Where is JBL going?

Last I checked jbl was huge in the pro audio world. Jbl srx dominates the portable pa world and the older sr, mpro are in high demand.

Here are some shots of the room and speakers:
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 022.jpg
Picture 021.jpg

I've been basically on a slow break-in, listening to just classical music at low volumes. They play very nice at low volumes. The HF drivers are awesome.

'ner

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 7
They don't have any cupped hands or nasal sound like some horn designs, at least not that I've noticed.

Harman owns, H-K, JBL, Revel, Lexicon, Mark Levinson. and others. I do not think Samsung is stupid enough to allow these brands to die. I think they will allow them to continue as they are.

Rather than complaining about it and speculated negative idea, let's see where they go.

I think there's a big difference between letting a brand die, and letting it continue as is. Every big company is run by business people trying to turn a profit. It's inevitable that they will look at opportunities to consolidate across brands, which at some point turns into a badge engineering effort. Do I really need an individual 12" driver for each of my speaker brands, or at some point can I just pick one, stick a label on it for whatever box it's going into, etc.

It's tough to watch beloved brands go this way, but when you become part of a larger parent company it's the way things are. It happens in every industry.

bs

the potential for development of great products is there- crown XLS series in recent years have a cult like following and I see them everywhere, and this is still when crown/HK/jbl was a loose conglomerate

As far as production of speakers the average person can afford that have an edge over the established value brands (elac/tekton/etc) I wouldn't hold your breath

Does anyone know how a pair of the new JBL Studio 580 speakers would compare to a set of vintage Thiel CS3.5 speakers?

I haven't heard a pair of Thiels since the '90s, so it would be hard to say. I can say that I like the 590s sound better overall than the B&W Nautilus 803s I owned previously if that's any indication, and you don't need something like the Thiel's line-level EQ unit to get decent 40Hz response (though I do use an EQ).

I really worked on the new JBLs today. Oddly to make things sound correctly, I had to reverse the phase of the surround speakers....no big deal. So I put on a CD (Camel - Coming of Age) and cranked them up for the first time. OMG!!!! They certainly deserve to stand along side of the Martin Logans.

Here are some observations. First, there is a guy on u tube that did a 33 minute review (and said absolutely nothing) about the 590s. He made some statements that are complete BS. First off:

JBLs can play very softly.
The compression driver is not harsh (if it is, its your source)
They have a huge "sweet spot" so you can share with your sweetie.
With even a modest sub, the 580s have more then enough guts to make glory.

It's the symbiotic driver in these speakers that make them special. They are clear, fast and dynamic. It's blend with the smaller ( and fast) 6.5" dual mid/bass drivers make the speakers "attack", in a very scary (but realistic) way. As a musician myself, the 580s made guitars sound real, drums sound real, Hammond organs with Lesilies sound real. Stuff is floating in the air.

The plus for me is that the 580s are rated at 6 ohms. That makes the power output of my older Sunfire II at about 500 watts RMS per channel. Powerful, dynamic, clean and fast. They are perhaps better then my MLs.

I'm impressed anyway.

T
I really worked on the new JBLs today. Oddly to make things sound correctly, I had to reverse the phase of the surround speakers....no big deal. So I put on a CD (Camel - Coming of Age) and cranked them up for the first time. OMG!!!! They certainly deserve to stand along side of the Martin Logans.

Here are some observations. First, there is a guy on u tube that did a 33 minute review (and said absolutely nothing) about the 590s. He made some statements that are complete BS. First off:

JBLs can play very softly.
The compression driver is not harsh (if it is, its your source)
They have a huge "sweet spot" so you can share with your sweetie.
With even a modest sub, the 580s have more then enough guts to make glory.

It's the symbiotic driver in these speakers that make them special. They are clear, fast and dynamic. It's blend with the smaller ( and fast) 6.5" dual mid/bass drivers make the speakers "attack", in a very scary (but realistic) way. As a musician myself, the 580s made guitars sound real, drums sound real, Hammond organs with Lesilies sound real. Stuff is floating in the air.

The plus for me is that the 580s are rated at 6 ohms. That makes the power output of my older Sunfire II at about 500 watts RMS per channel. Powerful, dynamic, clean and fast. They are perhaps better then my MLs.

I'm impressed anyway.
These aren't your grandpa's horns. That old stereotype of harshness and ringing is not relevant to this generation of speakers. They are dynamic, detailed, expressive, and very very very neutral.

Folks looking for an $800 pair of speakers are going to be hard pressed to do better. Buy them while they are still available......

Regards
Mister Pig

Yeah, well, I'm doing a lot of Googling now. Reviews, images, specs, prices, details etc. I wish they were blowing out the wood grained models; they actually look quite nice. Tomorrow I may try to find someone at Harman's eBay sales department and ask if they have any lying around ...

How did you choose between the 580 and 590? I recall reading somewhere that Greg Timbers prefers the 580.

How did you choose between the 580 and 590? I recall reading somewhere that Greg Timbers prefers the 580.

While the 590s get a bit better reviews, they are also much larger and much heavier, like 50" tall and 70 lbs. I also don't listen to music that loud and had an existing sub-woofer, so the extra everything of the 590 wasn't needed.

Love the cherry - but - even with the Magnepans gone, we have no room,
and Emma would shoot me if I put the Von Schweikerts up for sale!

I see what you mean; big size difference. The 590s are huge!

The few reviews I've found have been brief and vague; no real testing or analysis. One negative comment I keep seeing is that the plastic feet are total shyte, and often break in shipping; just held on with wood screws. Sounds like an easy upgrade, though.

20120425101440854.jpg

Back
Top Bottom