Where is JBL going?

I haven't heard a pair of Thiels since the '90s, so it would be hard to say. I can say that I like the 590s sound better overall than the B&W Nautilus 803s I owned previously if that's any indication, and you don't need something like the Thiel's line-level EQ unit to get decent 40Hz response (though I do use an EQ).
I've seen some Thiel 3.5's on ebay. with the eq. The eq actually gives them good response down into the 20's. Priced nicely as well.

So why is the general consensus that JBL is dead when they are evidently making the 590 and others that are at a price and quality competitive? These i could actually afford and may be tempted to buy at some point. Next time the wife grumbles at the size of the L200's I am going to show her these!

They've probably been in the production pipeline for a while, before the Harman sale to Sampsung ...
Someone at Lansing Forum said Amazon dumped a ton of them a year or so back ...
Looks like Crutchfield had them in Cherry once too ...

Last edited:
<snip>
What a let down it would be if $500 was all it took to be "done" buying speakers.

Really? Why would you want to pay more? If you could have the be all, end all of speakers for a price that was affordable to pretty much everybody, what's wrong with that?

bs

They've probably been in the production pipeline for a while, before the Harman sale to Sampsung ...

Yeah, they're discontinued I'm sure, and they're probably clearing out a warehouse to make room for a bunch of Bluetooth, color-changing showerhead speakers.

The smaller 530s and 570s look sweet too. Just add a sub and Robert would marry your mom's sister.

Last edited:
Yeah, well, I'm doing a lot of Googling now. Reviews, images, specs, prices, details etc. I wish they were blowing out the wood grained models; they actually look quite nice. Tomorrow I may try to find someone at Harman's eBay sales department and ask if they have any lying around ...

Good luck widdat. From my searching around at the time, the only places I could find Cherry versions were Synthesis dealers (who were of course asking full retail or nearly so); i.e., artificial scarcity for something other than the generic Black. I got these through JBL after having returned two Black pairs with cab damage and threatening a refund request and going elsewhere, when magically, Cherry pairs of the 580 and 590 were "found" at JBL.

:rolleyes:...grats to the marketing/bean-counter asshats at Harmin'.

Anyway, unfortunately not much out there on the 580s but fairly cursory write-ups, but here's something on the 590s that's relatively decent: http://i.nextmedia.com.au/avhub/aus...013-08_jbl-studio-590-loudspeakers-review.pdf

As I've said, having used them both in my room I'd be happy with either model - the 580 for the more manageable size; the 590 for the larger soundstage and bass extension, and the 590s being 2 1/2-way the transition from horn to mid-bass drivers is less noticeable than on the 580s.

Great bargains both!

Edit: I actually do have an Uncle Bob. Apparently subs weren't required for that. :rflmao:

Last edited:
<snip>

Really? Why would you want to pay more? If you could have the be all, end all of speakers for a price that was affordable to pretty much everybody, what's wrong with that?

bs

The reason is that if it doesn't have a boutique name, made of unobtainium, sold in an audio "salon", and 2 or 5 times higher price, it must not be worthy of being in the "audiophile" snob hierarchy lexicon.

The other thing is brands like JBL are too associated with commercial or industry use to be deemed "refined" enough for some of our delicate sensibilities. Gimme a break. This isn't Victorian England. Of course, some people feel a need to show off to their friends how well they're doing. I think that's pretentious and lame.

Been there, done the "upgrade" merry-go-round for decades. It just gets too expensive and tiring so I got off it years ago. My advice: first thing one should do is stop looking at stuff like Stereophile and Absolute Sound, et al except for perhaps objective measurements. They're intended to foster an addiction.

Carry on!

All good points, although there's a more benign reason, too: A cheap "one and done" speaker could put a bit of a damper on the endless hunt for bargains and classics, and buying and selling and obsessing, which a lot of us enjoy as a hobby. But speaking purely rationally, it makes sense.

Last edited:
Yeah, they're discontinued I'm sure, and they're probably clearing out a warehouse to make room for a bunch of Bluetooth, color-changing showerhead speakers.

The smaller 530s and 570s look sweet too. Just add a sub and Robert would marry your mom's sister.
Looking at JBL's Home audio site they claim to be currently sold out of the 590's but will be shipping in the end of May for $999.95 each!
If they are as good as the reviews I have read, I would probably pay this for them, but I have been a loyal JBL nut for 44 years, don't see that changing..
http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+590.html

These are not the "be all to end all" speakers. At $399 each, they are a real good buy. I have some really good electronics in front of these, The Sunfire II amp @500 watts RMS per channel, a Sony TA-E9000es preamp, a Sony XA20es CD player (as a drive) going into an Audio by Van Alstine Vision DAC. I have some old Definitive Technologies surround speakers powered by a 100 watt RMS per channel TA-N220 (built in the Sony ES factory) running in BTL mode (2 channel) and finally a REL T-5 subwoofer. My room measures 28' X 32'. I probably could make a cheap pair of Klipsch speakers from Best Buy sound great.

That said, these speakers do some things very well, mostly because of its HF driver which is crossed over very low (1,500hz). The cabinet finish is OK, but certainly not like a Salk or some other high end maker's works of art.

Yes the footing for the speakers is made from ABS plastic, however, the carton is well designed and unless it really took a hit from the bottom, I do not see how they could get damaged.

Now that I know what is going on with JBL (from what other contributing AK memebers have said in this thread), It is obvious that they are getting rid of inventory for either of several reasons 1)new models, 2)no new models - going in a different direction 3) unknown.

I currentyl own a pair of JBL S109 Aquarius IV speakers that I just love. Before that I had a pair of L-100s for about 17-18 years. I liked them, but I modded them to be bi-amped. I wanted one more new pair of JBLs before they either went away or I couldn't afford them. That is when I started doing some research on the subject. I didn't even know this series of speakers existed until a few weeks ago. Perhaps that is "Shame on JBL" for not advertising correctly. Never seen an ad in Stereophile or Absolute Sound. No where. I have been to RMAF and all I seen there was the mega-buck stuff.

Is the new Andrew Jones ELAC stuff better? I have no idea. There is lots of stuff in this price range from Wharfedale to Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber, Focal and on and on.....

'ner

Wayner, can you compare the 580s to any classic two-way horn JBLs like the 4425, 4430, or L200? I have to think that with lower sensitivity and smaller bass radiating area, they're not going to sound as punchy or play as loudly, but with a modern compression driver and horn and crossover design, and smaller baffle, they're going to be more neutral and image better.

I'm waffling like mad on this possibility; almost shimmering with vibration.

tumblr_ly09oeeSKY1rnzjqfo1_500.gif

animated-matrix-image-0015.gif

Last edited:
Their sensitivity rating is 90db/m/w, that is pretty good. I was listening last night at around -40db (on the Sony preamp) and they were nicely loud (what ever power output that converts to????? I think the 590s are rated at 94db/m/w. My friend had a pair of L-200s that I didn't really care for (next to his Santiagos), as they seemed to have a few peaks and valleys in the response. I liked the Altecs better (and so did he) so the L-200s are gone.

Thanks. Yeah, I understand that the L200s, particularly the original version, had some notable shortcomings. I have not heard them myself, and probably should have confined my question to the 4425 and 4430 speakers, which I gather you've not heard.

Alright already. I couldn't take it any more. I just bought a pair of the 590s to try out.

Hahahaha!

Alobar & Zonkers - just go ahead and get a pair before they're gone. Don't torment yourself like Decibel_116 up there did. :biggrin: I paid more a few years ago than they're being offered for now so it's really a steal I'd say, and I thought they were a great value then.

Put it this way: when I've been asked about it I've recommended this series to at least three people who've bought them and all three were very happy with the purchase. Sure, I can name a few speakers that I like a bit better or for other reasons, but they're also way more dinero, huge and/or heavy, and some need stupid arc-welder amps. Meh.

Thanks, AG! I may just do that; great advice. The 580 auction ends tomorrow so I will try to decide today. It helps that they offer returns and free shipping, on top of the great price. Hard to beat that.

In the meantime, I checked your profile to see if you had posted a thread on the JBLs, and I saw instead that you have some 4412s. How do they compare to the Studios? Do you have the 580s or the 590s?

Back
Top Bottom