Interesting observations Shure Era IV Test Record

DavidTT

I bought a used test record because it was inexpensive and I thought it would be nice to learn more about my tonearm/cart combinations. Some observations:

1) If these Shure test records were produced largely to demonstrate the tracking capacity of their cartridges with dampeners, they do that with aplomb. I've run Nagaoka MP-110, Grado silver/silver2, Grado blue longhorn/silver1, Shure paradox pulse m97xe and Shure paradox pulse sc35c/N97HE through their paces and only the Shures make it through all of the tracks without breaking a sweat. Good God the flute tracks are non-dampened-Shure cart destroyers! The worst tracker was the Grado Silver/Silver2, which jumped right out of the groove during the toughest portions on the flute and harp tracks. Interestingly, the Grado longhorn distorted in these portions but never actually jumped out of the groove, FWIW.

2) The dampeners also make a profound difference on tonearm resonance. The MP-110 and both Grados bounced almost to the point of dislodging during the 10hz portion on the record, while the Shures with dampener down could be heard to warble a touch on the 10hz portion but motion was suppressed entirely throughout all of the test tones. I became a believer in those dampeners, and interestingly even the aftermarket craptastic dampener on the N97HE stylus provided the same positive effect in testing.

3) After having not used my paradox pulse m97xe in a while, I took this occasion to try it for a few records and it really sounds pretty great in my system, beyond the capacity to track anything. I tend to lump it in with the universe of $100-and-under carts, something good but meh, but when I play it these days I'm very pleasantly surprised at its sound, which reminds me that it's incredible that Shure offered such a technologically advanced and solid performing cart for $100.

I've been meaning to pick up one of these for awhile. Just have to find one is mint condition locally or for one of my trusted sellers. The main test record I use is the CBS-STR100 which is a lab grade test LP. However, I would buy some of these old Shure test LPs just for fun.

I'm not surprised the Grado was the worst tracker - they aren't known for great tracking and the undamped suspension design is just asking for trouble. A silicone damped tonearm would probably help but I would be surprised if it fixed things entirely or go the Grado to perform as well as other cartridges with a better suspension design.

Audio by Van Alstine Longhorns had silicone damping on the coils and cantilever suspension. A Grado also likes a willowy arm.

I should get that Era IV test record. I have the Era III which is much too easy to track. I have tested hundreds of styli for the GE VR 1000 cartridge. I had a few that I knew should not work properly and they sailed through the Era III test record. On music records, the same styli literally screamed with needletalk and distortion on female voices and wind instruments.

Sure, although the Grado sounds wonderful in actual day to day use. The tracks it fumbles on are the most extreme. The biggest take aways for me were how much the dampeners on the Shures impact performance. I came away impressed with them, which was much of the goal of Shure when they put these records out there I suppose.

If the arm is based on a Technics arm, it's not the best match for a Grado.

I have the Era III which was available with a V15 III purchase. At one gram force that same Type III still sails through the torture tracks. But most others, except for the 681EEE distort the high-modulation tracks. Certainly, the arm does have a lot to do with it as well. And does good tracking of over-modulated grooves have any correlation to fidelity?

I have the Era III which was available with a V15 III purchase. At one gram force that same Type III still sails through the torture tracks. But most others, except for the 681EEE distort the high-modulation tracks. Certainly, the arm does have a lot to do with it as well. And does good tracking of over-modulated grooves have any correlation to fidelity?

Yes and No. If you have records that are cut 'hot', you may hear distortion.

I’ve had the Era IV test record since I purchased my Type IV in ‘78. You can also use it to determine the resonant frequency of the arm/cart combo. Better, IMO, than relying on manufacturers specs and calculations.

I’ve had the Era IV test record since I purchased my Type IV in ‘78. You can also use it to determine the resonant frequency of the arm/cart combo. Better, IMO, than relying on manufacturers specs and calculations.

I guess the resonant frequency of some of the needles for the GE VR 1000 cartridge was about 165-255 Hz as they screamed on female vocals and wind instruments. LOL.

I guess the resonant frequency of some of the needles for the GE VR 1000 cartridge was about 165-255 Hz as they screamed on female vocals and wind instruments. LOL.
Those frequencies are where the arm started shaking?:eek: That's one stiff cart!

This thread got me curious about the resonant frequency of my SL-1200/Grado Gold2 combination. So I dragged out the old Era IV test record. (I had forgotten that my copy had a side one label on both sides. :rolleyes: ) Anyway, the resonant frequency of the combination was 10 hz with the stock headshell. As a testimony to the effectiveness of the KAB tonearm damper, the wiggle (or dance) was just barely visible and audible at 10 hz. The 4, 6, 8, and 12 hz test bands seemed to have no ill effect. Pretty good for a Grado in this arm. :)

This thread got me curious about the resonant frequency of my SL-1200/Grado Gold2 combination. So I dragged out the old Era IV test record. (I had forgotten that my copy had a side one label on both sides. :rolleyes: ) Anyway, the resonant frequency of the combination was 10 hz with the stock headshell. As a testimony to the effectiveness of the KAB tonearm damper, the wiggle (or dance) was just barely visible and audible at 10 hz. The 4, 6, 8, and 12 hz test bands seemed to have no ill effect. Pretty good for a Grado in this arm. :)

also indicative that the compliance of the cart is less than the advertised 20cu. doubting the SL-1200 arm is 10gr EM. would hazard a guess more in the 12-14gr EM

also indicative that the compliance of the cart is less than the advertised 20cu. doubting the SL-1200 arm is 10gr EM. would hazard a guess more in the 12-14gr EM
The tube is stuffed with cotton from Kevin doing the Cardas rewire and I have the nylon end stub, so maybe it’s a tad heavier than stock.

I've been meaning to pick up one of these for awhile. Just have to find one is mint condition locally or for one of my trusted sellers. The main test record I use is the CBS-STR100 which is a lab grade test LP. However, I would buy some of these old Shure test LPs just for fun.

I'm not surprised the Grado was the worst tracker - they aren't known for great tracking and the undamped suspension design is just asking for trouble. A silicone damped tonearm would probably help but I would be surprised if it fixed things entirely or go the Grado to perform as well as other cartridges with a better suspension design.

Shure serves the music listeners and record buyers. They don't wear records out. Nor mistrack. Nor have sibilance. Nothing else. They thrive on, and value engineering and design.

Back
Top Bottom