1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Internet Radio Stations

Discussion in 'Streaming Services' started by Reel 2 Reel, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Reel 2 Reel

Reel 2 Reel Mad Dog Junkie

In todays world, with FM radio going to the dogs, many people are switching over to other alternatives for their music listening pleasure. Among those are Satellite radio such as Sirius and XM Which are good for listening to on the fly, and Internet Radio , which we all know comes in on a phone, or cable line into our homes via computer technology.

Satellite gives you the diversity of different stations that play different generes and styles, which are not present in the current FM broadcasts for large demographic areas. Satellite Radio is also very good for traveling long distances in a vehicle as well as short distances, like back and forth to work or even Grandmas house, and keep the same station. With FM, on long trips, you would find a good station only to have it fade out and dissapear after so many miles, and we all know how dissapointing that is. Satellite is there for the taking, as long as you pay your bill every month. Playing Satellite radio is still expensive. The cost of the service, Coupled along with the cost of the units to play it can add up.

With Internet radio there are many, many choises of different generes that FM radio, or even satellite radio, could never compete with in forms of diversity. It would be almost impossible for one person to try to find all the internet radio stations out there on the web.

I had a request for a new thread, for members old and new, to post their links and maybe a little review, or synopisis of their favorite internet radio stations to share with the memberage so they can listen to and enjoy them also.

Post your favorites here.... your responses are welcome also.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006

Please register to disable this ad.

2. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

Nice!

Radio Paradise Eclectic

Weird Energy Techno, Lounge, Trance (click far left alien for 128K)

Folk Alley Folk, Celtic(access through Shoutcast by searching folkalley & avoid registering)

Multiple Format Streams -

SOMA FM

MPEG Radio

Hundreds grouped by genre & bitrate @ Shoutcast

3. hpsenicka

hpsenicka Moderator Subscriber

Excellent Jazz content at WWW.JAZZ.FM.

Unfortunately the bit-rate of this stream is not very good... I think it is only 64kbps.

I have found less than 128kbps streaming to be disappointing as far as high fidelity audio is concerned.

A request... could posters to this thread please include the bitrate of the streams they are listing?

4. Celt

Celt Peanut Head Staff Member Super Mod

5. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard! Subscriber

6. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

7. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

I started listening to RFC before Christmas and for one week it seemed they went Pink Floyd 24/7.

I'll have to go back & give them a listen again.

8. clifselina

clifselina Active Member

THE internet radio station!!!
    Wolfgang's Vault

The Story.....
    Bill Graham and his concert promotion company, Bill Graham Presents, produced more than 35,000 concerts all over the world. His first venue, the legendary Fillmore Auditorium, was home to many of rock's greatest performers - Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Prince - and the list goes on and on.

Graham taped thousands of live performances and stored the tapes in the basement of the BGP headquarters. These tapes and the concerts they captured lay dormant until the Bill Graham archive was acquired by Wolfgang's Vault (Bill Graham's given first name was Wolfgang) in 2003.

Vault Radio is now playing selected tracks from these concerts in an FM-quality, 128K digital radio stream. Songs will be added to and removed from the radio show on a regular basis. We will be broadcasting unaltered live performance music from many of the greatest bands of the last 40 years. The music you hear on Vault Radio has not been sweetened or polished. You'll be listening to what the band played that night - nothing more, nothing less.

9. Whitehall

Whitehall Super Member

Sorry, but 128 kbps is seriously compressed. Consider that uncompressed Red Book CDs are 1.4 Mbps. One could convert the 20-15kHz FM bandwidth to something like 1 Mbps (assuming still 16 bit).

An 8 to 1 compression is still compression. One could do some lossless compression but I wouldn't expect to achieve 2:1 without degradation.

Is there any internet station with a 500 kbps to 1 Mbps signal?

10. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard! Subscriber

Pandora! You program your own station. You can set up several stations, each with a different genre. They play the first song, then suggest another and you tell it whether you like it or not. I't adaptive and learns what you like. And the audio quality is very good.
    http://www.pandora.com/

RDecartridge likes this.
  11. Mark W.

Mark W. Nut house of the Universe

WOW the three FM's I listen to here in Silverton Oregon out of Portland and Corvallis/Albany are awesome. But then I listen to "Classic Rock" the Portland station recently played 923 songs from a voters best of list and for a week+ not one single duplicate. In fact I listen to this station a lot and I would say with a few exceptions it takes at least 3-5 days before I here a repeat. With a signal that comes the 40 miles to my house at 4.75 on the meter the quality is very good.

(just to defend a favorite source)

12. nbourbaki

nbourbaki Active Member

I really like Pandora to discover artists that I'm unfamiliar with but:

Q: What bitrate is the music you play?

We play 128Kbps streams. Pandora requires a broadband Internet connection.

I would pay more for a subscription for a 256K or 320K stream.

13. The Modfather

The Modfather infinity-customs-audio

One of my favorite places to listen to music online is Pandora. http://www.pandora.com/ which more or less creates a radio station-like playlist from your tastes. You plug in an artist's name and it creates a playlist that fits that style of music. You can have multiple playlists in your account as well. For instance, if you go there and type in "Led Zeppelin" it will play artists like The Rolling Stones, Boston, Queen, etc etc. I think they also have a paid version of the site but I haven't gone that far.

I also have used Pirate Radio, if anyone's familiar with that, to run my own stations from time to time.

14. Fisherdude

Fisherdude Regular Dude - Super Mod Staff Member Super Mod

The radio station sounds incredible! I'll have to give it a try.

That "35,000" sounds really, really high, though. That's 1,000 a year, or almost 3 every single day, seven days a week, for 35 straight years. I don't think so...

15. nathanso

nathanso Active Member

16. dshoaf

dshoaf That high voltage buzz Subscriber

I've been enjoying some of the nation's jazz stations via Internet radio for the past couple of years.

Favs are:

www.KPLU.org: They've got the standard 48K stream via Media Player and Real Player but I've never gotten the AAC-enabled 64K stream to work for me. Wish they'd go to 128K and soon.

www.KCSM.org: Bay area jazz station with lots of great music. Same issues as above.

www.radioio.com: Discovered these guys via my Squeezebox, which I use to get the audio out and into the stereo. Especially like their Classical and their jazz station. Whatever these guys are doing to the signal before its encoded is excellent, IMHO. If you go straight to their site, you'll get the high-bit-rate streams when you sign up for their service. Depending on what you like, this isn't expensive. They offer 2 128K streams via the Squeezenetwork but you'll have to download the SB3 emulator, Softsqueeze to use them. There's quite a few more high bit rate streams on the SqueezeNetwork, too.

Cheers,

David

17. Cleve

Cleve Proud to be a new resident of beautiful Michigan!

Hmmm, says they're sorting according to variety in their programming (whatever the heck that means) rather than bitrate. A 32 Kb station is at the top - hardly 'high bitrate". :(

18. nathanso

nathanso Active Member

I think tuner2 is focusing on aacPlus as opposed to MP3, and for now they're listing it in all bitrates. Not more than two weeks ago they were sorting by bitrate and it was easy to find the nice feeds.

SomaFM is experimenting with 64K aacPlus on their Groove Salad feed.. sounds nice! Lots of bass.

19. nathanso

nathanso Active Member

I just emailed tuner2 to complain about this and they said they were going back to sorting by bit-rate, or at least offering it as a sort option. Considering all the FM++ listings they now include, this is much needed.

20. nathanso

nathanso Active Member