Interesting Vintage DIY Speakers

Snerp

I solder while you sleep...
I picked up some beat up speakers today. Got them for free, so I figured It'd be worth messing with them. Apparently the previous owner had a friend build the box and then had pacific audio build the x-overs and install the speakers.

The cabinets remind me of a 70s Infinity tower. That along with the rectangular dome is what caught my eye. The woofer cones are totally trashed. Cats are jerks.

The woofers are Eminence 12KPHM8G.

The round tweeters are Phillips A0 0160 T8, which were labeled "the world's worst dome tweeter" on one site I found.

The mid and the rectangular tweeter aren't marked.

So, am I looking at these as boxes for my own DIY project or is there something worth getting salvaged here? Kinda looks like this was a slap together on the part of pac audio. Probably charged the previous owner and arm and a leg as well.

Attachments

• 2017-03-24 16.43.04.jpg
    2017-03-24 16.43.04.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 2017-03-24 16.45.39.jpg
    2017-03-24 16.45.39.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 2017-03-24 16.46.39.jpg
    2017-03-24 16.46.39.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 2017-03-24 16.47.51.jpg
    2017-03-24 16.47.51.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 146
The unmarked "rectangular tweeter" is likely a Peerless. That's quality.

That's good news! They caught my eye. Any idea how I can ID them?

The little info I could on the woofers suggested they were decent. I'm not sure if the would be worth reconing though.

Any idea about those mids? They almost look like marine speakers with those cans like that.

I think I have a full set up for a set of advent towers just needing a box. Would putting the drivers in this cabinet work? I know dimensions make a difference.

The round tweeters are Phillips A0 0160 T8, which were labeled "the world's worst dome tweeter" on one site I found.

Interesting - they have these tweeters in some very common speakers that are sold in NZ - that feature all Philips drivers and with a bit of work on the xover, can be made to sound pretty excellent.

I always thought those tweeters were actually pretty good - a bit raspy but not bad otherwise.

Top- Philips tweeter as you say, personally I think they sound fine.

Lower tweeter- Peerless, not heard one but reputed to be very good

Mid- peerless, also very good quality, the 'can' behind it is to stop interference from the woofer

Not sure in the woofers though....

What you've read about those Phillips tweets is nonsense. I would just replace the woof in them and see what happens. Go from there.

GeedeeEmm

Cool. Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated. Any idea on what the model numbers would be for the peerless drivers?

Anyone have any suggestions for replacement woofers? I'd like to keep the price tag reasonable.

Also, should I look at replacing any xover components, or should I just roll with it the way it is?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom