Is a Grado 8mz still worth it at $150?

The are more than flawed. Poor compared to the competition. Get an AT95 with the paratrace stylus, best tip ever used by AT. An AT-VM95SH is cheaper than the gold/silver (they are exactly the same) GRADO and you get in a different world. Not the TOTL but much better.

Why would people pay $299 for a NOS G1 if the Gold2 was a good cart ?
The Gold 2 is a far better cart than the Gold 1, no idea why people would buy the 1 over the 2. I have a Gold 2 , also a Platinum wood, and a Statement Reference (second from top of Grado range) and the Gold 2 is not far behind when set up correctly for correct rake angle. I also have a New ATVM95ML and a AT VM 95 conical which proves the point that stylus is not everything, actually the ML is rather bright but it is a nice cart but love my Gold 2. Also worth mentioning I have a LOT of carts, including many very decent MC's including a Benz Micro Glider, a Dynavector 17D3 a retipped Gas Sleeping Beauty (lovely cart) a Soundsmith retipped Madrigal Carnie one and another one with decent original tip and a bunch of other, oh and my Decca Super gold, also a MP-500, an 881 a 681 with vivid line tip, you get the point I like carts... The Gold 2 gets a lot of use as one of my favs, but it really must be set up not just level and all good but checking rake angle.
Chris

I am convinced, will pick up some in the spring. :thumbsup:
The new VM series is very nice but they do have that bright AT sound that some wont like which is bright side of neutral. Under the microscope the new AT VM tips are lovely the ML is flawless and nude, even the conical which is supposed to be bonded looks nude is of very high quality, actually the jury is still out so to speak but I am currently using the conical version more. The conical has plenty of detail but has a more solid smoother presentation than the ml. Nothing wrong with the ml, but the conical one is a total bargain IMO. Still think the gold 2 does almost everything right though but setup is important. Comparing gold 2 to the older platinum wood I have there is no contest the gold 2 has it by a mile with much better highs.
Chris

The new VM series is very nice but they do have that bright AT sound that some wont like which is bright side of neutral. Under the microscope the new AT VM tips are lovely the ML is flawless and nude, even the conical which is supposed to be bonded looks nude is of very high quality, actually the jury is still out so to speak but I am currently using the conical version more. The conical has plenty of detail but has a more solid smoother presentation than the ml. Nothing wrong with the ml, but the conical one is a total bargain IMO. Still think the gold 2 does almost everything right though but setup is important. Comparing gold 2 to the older platinum wood I have there is no contest the gold 2 has it by a mile with much better highs.
Chris

The Audio Technica lomc that I am using has a very nice nude 0.6 mil conical on it, sounds great.

Not bright, nor dull, very happy with the sound.

Rivals the Denon DL-103 but for much lighter weight tone arms and for mid to higher compliance applications. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the recommendations.

Chris
Give them at least 50 hours to settle in and enjoy......I also have the VM520 that came with the LP 7. .3 x .7 nude elliptical.. it does have less treble energy and is slightly more forgiving of the quality of the vinyl. The VM95 ML mated with the Schitt Mani phono pre is a winner

The Gold 2 is a far better cart than the Gold 1, no idea why people would buy the 1 over the 2. I have a Gold 2 , also a Platinum wood, and a Statement Reference (second from top of Grado range) and the Gold 2 is not far behind when set up correctly for correct rake angle. I also have a New ATVM95ML and a AT VM 95 conical which proves the point that stylus is not everything, actually the ML is rather bright but it is a nice cart but love my Gold 2. Also worth mentioning I have a LOT of carts, including many very decent MC's including a Benz Micro Glider, a Dynavector 17D3 a retipped Gas Sleeping Beauty (lovely cart) a Soundsmith retipped Madrigal Carnie one and another one with decent original tip and a bunch of other, oh and my Decca Super gold, also a MP-500, an 881 a 681 with vivid line tip, you get the point I like carts... The Gold 2 gets a lot of use as one of my favs, but it really must be set up not just level and all good but checking rake angle.
Chris
Try using as little anti skate as possible with the Gold. Also concerning SRA it seems to me Grado's like "ass down" alignment. That is the headshell slightly above parallel. Try it out

Try using as little anti skate as possible with the Gold. Also concerning SRA it seems to me Grado's like "ass down" alignment. That is the headshell slightly above parallel. Try it out
I think it depends on example to example, mine needs tail up to get correct rake angle. Re anti skate, I have heard this before re low anti skate. I have a Kab oil damper which I think helps big time with the high compliance grado, mine tracks fantastically.
Chris

I think it depends on example to example, mine needs tail up to get correct rake angle. Re anti skate, I have heard this before re low anti skate. I have a Kab oil damper which I think helps big time with the high compliance grado, mine tracks fantastically.
Chris
I'm always slightly tail up if not horizontal (if you mean the tonearm dipping gently towards the headshell). What do you use as reference for the rake angle? Front face of cartridge or just ...ears?
Anyway, mine is an 8MX body with 8MZ stylus, wonder if this is also critical for this bundle...
And I'm running them at 1.65g with almost no antiskating.

I'm always slightly tail up if not horizontal (if you mean the tonearm dipping gently towards the headshell). What do you use as reference for the rake angle? Front face of cartridge or just ...ears?
Anyway, mine is an 8MX body with 8MZ stylus, wonder if this is also critical for this bundle...
I set looking at the stylus angle in the groove and of course ears.I set rear of arm up for Grado.
Chris

Chris
Chris....I have always felt Grado's are not the greatest of trackers, but then again no is cart is perfect. Everything depends on system integration along with the room. let's not forget if you are happy with what you are hearing. I worked for JBL for 25 years outfitting studios. I love the sound of big JBL and Altec monitors. Some don't. That's why there is 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins. Something for everyone

Pasquale mostly ears and headphones. I have found many carts like a slightly high than parallel at the headshell.

Chris....I have always felt Grado's are not the greatest of trackers, but then again no is cart is perfect. Everything depends on system integration along with the room. let's not forget if you are happy with what you are hearing. I worked for JBL for 25 years outfitting studios. I love the sound of big JBL and Altec monitors. Some don't. That's why there is 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins. Something for everyone
ATC SCM100's for me, love em..
Chris

Chris

The Gold2 is better (not that far) than the Gold one 1 but still a poor cartridge when compared to the previous TOTL Grados (Z, X, M, G and even F). Statement wood is not second from top of Grado range. Top Grado range is lineage. Platinum is also a poor cartridge, a gold with a wooden body. Can't undestand why you have so many cartidges. You must be both very wealthy and having trouble to choose your cart. Would I have you money, I'd buy some really TOTL cartridges.

I have a Kab oil damper which I think helps big time with the high compliance grado, mine tracks fantastically.
Chris

Back when I had an SL-1200MK2, the KAB damper made a shocking difference with Grados. In fact, I didn't like the brand very much until I tried a Gold1 with the damper, and my jaw hit the floor.

Now I pretty much only use Grados... an 8MR on my AR and a Black2 on my Dual 1019. I also have an 8M, ZC+ and FC+ waiting in the wings.

Back when I had an SL-1200MK2, the KAB damper made a shocking difference with Grados. In fact, I didn't like the brand very much until I tried a Gold1 with the damper, and my jaw hit the floor.

Now I pretty much only use Grados... an 8MR on my AR and a Black2 on my Dual 1019. I also have an 8M, ZC+ and FC+ waiting in the wings.

Grado does not damp the suspension of their cartridges - so that probably explains it. You moved the damping function to the tonearm. Most other major brands damp their cartridge suspension.

ATC SCM100's for me, love em..
Chris
Very good company. Very good monitoring speakers but not in the same league as 4450, 4465 and other big JBL monitors. But you can figure out where my loyalty liies. Fliyd Toole and Chris Hagen

Very good company. Very good monitoring speakers but not in the same league as 4450, 4465 and other big JBL monitors. But you can figure out where my loyalty liies. Fliyd Toole and Chris Hagen
We will agree to disagree on that one.. And dont you mean 4350 and 4365?

Last edited:
Grado does not damp the suspension of their cartridges - so that probably explains it. You moved the damping function to the tonearm. Most other major brands damp their cartridge suspension.
Most arms today are the wrong compliance for Grado, the damper extends the compliance of the arm so making your medium compliance arm work with higher compliance carts, this is why it makes such a difference with Grado. Many who put down Grado have never heard then on the correct effective mass arm. For example I have a Stanton 881 which never sounded anything special (high compliance), then I fitted it to one of my turntables with a very light Hadcock tonearm then the 881 really started to sing, sounded like a totally different cart. Same applies to Grado..
Chris

Back
Top Bottom