Is an ARC LS2 a big jump up from a Soundcraftsmen DX3000

Schmidlapper

I have a line on a very nice ARC LS2 preamp from a friend, and I was interested to hear if others would help me quantify the benifits. The LS2 has likely never been recapped, so electrolytics will be getting old. I have already replaced all electrolytics in the Soundcraftsmen, a mid 1980s unit, and all in all I feel the DX3000 is a pretty nice little pre, but is at best mid-fi. I will get to audition the LS2, but with his Macintosh tube amp, and I just have a Soundcraftsmen A2801 MOSFET amp, much like the MA2502. They say the sound really starts improving with the preamp so I have been looking at those. So is it likely going to be a big improvement?

Since I believe that a move to an ARC contemporary of the Soundcraftsman would be a major step up, moving to a newer unit (early 90s introduction) would be a nice step up.

So is it likely going to be a big improvement?
My guess would be yes. You're replacing a JRC op amp based line stage with a weak power supply to a hybrid tube/FET unit with a far stiffer power supply and better quality passive parts.

I used a similar vintage SP-9MKIII for sixteen years.

Click here for more info.

The Soundcraftsman looks good inside. Some of the traces in the ARC gear are huge, probably the power supply side. Able to let that signal flow.

One thing I have done to help the Soundcraftsmen tremendously is that along with a quality set of new caps, I used a very specialized test device called a Quasimodo designed by Mark Johnston over at DIY audio, and installed a matched set of snubbers across the transformer secondaries resulting in some extremely clean D.C. The sound stage and instrument separation of this little pre have on occasion startled me. That is kind of why I am asking the question, because if the LS2 is that much better it would have to be almost overwhelming.

Final decision, I'm staying with the Soundcraftsmen. It came down to the fact the Soundcraftsmen sounds really good and has the features I need and like. I'm sure the ARC is a super pre, but sometimes compromise rules the day.

Features are a big seller. Glad you were able to make a decision on what to use. The DX3K does look nice. Now all that extra money to spend on something else....

It's a reely good thing you can relate to compromise ,to like sound craftsmen this is required other than the output transistors the components are all of poor quality the layout is a mess and the chassis is weak , in the positive side it cheap

I'm sure this makes him feel good about his decision to stay with the Soundcraftsman. If he like the sound of it and is comfortable with the build, let him enjoy his decision. You don't have to listen or look at it.
Regards,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom