iPod Classic 5.5 Enhanced version problems

Discussion in 'PCs & Music Servers' started by Zolton, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Zolton

Zolton Well-Known Member

Hey there folks.
    I have an older iPod Classic and a couple of i20 DACs which I enjoy very much. My old iPod has been acting up so I purchased another. Turns out it's a 5.5 enhanced version which is supposed to be the best one ever for sound reproduction, or so I read.
    Well when i plunk it into the i20, the iPod tells me it's not compatible. Fair enough. The i20 only goes so far into the whole iPod family.
    So I bought an Arcam rDock-uni which is supposed to work with any i device with 30 pin or lightning connection. My old iPod works on it via the 30 pin cable. My daughter's iPhone works on it with the lightning connection but still no music out of the 5.5 enhanced iPod.
    It sounds just fine with headphones, just can't get the raw digital signal out with a DAC.
    Any guidance available from the brain trust here?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've often recommended using the TEAC CD-P650 player with USB iPod connectivity. It never seems to have any issues like the dock units do.

3. Zolton

Zolton Well-Known Member

I actually think it's the iPod, not the dock.

4. BMWCCA

Still betting it works fine using USB output from your iPod. My Last Gen 2014 Classic works perfectly with USB connection to the TEAC, as does my iPhone 6 and many older Nanos and Touches.

5. Zolton

Zolton Well-Known Member

Well...I don't have a Teac CD-p650.
    I do however have a Pure i20 and an Arcam rDock-uni.
    Any ideas as to how I can get the 5.5 classic to work through one of those?

6. BMWCCA

Are you plugging the iPod into the Arcam dock through a 30-pin dock connector our does yours have the USB port on the back for the 30-pin devices? If using USB are you using a known-good USB-30-pin cable? Make sure it's a certified Apple connector or simply try another USB cable and see if that helps.

KentTeffeteller likes this.

7. Mrv8q

Mrv8q Well-Known Member

What makes the iPod Classic a 5.5 version?

8. BMWCCA

It gets confusing and arcane. Supposedly has Wolfson DAC and different "search" function in music menu.
    It gets even more confusing when you get to the "last" generation iPod Classic which is alternately referred to as Generation 6, 7, or 8 (two revisions).
    As to opinions of which iPod version had the best music quality, even the guy who proposed the 5.5 Wolfson version as the "best" qualified his remarks as something like it appeals to the way he listens to music. If you're using a Pure or an Arcam (or my TEAC) it makes little difference since you are essentially bypassing the iPod's internal DAC. In the case of the TEAC, you'll be hearing that unit's PCM1791A Burr Brown DAC.

Mrv8q likes this.
  9. Zolton

Zolton Well-Known Member

That's correct BMWCCA.
    And to answer your questions, the Arcam has an iDevice lightning connector plus a USB. I've been using the 30 pin to usb cable on this 5.5 iPod. The same cable worked fine with my older iPod on the Arcam. I switched cables and that one worked on the old iPod one as well. But neither worked on the 5.5
    I was wondering if it had some setting to allow digital out of the 30 pin port but cannot find anything about that. Or if it needed some special USB to 30 pin cable that is specific to this version.
    ???

10. BMWCCA

If you're using "real" Apple 30-pin cables then I'm mystified. I have seen references to an update for the 5.5G but never found one. I have some older Touch and Nano models along with my 6G Classic and all seem to work fine with ever device I hook up to their output. I just tried them again with the TEAC through USB and a Tascam CD200iB with a 30-pin dock-in-a-drawer. Even my iPone worked in the Tascam using a lightning to 30-pin adapter. Sorry we can't come up with a solution!

11. Mrv8q

Mrv8q Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, BMW. I’m using a 30 pin TEAC iPod dock with my iPod classic, and I like them both
    very much.

I concur that using the genuine Apple cables is a must for most ot these outboard devices. Using an Apple
    30 pin female to lightning connector, I can stream from my iPad to the TEAC DAC. Works great!

Best of luck to the OP.

12. Zolton

Zolton Well-Known Member

I spoke to a few "help line" folks at Apple and I don't really think that they knew 100% what I was talking about. Regardless...in the end, they determined that my device was defective.
    I contacted the fellow I just purchased it from and he isn't willing to take it back. So I have a mint 5.5 iPod classic with original box that doesn't do what I want it to. :(
    Sounds great through the headphone jack though.
    The thing that baffles me is the fact that I was able to load my entire lossless library through the 30 pin connection and that seems to have worked fine. Took about 16 hours.