bottle Head & Elekit that some upgrade the output transformers on.

You can add remote volume to any of the above that can support a regular volume pot.

Last edited:
Highly recommend the Silk Audio MC-30L. It's an EL-34 based integrated amp with remote control. Ray (Ebay ID: OC123) from Chicagoland sells them through Ebay. Great seller, excellent communication, fast shipping (to me took 2 days).

Diy with PCB and can add a volume control, plus you can fix it and get parts! Plus you can pick the quality of the Output Transformers which define the final sonics of your tube amp!

George Anderson has a forum on diyaudio.com

http://tubelab.com/designs/

Pete Millet also has various PCB's & is on diyaudio etc.

http://pmillett.com/

There also full kits out there like Bottle Head & Elekit that some upgrade the output transformers on.

You can add remote volume to any of the above that can support a regular volume pot.
I built one of Tube Labs 300B SET amps. It would be easy to add a remote controlled volume control. If you wanted a few more watts his SSE amp using KT-88's is an option too.

Thanks for the recommends. The Silk looks pretty sweet.

I'm hesitate to go the DIY route, since i have never soldered a day in my life. I wouldn't mine learning, but don't know where to start...

I was thinking i'd want a remote since i wanted it to be my main audio source (including apple tv). If i had 2 different amps, i'd need 2 sets of speakers or change speaker cables when switching between the two. too much trouble and don't want to use any type of switcher, etc.

I watch tv/movies thru my main setup, but could care less about the sound, music comes first for me.

You won't be disappointed with the Silk MC-30L, weighs about 50 lbs, solid aluminum remote control. I have the Yaqin MC-30L which the Silk Audio amp is based off of. Sounds fantastic and rocks the house on my TOTL Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's. P.S. You can also run the amp in triode mode, 25 wpc, just push a button on the front, for an even purer sound.

I rolled in different tubes: Tesla, Winged C's, etc. but the stock Shugang EL-34B's sound the best to me. If you're eager to roll different tubes in it, my recommendation is to run it with the stock tubes for a few months to get a baseline. IMO, the stock tubes sound the best and are well voiced for the amp. Just plug in, play and enjoy!

My first tube amp was a Silk MC-30L. Nice to have a US source; I found it on Ebay and the transaction went very smoothly. It worked nicely with my Polk SDA SRS 2.3's. It originally came with 6J1 tubes and Shugang Blue-bottle 6CA7 power tubes. I immediately got some 6AK5's for the drivers and currently I am using JJ KT77 power tubes. When I knew I really liked tubes, I then built a Latino VTA ST120 amp. I find the MC-30L is very,very close to the wonderful Latino amp. And the remote control should prove to be dog-proof!

Soldering is easy with a nice setup just like welding can be easy with a little knowledge and the right gear. Just takes a little practice to solder very nicely with good solder also besides decent gear.

I own a musical paradise set amp. Love it. Tube rollers dream. Get some great tubes online and it will still be under $500. get a different set of tubes besides to make it into a different sounding amp. 6l6 and kt 88 are what i use. no remote tho.... it plays my speakers plenty loud at one third volume

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

Wow. That’s a lot of amp for the money! Tons of tube choices, single ended and 120v (as opposed to 110v) that would be great with a remote, at that price maybe i could do without.

If you can forego the remote, the Oldchen KT88-K3 is an amazing amp for not a lot of money. Both myself and dmsheehan are running one.

Might see if I can get a motorised volume pot and input selector installed one of these days..... Though if doing that I'd go all out and have auto-biasing installed too. It's an end game amp for me so definitely worth it.

LaoChen K3 KT88 Push-Pull Tube Amplifier HIFI EXQUIS AIQIN 45Wx2 Class A handmade Scaffolding amp OCK3 OldChen
http://s.aliexpress.com/A7vMVNRF?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

If you can forego the remote, the Oldchen KT88-K3 is an amazing amp for not a lot of money. Both myself and dmsheehan are running one.

Might see if I can get a motorised volume pot and input selector installed one of these days..... Though if doing that I'd go all out and have auto-biasing installed too. It's an end game amp for me so definitely worth it.

LaoChen K3 KT88 Push-Pull Tube Amplifier HIFI EXQUIS AIQIN 45Wx2 Class A handmade Scaffolding amp OCK3 OldChen
http://s.aliexpress.com/A7vMVNRF?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

Hmm. At $600+ I’d at least want external biasing, and on used market I’m betting I could find something similar with ext bias & remote. But great suggestion.

I've yet to find a brand new $649.00 integrated tube amp sold and serviced in the USA that has the power (50 wpc) and features (external bias, remote control, 4 line level inputs, headphone jack, soft start, Ultralinear and Triode mode) of the Yaqin MS-20L or Silk Audio MS38SE integrated, and believe me, I've looked everywhere for at least 7 years.

On another note, I'm hoping for the day when Yaqin starts making KT88 or KT150 monoblocks and a matching tube preamp! I can always dream right!

Last edited:
I've yet to find a brand new $649.00 integrated tube amp sold and serviced in the USA that has the power (50 wpc) and features (external bias, remote control, 4 line level inputs, headphone jack, soft start, Ultralinear and Triode mode) of the Yaqin MS-20L or Silk Audio MS38SE integrated, and believe me, I've looked everywhere for at least 7 years.

On another note, I'm hoping for the day when Yaqin starts making KT88 or KT150 monoblocks and a matching tube preamp! I can always dream right!

Doesn't have to be new. Did you not see anything used at that level USA made? ~$650

I'd love to buyback the amps i had (no remotes) TAD-60 and TA-30 both Pauls mods, but they are so view and far between to find. The Silk is definitely on my list

Doesn't have to be new. Did you not see anything used at that level USA made? ~$650

I'd love to buyback the amps i had (no remotes) TAD-60 and TA-30 both Pauls mods, but they are so view and far between to find. The Silk is definitely on my list

It's pretty rare to find a used Silk or Yaqin amp. Folks that buy them tend to hold on to them.

I think I'm heavily leaning towards the Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3. Even though no remote, I will separate my tv/movies onto it's own setup.

With all the tube rolling options it's going to be really fun for the price. Also will go really well with my new Zu Omen DW speakers when they arrive. So Thanks @veroman for the great suggestion.

You don't really need a remote for TV and movies. Even though my DAC has a remote that would allow me to do so I never actually use it.

You don't really need a remote for TV and movies. Even though my DAC has a remote that would allow me to do so I never actually use it.

True but I definitely want one for tv/movies. so I'm just going to mount a sound bar under my TV and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom