IPods and You

Negotiableterms

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Subscriber
This forum is about iPods and other Digital Audio Players. You ask why?

For 1/1/05 through 10/31/05, total sales volume of all Home Audio Equipment was about $1,549,000,000. Of that, sales of CD players and recorders were a measley $58,231,000. Total sales of Digital Audio Players were $1,784,000,000. One in four households then owned a digital audio player ("DAP"), and 70-80 percent were iPods. That was October. Apple has now reported that at year-end 2005, it had sold 35,000,000 iPods, of which 14,000,000 were in the 4th quarter of 2005. Apple alone is expected to sell something like 2,000,000 per month in 2006. Total sales of turntables were not reported, as they are statistically insignificant, slightly behind home CD players.

With its playlists and ability to play losslessly compressed files, the iPod is a micro-sized music server, but this sub-forum isn't limited to iPods. Any DAP is included.

There's no such thing as a vintage iPod, but whether vintagephiles like it or not, digital storage of music, one track at a time, appears to be here, and here to stay. AK is all about the music, so the goal of this forum is to understand how we can maximize the quality of digital storage and downloaded music, and learn what gear does it best, and with the highest value, in an effort to integrate the iPod into our music enjoyment.

Last edited:
Negotiableterms said:
This forum is about iPods and other Digital Audio Players. You ask why?

For 1/1/05 through 10/31/05, total sales volume of all Home Audio Equipment was about $1,549,000,000. Of that, sales of CD players and recorders were a measley $58,231,000. Total sales of Digital Audio Players were $1,784,000,000. One in four households then owned a digital audio player ("DAP"), and 70-80 percent were iPods. That was October. Apple has now reported that at year-end 2005, it had sold 35,000,000 iPods, of which 14,000,000 were in the 4th quarter of 2005. Apple alone is expected to sell something like 2,000,000 per month in 2006. Total sales of turntables were not reported, as they are statistically insignificant, slightly behind home CD players.

With its playlists and ability to play losslessly compressed files, the iPod is a micro-sized music server, but this sub-forum isn't limited to iPods. Any DAP is included.

There's no such thing as a vintage iPod, but whether vintagephiles like it or not, digital storage of music, one track at a time, appears to be here, and here to stay. AK is all about the music, so the goal of this forum is to understand how we can maximize the quality of digital storage and downloaded music, and learn what gear does it best, and with the highest value, in an effort to integrate the iPod into our music enjoyment.

While being a die in the wool vintage fan, I have nothing against this new format and media. If it can be patched into my AUX port then it belongs with any other source I have, including my Pioneer HR-100 8 track. However if the avalible tunes cannot be aquired in lossless format or have been mixed with lots of compression I will probably hold off on aquiring one. So far many report that sound quality not all that hot, but I'm sure there is lots of variation in software and listener's perception.

Lefty

QUESTION would this now be the forum for PC based music sources? Another words if I use my laptop as a source for my SA-9100 would I ask questions or make comments on it's use here?

If so I think the new Forum will be a great addition.

until i heard Mark W.'s iPod, i thought my Creative Nomad Jukebox sounded pretty good. then i realized that at some point i had been using it with the EQ sound activated. now that the EQ is off, i think it sounds pretty good again.

i use mine mostly for work and use only maximum quality mp3's (320kb bitrate). its plugged into a Sansui 2000a receiver and a pair of Advent Utilities. sounds very good, better than mp3's have a right to.

I have grown pretty attached to my rio karma. I have no stereo in my car so I use my karma with an altec lansing im7. Sounds pretty good for a mobile rig. Of course only flacs will do. Not really necessary but it makes me feel better

Mark W. said:
QUESTION would this now be the forum for PC based music sources? Another words if I use my laptop as a source for my SA-9100 would I ask questions or make comments on it's use here? If so I think the new Forum will be a great addition.

Thanks and good question. Actually, there's another sub-forum for "PC-Based Music Servers" which would probably be even closer. In fact, there's already a thread there on laptops into analog. On the other hand, it's not like you'll get beaten on if your post is slightly in the wrong sub-forum. The worst that could happen is that your post may not get the attention it deserves.

Negotiableterms I just noticed the new way the forum has been organized and I like it. Got a lot to deal with right now just getting the main system up and running but in the near future I will have a lots of interest in this subject. I want to be able to use my Laptop as a server as well as traveling stereo system for when the wife and I go out and about. SO there will be lots of questions and hopefully lots of feedback as I learn my own system about what works and what doesn't.

My kid is sure she needs an Ipod

Does she really, or are there better choices for portable mp3 playing devices out there? looking for some pros and cons. any input appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

fropiler said:
Does she really, or are there better choices for portable mp3 playing devices out there? looking for some pros and cons. any input appreciated.

The iPod is capable of playing ALC (lossless compression) files. Most other MP3 players do not handle lossless compression. There are some that handle WMA.

The iPods are well made, very well styled, reliable, etc. If I were buying one now for a kid, I'd find a cheap Nano on eBay, because being SS, there's no HD inside to break when it gets dropped, etc. The HD models will hold a lot more, but does a kid really need more than 6GB of music?

I know, I'm old and old-fashioned.

fropiler said:

Thanks,
Ed

There is a reason that iPods have an iron grip on the market right now - they are the best at what they do. Yes, there are other choices, but at the moment the iPod has no cons (in my book) other than initial cost.

I have an iPod mini. My dad and brother have the video iPod.

Yes, there are other choices, but at the moment the iPod has no cons (in my book) other than initial cost.
I love the iPod, but the main con for me is that they are not being supported by any of the monthly service fee based companies (Rhapsody, Yahoo, & Napster). I have two iPods, a 2nd Gen 20GB version and a Shuffle, but my Creative Zen is the one I take on the road with me.

Personally, I feel no real need to buy music for $1 a song off of iTunes or more on MusicGiants. If I really like something, I will buy the CD/SACD, but in the meantime, I can listen all I want for $15 a month on Rhapsody.

Unfortunately, Yahoo now charges $10 a month for their unlimited to go service, so the days of the $50 for a year of unlimited+"to-go" are over. Not sure if your daughter is into music enough to pay that much for the service. I am, but I am a fiend when it comes to music variety.

Also, iPod makes it very difficult to change out the battery. My 2G version has worked for years without an issue, but I hear others have had battery problems in much less time.

Finally, she will probably be happy with any brand you buy her. The iPod is the "hip" mp3 player for the moment, so that may appeal to her. However, once she is able to take her music on the road she will be very happy with any of the players.

As Bill Gibbons on ZZ Top put it: "I think the iPod is a convenience tool that liberates one from having to pull wagons full of heavy products down the steet".

Last edited:
hello i am interested in getting a i-pod soon. i will probably get the shuffle as i would mainly be using it in the car or when i am mowing the lawn, ect. is there a good fm transmitter that anyone could recommend? also what do you think of the i-pod shuffle? i don't need that much memory and i believe it is a flash memory so the batteries will last longer.

bytor said:
hello i am interested in getting a i-pod soon. i will probably get the shuffle as i would mainly be using it in the car or when i am mowing the lawn, ect. is there a good fm transmitter that anyone could recommend? also what do you think of the i-pod shuffle? i don't need that much memory and i believe it is a flash memory so the batteries will last longer.
For what you want it for, it will work great. I bought my shuffle for the small size and I mainly wanted it for yard work and other outdoor activities. I also bought a sports case to keep it dry.

The sound quality is very good on this player. If you can live without a display and only want to access your own tunes (rather that a vareity of tunes by a service like Rhapsody), you should be very happy. :thmbsp:

Here is one of my pups enjoying his (the case protects it from all the drooling):

medium.jpg

Last edited:
uofmtiger said:
I love the iPod, but the main con for me is that they are not being supported by any of the monthly service fee based companies (Rhapsody, Yahoo, & Napster).
File format/Operating system/DRM Licensing/incompatibilities are all impeding progress in that arena.

I like the format at the iTunes store, but I have recently subscribed to yourmusic.com and will probably not buy much at iTunes. I mainly used it for "mix albums", where I did not want to purchase an entire cd I knew I would never listen to.

Personally, I prefer to make Cassette tapes off my vinyl albums and give them away for free. :finger: RIAA!!

File format/Operating system/DRM Licensing/incompatibilities are all impeding progress in that arena.
You point out why it is best to buy CDs if you want the whole album. I also belong to yourmusic, but I only buy Hi-Rez music from them. I would never advocate using iTunes to anyone unless they only want one song off an album and do not mind buying compressed, somewhat-disposable, music.

I personally prefer Rhapsody because I like to listen to full albums by many different artists. Right now, I have a bunch of Rhapsody tunes at work with me. I am listening to Kathleen Edwards now and I have David Gilmour and Van Morrison's new albums on tap. It is a lot of variety, but I still would not recommend a membership for a casual music fan that buys maybe one CD a month. I spent a lot more than that on CDs and this has saved me a lot of money.

I would highly recommend any of the iAudio players by Cowan audio. they sound better than most, come with decent 'phones (Sennheiser) and the JetAudio software will do everything but cook you breakfast. They have lots of different models, look 'em up on the web and check the specs against an iPod.

uofmtiger said:
I personally prefer Rhapsody because I like to listen to full albums by many different artists. Right now, I have a bunch of Rhapsody tunes at work with me. I am listening to Kathleen Edwards now and I have David Gilmour and Van Morrison's new albums on tap. It is a lot of variety, but I still would not recommend a membership for a casual music fan that buys maybe one CD a month. I spent a lot more than that on CDs and this has saved me a lot of money.
That's exactly why I like iTunes - it's free, and I don't use a lot of dispoable income on new music. The one CD a month at yourmusic is about my speed. (Add the fact that anything I download is tied to the computer unless I burn a CD - I don't have an mp3 player!)

One of the big advantages I see in ANY service is the opportunity to audition new artists without scanning the radio stations or buying music "blind" off the top ten list. Case in point: Anna Nalick (Breathe 2am) was a free download at iTunes 4 to 6 months before "Breathe" climbed onto the charts. The music is beautiful, the lyrics kick butt, and I might never have heard it if it hadn't been a promotional item!

Back
Top Bottom