Intro from Steve from Monterey, CA

Steve R

Hi all, I've been lurking for a few months and thanks to you all I am hooked, in a good way. When I was younger a family friend gave me a cool amp and pre amp that I loved for years. I was around 15 years old when he gave it to me and I didn't know what I had. I listened to it for years then when I moved out of my parents house and it went in to storage. Unfortunately it was an outside, not to great, shed. I finally dug it out and brought it to my home and connected it to some speakers to see the damage, and it needed some work. After months of research I found a shop I felt comfortable leaving it with. I just dropped it off this Saturday. It is a Proton D1200 and the Proton 1100 pre amp. I called him, my family friend, to get the history on it and he told me that he was gifted it from his, now passed away, older brother. Now I knew I had to get it fixed! I did as much as I could by myself but I am not as inclined in this area as I'd like to be, which led me here. Now I'm looking for the right speakers for it and turntable to replace what I had before when I had no idea what I was listening to. I do remember the power this amp had. it was powering 4 12" subs and a mid and high in each
(2) floor speaker and it used to shake the house. I was young and dumb and just liked LOUD. Now, thanks to this forum I am looking for good quality sound. Luckily for me my uncle is an audiophile, that I didn't realize until recently, and visiting him is so much fun picking his brain and listing to his collection.

Back
Top Bottom